Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying the another CD from the above box set. Once again, this is absolutely lovely playing and sound.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

I don't have a single CD featuring Angelich.

3. George P

If you are a fan of Rachmaninoff, I urge you to grab this CD.

And if you are a fan of Brahms, I also urge you grab the above 10 CD box set. It's under $18 new from amazon.

hvbias likes this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Wow that box is a bargain. I am going to order it. Thanks for the suggestion.

bruce2 likes this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Speaking of Rachmaninov I played Richter's Carnegie Hall Prelude Op.23 No.1 and Op.32 No.9, 10, 12 recently. Completely blown away by the performances. Ashkenazy was fresh in my mind, and IMHO it was quite a let down; just bland all around with little dynamics and tonal color.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

7. George P

Richter's Rachmaninoff is superb!

If you want some in much better sound, for under $10 new - https://www.amazon.com/Rachmaninov-Preludes-Etudes-Tableaux-Sergei/dp/B003CP1SRE

hvbias likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

9. George P

Yeah, I have that one too. It has the same performances. First issued on CD on Olympia, then Regis, then Alto - all the same performances.

10. Rose River Bear

11. George P

Yes, the set filled in a number of holes in my collection as well. I think you will really enjoy the set. I know over the years we almost always agree on classical music performances.

12. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

I'm home to check on this, these are also on the Eurodisc box. Some of those labels start to get a bit confusing with the number of times they changed name/transferred ownership :)

I'll play it afterwards to see if the Sony mastering is better.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    George P likes this.
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Igor Stravinsky – Petrouchka (1911), Le Chant du rossignol, Quatre etudes (London / Decca Records)
    — Armas Maiste, piano, James Chompson, cornet, Timothy Hutchins, flute, Robert Early, trumpet, Ellis Wean, tuba – Orchestre symphonique de Montreal – Charles Dutoit

[​IMG]

JohnnyZ and crispi like this.
  14. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just ordered this Brahms violin concerto and sonata disc by Gluzman. Are you still enjoying your copy and recommend it?

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've been working my way through an order of Testament CDs that I placed at Berkshire a while back. Tonight I opened the last of them: a 2-CD set of Richard Strauss's last concerts, performances with the Philharmonia and BBC SO he led at a festival in his honor in 1947. A word of warning to those who might be likewise tempted: aside from the Burleske, which is the sole segment of the concert professionally recorded, all the works included are in ca. 5-minute fragments with ca. 15-bar breaks between, because they were taken down by an engineer off air on 78 RPM acetates, and he lost some music each time a blank needed changing. I saw no mention of the lapses on the CD cover and learned of them only upon consulting the track list in the booklet. I imagine what's there will make for interesting study and comparison with other, complete recordings, but it won't do for simple "I want to hear the piece" listening.

16. Zafu

Zafu Forum Resident

This is absolutely stunning. Took some of this afternoon off from work and was in complete bliss. This may be the most perfect opera recording I've ever heard in terms of my own musical enjoyment.

[​IMG]

About to order this one, recorded in 1960 and wondering if any of you have some feedback and while we are on the subject, would welcome any suggestions for awesome Opera performances, as I've often obtained great recommendations from you folks.
    [​IMG]

Thank you and peace,

Zafu

vanhooserd, JMR, crispi and 2 others like this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

How is the sound quality of the Beecham La Boheme?

Zafu likes this.
  18. Zafu

Zafu Forum Resident

It's phenomenal. Incredibly clear and detailed.

bruce2 likes this.
  19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Wow I am just starting to try some opera and last night after seeing your post decided to order a copy of La Boheme. I read all the reviews I could find and ended up ordering the Karajan version with Pavarotti because it seemed to be the best combination of a good performance with excellent sound. I read a few reviews saying the Beecham sound quality is not very good. However based on what you say I may have to order both and see for myself! Both versions the Beecham and Karajan seem to be almost unanimously praised as two of the best Bohemes.

20. Zafu

Zafu Forum Resident

While so much in music is subjective, I am compelled to tell you to ignore those negative sound quality reviews. For all we know, they are listening on ear buds. The detail and dynamics are glorious.

Cheers,

Zafu

21. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks I ordered a copy of the original 80s non-remastered EMI cd. Can't wait to hear it!

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

You might also want to consider the recording led by Arturo Toscanini, a radio broadcast concert performance from 1946. The sound, of course, is not modern stereo, but Toscanini led the opera's premiere and was closely associated with Puccini for the rest of the composer's life.

Zafu likes this.
  23. Zafu

Zafu Forum Resident

Sending you a PM. It's the one that was remastered in 1986 with EMI on the lower right as in the picture I posted.

24. It looks like the ECM catalogue is on Spotify! :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

Eigenvector and crispi like this.
  25. layman

layman Active Member

I only got a chance to listen to it one time before I had to box it up for storage. I look forward to getting it out of storage and listening in more depth...hopefully in the next month or so.