Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    from the Gendron box set on Decca:
    Maurice Gendron and Pablo Casals in the Haydn and Boccherini. Gendron and Dohnanyi in the Tchaikovsky.

2. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    If you like Kleiber's recording of the 4th Sympony, then you may also love this recording...same orchestra, better sonics and a more probing interpretation....those inner lights I talked about are lit perfectly, revealing a galaxy of music that most conductors never knew was there.

Mik, Wes H, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've mentioned this more than once before, but my favorite Brahms symphony recording is of no. 2 performed by the Berlin PO under Max Fiedler, a member of the Brahms circle who lived long enough to make some early electric recordings (the even less well remembered conductor Julius Pruwer was another). Somehow, there's a "rightness" about that account that makes it, to my mind, the most idiomatic Brahms I've ever heard. I've never gotten the same feeling from the same conductor's only other recording of a Brahms sym., no. 4 with the Berlin State Opera Or.

In the United States, both the Fiedler recordings were issued on Brunswick under license from turn-of-the-'30s Polydor.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Wes H and ToddBD like this.
  4. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Tangentially related, when the ninth was reissued as a "Great Performances" CD the scherzo repeats remained missing. When the cycle was issued in three "twofers", however, the scherzo repeats were restored as well as the sound improved in the ninth.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Wes H and Walter H like this.
  5. dale 88

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Reinhard Goebel
    Musica Antiqua Koln
    Telemann: Tafelmusik
    Archiv, 2010
    4 cds
    recorded 1989
    This is a marvelous performance.

Mik, Wes H, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD22 -

Haydn Piano Sonata No. 62
    Schubert Sontinas for Violin & Piano Nos. 1 & 2

from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  7. coopmv

This is one of the five versions of this work in my baroque collection ...

8. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

That was back in February, assuming it's accurate (a contemporary article from The Guardian supports this account, but another blog has one comment suggesting Dutoit and Argerich downplayed the incident, whatever it was). Evidently whatever infighting was going on in the museum's administration has blown over, as the place holds itself out as open to visitors:

Maurice Ravel Fondation

What concerns me more is the suggestion artifacts have gone missing and the Guardian article's suggestion the place is (or, at least, was) in dire need of maintenance and conservation.

Anybody here have more recent info about the Dutoit/Argerich brouhaha?

MC Rag likes this.
  10. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Thanks for this post and the further discussion about Brahms's symphonies. I've listened to other recordings of these works but I don't love any of them yet. Maybe these suggestions will give me something new to chew on.

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Glad to hear it!

12. dale 88

CD 32
    Michel Plasson box set
    Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse

Honegger: Symphony no. 5

EMI, 2010
    37 CDs
    [​IMG]

13. dale 88

CD 2
    Bamberg Symphony: The First 70 Years
    DGG, 2016

Mozart: Haffner Serenade
    Ferdinand Leitner, conductor

Beethoven: Symphony No. 1
    Joseph Keilberth, conductor

14. George P

I have very little Telemann. Your post prompted me to check amazon about this set, along with a larger set (same composer and performer), for not much more money. I am still debating how much Telemann I want. Decisions, decisons.

15. George P

How would you characterize Gendron's style? Romantic? Classic? Modern?

16. George P

I've yet to hear a composer who is more fun than Poulenc. :wave:

ciderglider and Scope J like this.
  17. George P

I've not heard Davis's Haydn, but I am very happy with my Decca set. I can't believe how quickly it went OOP.

[​IMG]

18. George P

When the performer(s) are playing in a manner that I connect with, a well recorded orchestral recording can indeed be stunning. I am reminded of the Rudy/Jansons EMI recording of the Rachmaninoff Paganini Rhapsody. However, if I am not connecting with the performance, the greatest sound in the world does absolutely nothing for me.

Walter H likes this.
  19. dale 88

I wish I had purchased the bigger set myself. But, Telemann has not been one of my goto composers so far.

George P likes this.
  20. dale 88

Someone mentioned his lyrical style, but I think his "clear, precise style, without effect" pushes him more into a modern style. For his Bach suites, the notes writer writes of his "vaguely aristocratic reserve".

George P likes this.
  21. George P

Ah, thanks!

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Still available in Europe.

23. coopmv

In addition to the CD box by MAK, I also have the following 6-LP box on Telefunken. This may well be a better box and probably has been remastered to CD ...

[​IMG]

24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Last night I managed to listen to the three recordings I own of Brahms 4th back to back to back in their entirety. I started with the Kleiber which I stated previously was my favorite. I found the interpretation enjoyable last night but was not pleased with the sound quality. I find it very lacking in bass and warmth, just like Kleibers Beethoven symphony recordings on DG. Next I played the Solti. Excellent sound quality and good performance but I find it not quite as emotional as Kleiber is to me. Still a powerful performance with stunning sound and good bass. Lastly I played the Abbado Berlin Philharmonic recording from 1992 on DG. Maybe I was fatigued but I am surprised how much I enjoyed this version, when I listened to it previously I did not care for it and kind of dismissed it. Better sound than Kleiber although not as good as the Solti on Decca, and a nice interpretation to my ears.

layman and Wes H like this.
  25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I've been on a real Brahms kick lately and listening to and comparing a few different recordings of his symphonies. Last night I ordered a new set to try out, Andris Nelsons and the Boston Symphony just released this year! The reviews I read and sound samples I listened to convinced me to order this new set and give it a try. Supposedly excellent interpretations and superb sound. I will report back when I listen to it in a couple days.
    [​IMG]

SteelyTom and Daedalus like this.