Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Wholeheartedly agreed. A lovely disc, and in addition to Petri's contribution Jarrett plays with liveliness, grace, or sensitivity as the music demands. It makes a particularly nice companion in the car when stuck in traffic. It is, by the by, an RCA recording, issued on CD as RCA 09026-61274-2. Note that most of the pieces are transposed from their flute keys to suit Petri's recorders.

sherrill50 likes this.
  2. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

As Carrie Fisher said 'The trouble with instant gratification is that it takes too long.' :p

ToddBD, DeepFloyd11 and Wes H like this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Or perhaps better put this way:

"The trouble with instant gratification is that it takes too long," said Carrie Fisher, Forcefully.

Which brings me to a question that came up a few days ago: why did Arthur Fiedler's recordings not get better treatment from RCA after his passing? I have no definitive answer, but I can speculate on a few things. One is that the Boston Pops latched onto a glamorous figure to replace him in the person of John Williams (composer, not guitarist); when you're pushing the composer of Star Wars music, probably a guy associated with Leroy Anderson and his ilk seems just a bit old fashioned. Second, unless my (proven faulty) memory is, well, faulty, didn't Fiedler jump ship for Philips at the end of his career? Jump ship or get pushed, one of the two? No label ever wants to promote a former member of its roster. Third, while in his prime Fiedler was a real master of "light classical" music, by the end he was doing more and more stuff like Beatles for Big Band, again pretty lame when put up against that new, exciting Star Wars type material. Fourth, but related, one of Arthur Fiedler's stocks-in-trade was orchestral arrangements of popular tunes, and by his end popular music had swerved away from anything that a "pops" orchestra could present without sounding a bit silly.

Just a few thoughts. No authority behind them beyond having mulled over the matter for a while since the question came up. These views reflect the author's opinions only. YMMV. Etc., etc., &c.

ToddBD and Wes H like this.
  4. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

According to Discogs, he did a number of recordings for DGG in the 1970s. I've also heard that the relationship between Fiedler and the musicians became downright toxic near the end of his tenure - they resented having to play what many considered hackneyed and lowbrow material. As I understand it this actually continued to be a problem under Williams, and was only ameliorated when musicians got more choice about whether or not to do Pops concerts. Also, the contemporary orchestral pop hasn't aged well at all - the stuff that's aged best is the light classical and big band type stuff.

In other words, I pretty much agree.

Wes H likes this.
  5. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing, CD 16:
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    – Concerto for Violin No.1 in B flat major K 207
    – Concerto for Violin No.2 in D major K 211
    – Concerto for Violin No.3 in G major K 216
    David Oistrakh (violin) – Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra – David Oistrakh (EMI Classics)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

[​IMG]

crispi, alankin1, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  7. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ToddBD, crispi, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

In the '70s, I would occasionally watch PBS broadcasts of the Fieldler/Boston Pops concerts... and often wince. The programming was mostly light classics peppered with arrangements of some pop/rock tunes of the day. Cameras would pan down through the audience and you'd see that the seats on the floor in Symphony Hall had been removed and replaced by cafe tables & chairs. Waiters were scurrying between tables, pouring wine, etc. Hard to take any of it seriously.

ubertrout likes this.
  9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I've had the Ciaccona from Partita BWV 1004 for some time now, played by Yves Rechsteiner on pedal harpsichord. It is quite remarkable.

However, I was wondering about getting a version on solo violin. Can anybody recommend any especially good performances on CD (or SACD or Blu-ray or DVD-Audio)?

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 - featuring all those highly popular Schumann piano works from my Schumann collection ...

[​IMG]

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, alankin1 and 2 others like this.
  12. coopmv

:edthumbs:

13. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Going out of my mind on yet another Saturday trapped indoors by bad weather/some sort of freezing precipitation.....

Been going through some NM mono DGs I picked up a couple of months ago. Particularly enjoyed this one:

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, Marko K and 4 others like this.
  14. coopmv

How do you like this Decca Duo?

15. DeepFloyd11

:love::righton:

16. DeepFloyd11

That's too bad that you have crappy weather....here's it's just the opposite. Simply a wonderful spring like day. 16 C ( 60 F) , sunny...awesome. So I haven't listened to music much but now we're home and I am going to indulge :goodie:

On the TT.....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  17. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Well, I hope that your good weather is on its way my direction!

Enjoy your weekend and great choice of music!!

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I found a couple of those a few years ago Borodin, Straus, Mozart and Liszt. I had never seen them prior to that.

NP Fritz Reiner and the CSO w/Leontyne Price - Spain (RCA) SACD

ToddBD and Eigenvector like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

But...but...she's Canadian!

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  20. DeepFloyd11

The weather here is always very unpredictable ...the proximity to the Rocky Mountains is the culprit. We have a saying here....' if you don't like the weather....wait 5 minutes'.
    I remember a lyrics by Genesis.....When the evil of a snowflake in June can still be a source of relief'....
    I never understood what that meant and found it a bit absurd, until I moved here. Snow can come down ANY month of the year. It's unusual - but it happens!

I hope your weather improves soon. Spring is very much needed, at least for me. I enjoy the outdoors so much.....and besides hopefully the 1 CAD record sale will start again :D.....can't wait to find more treasures and add to my collection.

Eigenvector likes this.
  21. DeepFloyd11

Hahaha...so is Glenn Gould!! Well belonging to any nationality / country is definitely not a guarantee to be liked but everyone. Ms. Hewitt has many fans and followers....I am just not one of them. :tiphat:

22. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

From the Decca Sound Analogue Years: [​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

These old tulip label recordings are so nice to own....there is something truly special about them. I have found only one so far during my digging. Several other tulip label, but with the more modern covers/ artwork etc...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Well, sir, they've outdone themselves, then, on #2; the orchestra just shines throughout the entire work just brilliantly. I haven't ordered the complete set yet, but I could not find a new set from Europe for that $30 price mentioned above either.

Casagrande likes this.
  25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing, CD 1:
    Franz Liszt (Sony Records)
    – Concerto for Piano No.1 in E flat major S.124 — Arthur Rubinstein (piano) – RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra – Alfred Wallenstein
    – Concerto for Piano No.2 in A major S.125 — Van Cliburn (piano) – Philadelphia Orchestra – Eugene Ormandy
    – Totentanz S.126 — Byron Janis (piano) – Chicago Symphony Orchestra – Fritz Reiner
    – Hungarian Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra S.123 — Philippe Entremont (piano) – New Philharmonia Orchestra – Seiji Ozawa

[​IMG]

Casagrande, Mik and DeepFloyd11 like this.