Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, which arrived from across the pond a few months ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

I finally got all the Schnabel's Beethoven Piano Concertos which I did not get a few years ago when I acquired all of his Beethoven Piano Sonatas on Naxos Historical

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Not long ago finished transferring and editing all my Schnabel Beethoven concerto recordings, being the full set with Sargent and the two remakes (nos. 4 and 5) with Stock and the CSO from the early '40s. Schnabel did most of them yet again some years later with Issay Dobrowen, but I neither have nor have heard any from that series. My copy of the later 4th cto. recording is almost certainly a memento of the teacher who drilled grammar, punctuation, and spelling into my reluctant brain in my junior year of high school; inside the front cover is an inscription "to so-and-so" from two names, same as the distinctive first names of the lady and her husband. I wish I could tell her how much I owe her, but she's been gone for many years now. Sigh.... Anyhow, critical consensus seems to relegate the Stock recordings to second-class-citizen status, but I'm not sure quite why: I haven't tried playing the accounts back to back yet, but taken on their own terms Stock's orchestral contributions strike me as wanting nothing for strength, support, or polish. Another case of boosterism from the critical crowd across the Pond? Dunno, but at some point I do need to sit down and do a systematic direct comparison.

ubertrout, Wes H and ToddBD like this.
  3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I look forward to hearing the Klemperer. I do own his German Requiem which is superb. Part of the reason I enjoy the Solti Brahms symphonies is the sound quality. I have the old London CDs from the 80s and I find the sound quality of these recordings to be superb and close to perfect. In fact for the 4th symphony, my favorite, I have compared the Solti to the Kleiber closely a few times. I want to pick the Solti in this comparison because the recording quality is so good, but the Kleiber just has a magical quality to the interpretation that makes it my first choice.

ToddBD likes this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I struggle with this this all the time: Performance vs. sound quality.
    Performance/interpretation most always wins (if the recorded sound is not too harsh) because it takes me to the soul of the music--that is, it brings out the essence of the work that moves me to want to hear it again.
    Sound quality, however, can also be a motivating factor so long as the performance isn't too shabby, adding a dash of excitement or revealing new details that a mediocre recording lacks.
    Also, I have to admit that occasionally a transparent recording has enticed me to listen to music that I might otherwise have overlooked.

bruce2 and dale 88 like this.
  5. coopmv

As usual, MOT did a superb job in reconstruction/remastering ... :agree::righton:

6. coopmv

For me, it is usually cut and dry, performance trumps sound quality. These days, there are too many new bloods whose performance is really not up to snuff but have been pushed by record companies for geopolitical reasons or just a pretty face along with advance of the latest sonic technologies in order to sell more music. Sorry, I don't fall for this nonsense.

7. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived from across the pond a few months ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

A Tony Faulkner recording.
    Michael Tippett
    Concerto for Double String Orchestra
    Fantasia concertante on a theme of Corelli
    Ritual Dances from The Midsummer Marriage
    Andrew Davis
    BBC Symphony Orchestra
    Teldec, 1996
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  9. coopmv

Now playing CD1 - Symphony No. 1 for probably a second listen, though I must have bought this box quite a few years ago ...

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and ToddBD like this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing CD8 - Symphony No. 8 from the following box for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I checked this out by synchronizing the 2nd movement of my Columbia R-T-R commercial tape edition with the same track on Columbia's single-issue LP.
    In less than a minute it was obvious that all the repeats were missing from the LP edition. My rough timing showed that 2nd mvmt. on the tape edition ran for another 3:20 longer--which is close to what the two-platter LP version (in the box set) lists.
    At least Columbia didn't cheat their tape customers. The tape also has a sensible side change--just after the 3rd movement.

Walter H likes this.
  12. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection for probably the second listen ...

[​IMG]

13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Throwing it way back...on the turntable...
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, Wes H and bruce2 like this.
  14. dale 88

Karel Ancerl
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
    Mahler: Symphony 1
    Strauss: Till Eulenspiegels
    Supraphon, 2002
    recorded @1964
    [​IMG]

ToddBD and scompton like this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

16. dale 88

[​IMG]
    CD 1
    Joseph Keilberth
    Bamberg Symphony
    Smetana: Ma Vlast

Fritz Lehmann
    Bamberg Symphony
    Dvorak: Symphony No. 8

17. dale 88

cd 1
    Jean-Pierre Rampal
    The Complete Erato Recordings I. 1954-1963
    Erato, 2015
    01 - (5:46) Michel Blavet Concerto in a Minor 1.Allegro
    02 - (3:45) Michel Blavet Concerto in a Minor 2.Gavotte(1&2)
    03 - (4:47) Michel Blavet Concerto in Aminor 3.Allegro
    04 - (5:08) Pierre-Gabriel Buffardin Concerto in E Minor
    05 - (4:20) Michel Corrette Concerto in G Major Op.3 No.6 1.Allegro
    06 - (1:45) Michel Corrette Concerto in G Major Op.3 No.6 2.Adagio
    07 - (2:59) Michel Corrette Concerto in G Major Op.3 No.6 3.Allegro
    08 - (1:09) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.5 in C Major K.187 1.Allegro Moderato
    09 - (0:50) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.5 in C Major K.187 2.Menuetto
    10 - (1:01) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.5 in C Major K.187 3.Adagio
    11 - (1:11) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.5 in C Major K.187 4.Menuetto
    12 - (0:54) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.5 in C Major K.187 5.Allegro
    13 - (1:59) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.5 in C Major K.187 6.Allegro Moderato
    14 - (0:27) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.5 in C Majou K.187 7.Allegro Molto
    15 - (0:50) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.5 in C Majou K.187 8.Allegro Non Troppo
    16 - (2:12) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.6 in C Major K.188 1.Andante
    17 - (1:52) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.6 in C Major K.188 2.Allegro
    18 - (1:10) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.6 in C Major K.188 3.Menuetto
    19 - (1:34) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.6 in C Major K.188 4.Andante
    20 - (1:00) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertimento No.6 in C Major K.1885.Menuetto
    21 - (0:47) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Divertiment No.6 in C Major K.188 6.Gavotte
    22 - (2:29) Giovanni Battista Pergolesi Concerto No.2 in D Major 1.Amoroso
    23 - (1:59) Giovanni Battista Pergolesi Concerto No.2 in D Major 2.Allegro
    24 - (3:30) Giovanni Battista Pergolesi Concerto No.2 in D Major 3.Grave
    25 - (2:21) Giovanni Battista Pergolesi Concerto No.2 in D Major 4.Presto
    26 - (3:52) Giovanni Battista Pergolesi Concerto No.1 in G Major 1.Spiritoso
    27 - (4:47) Giovanni Battista Pergolesi Concerto No.1 in G Major 2.Adagio
    28 - (2:52) Giovanni Battista Pergolesi Concerto No.1 in G Major 3.Allegro Spiritoso
    [​IMG]

18. dale 88

cd 2
    Jean-Pierre Rampal
    The Complete Erato Recordings I. 1954-1963
    Erato, 2015
    [​IMG]
    includes some Vivaldi, Sammartini, Quantz, Telemann, Loeillet, and Bach

ToddBD likes this.
  19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Hard to top Colin Davis leading the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Haydn symphonies. Exciting and brilliantly recorded.
    Philips LP, 1976, Holland pressing.

[​IMG]

Mik, dale 88, ToddBD and 3 others like this.
  20. coopmv

Strongly :agree:

21. dale 88

[​IMG]
    Karel Ancerl
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
    Stravinsky: Petrouchka; Le Sacre du Printemps
    Supraphon, 2002

solid

geralmar and ToddBD like this.
  22. dale 88

[​IMG]

A worthwhile set. The BBC Philharmonic plays with finesse under Vernon Handley. The fifth disc is an interview with the conductor.
    Vernon Handley
    BBC Philharmonic
    Chandos, 2003
    5 CD
    Bax: The Symphonies

ToddBD and Fafner88 like this.
  23. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I have this set of Brahms Symphonies on SACD (conducted by Otto Klemperer). If you are a fan of these recordings, this version is worth getting. It's the cleanest sounding iteration that I have heard.

My favorite modern SACD recording of the Brahm's Symphonies remains that by Zdenek Macal conducting the Czech Philharmonic. It's a very straight-forward interpretation with gorgeous sonics.
    [​IMG]

My biggest problem with many recordings of these symphonies concerns tempi that are too broad, too slow, so that the sense of orchestral line unravels....these ultra slow tempi cause the works to bog down and drain away all the passion and excitement from the music.

Why on Earth would a conductor play a movement marked "Allegro Energico e Passionato" as a Funeral March? Too many do. This is a great mis-interpretation.

Another problem that I often hear is a lack of clarity, a lack of attention to various orchestral sections and instruments that causes the orchestral colors and details in the scores to be obscured in a thick gray muddle or fog. It's a murky, opaque conception of these works, where the music's inner lights don't shine out. I hear this problem often. Many conductors only touch the surface of these works.

I don't hear any of these problems with the sets conducted by Klemperer and Macal.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Are you familiar with the Solti Chicago Symphony set from the 70s? If so what do you think of it?

ToddBD likes this.
  25. layman

layman Forum Resident

I have it but have not yet listened to it enough (just once I think) to give an opinion. I will have to give it another spin.

[​IMG]
    I recently came across Symphonies No. 1 and No. 3 from the set above (conducted by James Loughran) and was blown away by the passion and excitement that the conductor brought out in the music. This is the way I like Brahms played.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    ToddBD and bruce2 like this.