Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Must Be The Music Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the first of Serkin's four Columbia recordings of the Brahms Piano Concerto 2. I usually don't like how orchestral recordings sound in mono, but this one (1945) was recorded quite well.

As for the sound in general on this set, I am happy to report that it is excellent! I have only heard the first five discs in full, but they sound great. I also have compared the sound on this set to about 10 prior releases of the same performances from Pearl, Naxos Historical and SONY. In each case, the new set sounds as good as, or better than prior CD releases.

Rose River Bear and Wes H like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Forum Resident

Yes, I really like that one too. The copy I have looks like cdrs though. It's been a while since I bought it so I don't remember why I think that but I was suspicious when I first got it. I'll have to pull it out and look at it again. The sound is fine but there was something about the discs that made me question it.

3. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

4. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

Spinning this fine performance-

[​IMG]

Dave S and Wes H like this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

George P likes this.
  7. George P

:agree:

8. George P

Nice to see you, @Rose River Bear !

Rose River Bear likes this.
  9. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

For the umpteenth time this month,
    Satie: Socrate / Reinbert de Leeuw and Barbara Hannigan- Trois Mélodies Sylvie

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Sad news: Czech harpsichordist Zuzana Ruzickova died a couple of days ago.

Holocaust survivor musician dies at 90

I first made acquaintance with her work back when I was in college and bought a two-record set in which she played a collection of Scarlatti sonatas and a single LP of her playing Couperin, both on Supraphon. As I'm recalling it, I paid a pretty penny for the Scarlatti set, the only one I could find with L. 345 on harpsichord, those being the bad old days of the turn-of-the-'80s when Scarlatti on harpsichord was very difficult to find. (His music back then tended to be the phonographic domain of guitarists more than anybody else, with piano being in second place and harpsichord bringing up a distant rear. I regret to say that situation appears to be reasserting itself to some extent.) The Couperin, by contrast, I'm almost sure was in the "bargain" bins. All would have come from the Sound Warehouse store in Houston on late night, "let's all pile into our buddy's car and go on a record run" excursions. Got a lot of pleasure out of all three records in ensuing years, although the Scarlatti wasn't necessarily the best from the standpoint of the recording engineer's art, at least as heard on my modest, nay, retiring equipment of the time.

Not too long back I bought a reissue of her complete Bach hpd. music cycle, but I haven't opened it yet--in large part because I wanted to approach it systematically, not just play a few bits and shove it aside. I guess I'll move it to a more forward-placed burner now.

Marzz, Wes H and J.A.W. like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sad news indeed. I've seen quite a few Zuzana Růžičková obits this week here in Europe; she was revered here.

12. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Well-Known Member

Disc 12 from the Decca Analouge Years CD box set.

[​IMG]

13. Kundera the joke.

From the Decca Analouge Years CD box set.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Marzz, royzak2000 and 2 others like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just got the Ekaterina Derzhavina/Haydn set from Amazon Germany, along with the Sviatoslav Richter/Beethoven set on the same label (Profil). Maybe it's my aging hearing, but I didn't hear any clicking, and I played several discs quite loudly (I hope my neighbour didn't mind). Mine could be a new pressing.

15. Kundera the joke.

16. George P

Who did the transfers in that release? I haven't seen it before.

I happen to love the transfers of those performances by Opus Kura, more than the Pearl or Naxos transfers.

17. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

18. Kundera the joke.

The only info on the CD is the label. ZYX Music/Austromechana. (2012)

It sounds very nice though. Having played it quite a few times over the last year, I’ve not been disappointed with it.

George P likes this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the wonderful performances from this LP, via the new Serkin box set:

[​IMG]

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Names change and get around, but back when the CD was still a fairly new kid on the block ZYX was one of the super-budget lines that drew on the same licensing pool--Mediaphon, I think it was--as labels like Pilz Vienna Masters Series and Classics d'Oro (but not LaserLight, which as far as I know drew from other sources or did its own recording). The performance quality could be variable, but some nice things hid out in such unlikely garb, including most of the Chopin recordings known to me by Peter Schmalfuss. (Note: When we compared, uh, notes some years back, George wasn't as impressed with Herr Schmalfuss as I am. As they say, "YMMV.") If you can believe the attributions, not necessarily reliable, some of the orchestral issues were under a conductor named Anton Nanut, who evidently was much bigger beer than the dubious stable of origin for these recordings would lead you to believe.

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hi, George,

Does the collection include Schubert's 2d pno. trio by the same forces? It's a perfectly sublime performance, the one that for me sets the bar for all others. Hermann Busch's cello will tear your heart out. Originally on 78s; I assume it must have been issued on Columbia LP at some point (it definitely was in a drab COLH issue).

23. George P

They include the 1951 recording but not the 1935 one. I have the latter on a Pearl 2CD set.

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

...and I wrote an obituary that can be had here: [Obituary] Zuzana Růžičková

Marzz likes this.
  25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the wonderful performances from this mono LP, via the new Serkin box set. An online buddy swears this is one of the very best recordings of this work:

[​IMG]