Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. marcel

marcel Alea Iacta Est

Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately, as you can see, this time the Amazon pic is not very detailed,

[​IMG]

but a good guy on Amazon.de wrote everything

Please, scroll down and read the review of user "Von DaveH_SF", he typed all the info

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01FNAHZFY/

the list can be found on prestoclassical too

Presto Classical - Vivarte Collection Vol. 2 - Sony: 88985332072 (CD) - Buy online

...even if it's slightly confusing, because it's not clear what's included on every single disk

By the way, Amazon Italy raised the price but Amazon Germany is still selling it for € 59.99 and some reputable sellers on Amazon.com (eg Import CDs) have the box for $55

as for the OOP discs, most of the ones included on "Vivarte 2" are currently unavailable, some can be found as part of a few Sony Classical compilations, but they're not as cheap as this 60 Cd box, considering the price for single CD.

If you're patient enough, you could watch this you tube video, I didn't make it to the end, but I believe it shows every single disc in the boxset. And its detailed booklet (I believe it's about 240 pages)

Bubbamike, Wes H and George P like this.
  2. George P

George P Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands! Thread Starter

What a useful post!

Many thanks for that, @marcel !!

marcel likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Thanks for posting that box CD listing image. Indeed, it is not easy to read that list, which is also not particularly useful as to whether a particular recording is OOP ...

The youtube post is excellent!

4. marcel

marcel Alea Iacta Est

You're very welcome :)

George P likes this.
  5. marcel

marcel Alea Iacta Est

Yeah, I know. Some days ago, I spent many hours trying to figure out what was and what was not available. Some discs could be found used on Amazon or ebay or discogs, but they're more expensive. And I should've paid shipping for every title.

So -what the heck- I ordered the box. It should arrive here shortly, probably by the end of this week. I'll scan the "content" side of the box and upload it here, for future reference. In higher resolution. Weird that amazon only had that small, ugly pic.

6. coopmv

I actually went through the entire youtube. There are at least a half-dozen of recordings by Van Nevel, a few by Leonhardt and some by Immerseel, the Kuijkens and Blysma - all are worth getting. The downside is there are somewhere between 15 - 20 recordings by the Tafelmusik that are in all likelihood redundant IMO.

7. marcel

marcel Alea Iacta Est

These are some of the Cds in the box

Schutz: Symphoniae Sacrae II: used from £18.99 (coulnd't locate volume I)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schutz-Symphoniae-Sacrae-Vater-Abraham/dp/B000024FSQ

[​IMG]

From the Court of Frederick the Great (used from £ 6.61) performed by B. and W. Kujiken with Bob van Asperen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Court-Frederick-Great-Frantisek-Benda/dp/B000024XMK/

[​IMG]

Harpsichord music from the Dresden court (used from £24.72) performed by Gustav Leonhardt

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weckmann-Froberger-Harpsichord-Kurfüstliche-Cembalomusik/dp/B000024DA4

[​IMG]

Music From The Court Of King Janus At Nicosia (used from £70 :eek:), performed by Huelgas Ensemble/Paul Van Nevel

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Court-King-Janus-Nicosia/dp/B00005KKOF

[​IMG]

Las Ensaladas (used from £18.98), again performed by Huelgas Ensemble/Paul Van Nevel

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ensaladas-Paul-Huelgas-Ensemble-Nevel/dp/B000026I5J/

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  8. marcel

marcel Alea Iacta Est

Of course. I considered the cost and the time of getting what I really wanted, having them all in one shot was the better solution, imho. Having some discs than I won't listen to, not a problem.

9. coopmv

When I bought the Karajan Symphony Edition box, the only recordings I did not have were his Schumann's and the box was going for over $100 and OOP. I also did not quite have all his Haydn Symphonies. It was therefore a no brainer to get that box even though I already some 30 duplicates ...

[​IMG]

marcel likes this.
  10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    A new talent I like.
    Guillaume Bellom
    Schubert; Haydn; Debussy
    Claves, 2017

12. marcel

marcel Alea Iacta Est

some of these "mega boxsets" are oop for some months then are readily available again, the Karajan can be purchased for $ 42 now. Another one that was going for crazy money was "The Decca Sound", now back in print even with some minor packaging differences (I believe the opening is no more on the top, audio content is the same as the first edition)

13. andolink

andolink Well-Known Member

This 3-disc set arrived today and I put on the first piece on disc one and...OMG...absolutely breathtakingly beautiful--

Salvatore Sciarrino: Variazioni for violoncello and orchestra (1974)
    Francesco Dillon, cello
    Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale della RAI/Tito Ceccherini

[​IMG]

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Listened to audio samples again and did indeed hear some clicking. Did you hear anything from the label after all?

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've been spending a good bit of quality time with the old Haydn quartet series recorded by the Pro Arte Qtt. in the 1930s.
    Hi, George,

I think that's more a sign of the sad state of modern reviewing than anything else. A really good critic, one like Andrew Porter for example, can explain his opinions and what underlie them so well that even if you don't agree, you can understand why his opinion is what it is. That's what I like about B.H. Haggin, for instance; I certainly don't agree with all the brickbats he hurled at Brahms, but I definitely can hear what bothered him--it just doesn't bother me, or not as much.

George P likes this.
  16. George P

George P Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands! Thread Starter

Has anyone checked out the home page recently? A post was made on September 2 (my birthday) that mentions a few threads on the forum and this one was among them! The second one listed, in fact. I thought that was pretty cool and wanted to share.

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Bamberg Symphony Orchestra

Kurt Sanderling
    Beethoven: Symphony No. 6

Antal Dorati
    Dvorak: selections from Slavonic Dances, op. 46 & 72

DGG, 2016

18. Anybody knows anything about the recording of this record set and its year of pressing? Plain red Teldec-Telefunken-Decca labels. An 11 LP set I bought myself, sealed, and the oddest thing for a set like that is... no booklet or leaflet! There is not a year printed in sight, and I can't find any listing on Discogs...

Played side 1 so far. Quite beautiful sound and pressing...

[​IMG]

19. RickA

RickA Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just finished 'Stravinsky: Le sacre du printemps' conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen . Fantastic Hybrid SACD - DSD, you can really show-off your sub with this disc. Playing the 5.1 channel version. Wow!

Rose River Bear likes this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to this 3-LP box set of Bach: The Six Partitas played by Glenn Gould. Issued on Columbia Masterworks, 1966.

[​IMG]

BlueTrane, vanhooserd and hvbias like this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

On the way home tonight, as is my custom, I was listening to our local NPR affiliate, and the announcer informed us, "Glenn Gould wasn't the only pianist to play Bach. Another fabulous player who has devoted a lot of time to Bach is [I knew this was coming] Angela Hewitt. She has won [awards and awards and awards, etc., etc., etc.]" And so on came a recording of Ms. Hewitt in the C Minor Toccata, BWV 911.

To quote--Lily Tomlin, was it? "Boooooooorrrr-ing!"

What do people hear in Hewitt? Slow, uninflected, painfully straight playing, as dull and unimaginative and "reverential" as can be. Even the most po-faced HIP of the HIP would be more animated. A seemingly endless voyage from tedium into apathy--and this was Bach, here. And yet, she does get all those awards. And people do flock to her concerts and buy her recordings. And I, I remain utterly mystified.

Yes, there are other pianists besides Glenn Gould who have made Bach sing and dance and impress. Angela Hewitt is not one of them.

Wugged and Rose River Bear like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

A killer Rite.
    Hope you are OK and made it out of the storm with little damage.

23. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

The few discs I have of her probably have more dust on them than most of my other discs that rarely get played. You reminded me why I don't listen to them.

Wugged and drh like this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I agree with you on all accounts... Yes, there are other pianists who play some amazing Bach. Martha Argerich, for one.

But Angela Hewitt? Dreadful. I have her account of the "Goldberg Variations" on a (used) CD that I bought on a lark for 50 cents. First time playing it I could not get past the 6th variation before ejecting the disc and putting it back into it's case (forever). I noted that the case was cracked and thought-- yeah, likely the reaction from the last owner slammed his fist on it, then dumped it.

25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Playing some piano music of Erik Satie this morning. This 1978 LP is a real alphabet soup: Philips label with "Made in Brazil," Mercury logo on jacket, liner notes in Portugese. No matter, the music is beautiful. Pianist Evelyne Crochet was born in France, but is a U.S. citizen after moving here and studying extensively under Rudolf Serkin. On the Vox label she made the first recording of the complete piano music of Gabriel Fauré.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, hvbias and Eigenvector like this.