Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

a nice deal!

2. Mowgli

Mowgli Well-Known Member

This 170CD one from Brilliant Classics? - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00L2SQVVQ
    I got it for 83EUR including shipping to the USA
    It's cheaper when you put it in your cart because it removes the VAT

3. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

[​IMG]Utterly captivating and melancholic, perfect for those reflective moods.

Mike burgess and George P like this.
  4. Zafu

Zafu Forum Resident

I'm absolutely in love with this recording and performance.

[​IMG]

JMR and George P like this.
  5. George P

George P Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have and enjoy Leeuw's digital solo Satie recordings.

HenryFly likes this.
  6. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

We have similar tastes. Not only Nick Drake.

George P likes this.
  7. George P

:agree:

8. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    There's just so much that's right about this Gielen & Rickenbacher co-production. On its release there should have been just joy, sheer joy that we could hear this music again.

9. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Sorry to reply to my own post but I took it too much for granted perhaps, that outside German-speaking Europe the name Franz Schreker would be associated with anything at all, let alone being banned by Nazis and then neglected until the 80s. He was the Austrian Jewish poster boy of Weimar-era opera. The Wikipedia article will tell you the rest.

crispi likes this.
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Forum Resident

Now on the turntable, "Heinrich Isaac - Grands Motets Solennels" performed by Ensemble Chanticleer and the Clemenic Consort on Harmonia Mundi France.

[​IMG]

andolink likes this.
  11. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying the above CD from the above box set. Absolutely lovely playing and sound. Thanks, @dale 88 for the reminder about this budget box!

dale 88 likes this.
  12. George P

I haven't heard Volodos play the solo works, but then I do not like his Rach 3.

Another cycle? Sorry, can't help there. And I don't even think Katchen's set is terribly solid. I would suggest buying single and multiple disc sets that compile some of the works. Like the Angelich set above, the original mastering of the 2CD Gould set (my favorite of his non-Bach recordings), the Lupu recordings and the Kovacevitch recordings - in that order.

hvbias likes this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Thank you George. I have the Lupu Complete Solo so I will play those now. Just ordered the remastered 2 CD for Gould, very excited to hear it as I've read one or two other good opinions of the performances on the original mono LP.

IME Gould in his early years can be a bit brisk is that the case with the Brahms?

George P likes this.
  14. George P

Not at all. And only half that set is from his earlier days anyway.

hvbias likes this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

You're right, extremely well paced on the Intermezzi. On his early recordings of Beethoven or Mozart it's like he wants to finish them ASAP.

Also ordered the Angelich after reading some more reviews. There is a UK seller that has one more copy on Ebay for $19 shipped. I have numerous Brahms Piano Concertos so it will be nice to hear a new recording of those!

16. George P

Yeah, he reportedly hated Mozart and recorded his piano works to prove it. :laugh:

What a great price! :righton:

hvbias likes this.
  17. George P

@hvbias - I had a chance to hear his Brahms today and was not moved by it.

hvbias likes this.
  18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Isn't there a thread birthday soon? Or did I miss it? Tried to find the original CMC thread, and it seems to have disappeared.

I bought several CD sets on Testament when they passed through Berkshire recently, and yesterday I sampled the one devoted to Ernst von Dohnanyi. Disc 1 contains a recital he gave at Florida State University in 1959, one of his last. Disc 2 has a short recital of his own music from the Edinburgh Festival a few years earlier plus some odds and ends broadcast in 1936.

The FSU recital includes two big sonatas, Beethoven's op. 31 no. 1 and Schubert's D. 894, together with three short pieces by the pianist. I've heard better sound--there's some distortion at the outset of the Beethoven--but on the whole it's certainly serviceable. The Beethoven was attractive enough, but the real winner here, in my opinion, was the Schubert; I really, really liked Dohnanyi's rather old-fashioned way with the piece. I was listening at the office through headphones; must schedule a date with that one through my main rig soon.

19. George P

The original thread is still here - Classical Corner - Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

And yes, as of October 26th, it is our 9th anniversary! :pineapple:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    hvbias, Wes H and RiRiIII like this.
  20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

What an awesome cake. Here's to many more years to come !
    BTW George, I am trying to figure out the difference between this thread and the "Conversation" thread. I get confused due to my old age but they seem the same to me.

22. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

23. George P

Thanks man! :wave:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  24. Rose River Bear

I love that disc.

Laibach likes this.
  25. Rose River Bear