Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Love Will Lead Us Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying another listen to this three CD set, this time from the big Serkin box.

Although the 1960 Op. 110 in this set is the very best recording of that work that I have heard, I would suggest finding earlier recordings by the pianist (if/where available) of the other works.

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've been listening to some late Mischa Elman, from the two-box collection of his LP era recordings for Decca. So far, his account of Beethoven's "Spring" Sonata has caught my ear as a particularly lovely performance, warm and affectionate. His "Kreutzer," while certainly impassioned, still yields to my long-standing favorite, the Busch-Serkin recording from the '30s.

3. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Well-Known Member

New member on the forum. Thanks for pointing out the "Collector's Choice" boxset and links to the reviews. Always looking for something different. Just ordered it!

ubertrout likes this.
  4. George P

Welcome to Classical Music Corner! :wave:

crispi likes this.
  5. George P

[​IMG]

Having seen the DVD last week, now listening to CD 2. I know that he was revered by many of his fellow pianists (including Gilels, Richter, Yudina and Neuhaus), but I often find myself struggling to hear what they must have heard. Not that I don't enjoy his playing, it's just that I find it inconsistent. At his best, like in the Chopin Scherzo 1 on CD2, he is impressive, but I find he is rarely at his best. At any rate, I will keep listening, for there was a time that I didn't "get" Richter, and with continued listens, he became my favorite pianist.

6. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this CD, the penultimate disc in the big Serkin box.

Wes H likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Besides the Scriabin I sent you I don't find Sofronitsky the ultimate performer for a lot of what he recorded. Shura Cherkassky is another I feel this way about though his fans can be quite vocal. I am skipping that Melodiya set for now as it's not very complete and duplicates a lot of material on the fine sounding Japanese Denon CDs.

The Lili Kraus recommendation from the mega box thread made my best of 2017 :) Most satisfying album purchase of 2017?

A happy new year to you and any other Corner readers!

8. George P

Yeah, even his Scriabin has yet to wow me.

So glad you enjoyed it as much as I do!

Thanks, and a very happy new year to you as well! :wave:

9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

Happy New Year George.

10. George P

Happy New Year, buddy! :wave:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  11. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the final disc in the big Serkin SONY box. I recalled enjoying this recording a lot less the first time I heard it, a few years ago, than I am now. Still, it's a decidedly unromantic reading of a romantic era composer and for me, not among my many favorites for this great work.

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD3 - Piano Sonatas Nos 8 - 11 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  13. George P

Some muscular Beethoven, eh, Stuart?

14. coopmv

Kovacevich is among one of the very few native-born American pianists I like but that list does not include Van Cliburn ...

15. George P

Yeah, I am not big on Cliburn either.

16. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I think I have 4 of his piano concerto recordings on the RCA Living Stereo SACDs. I like his Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1 but the others don't do much for me. For example the Pollini - Bohm recording I recently got of the Beethoven Emporer Concerto smokes the Van Cliburn version to my ears!

George P likes this.
  17. coopmv

Same here! I have a grand total of 4 recordings by Van Cliburn - one SACD and three redbooks and I do have a good sized piano music collection ...

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

My collection is probably smaller. The Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky is the only recording I have of that work but I like it so probably won't seek out another version. Do you have that one and if so do you also like it? I'm not too knowledgeable about piano playing so appreciate other opinions. George's positive opinion regarding the Pollini Beethoven Emporer as one of the best was spot on!

George P likes this.
  19. coopmv

I have the following SACD, which is probably what you have as well ...

[​IMG]

IIRC, I think it is okay though I have quite a few other versions that are better.

vanhooserd likes this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Yes that is the one I have. I listened to it about a week ago and really enjoyed the Tchaikovsky but the Rachmaninoff didn't do much for me.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

Same here. I have not listened to that disc in ages. I need to revisit it.

George P and bruce2 like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

That recording of the "Choral Fantasy" is a real winner. What a peculiar piece! I've heard it said that it may in part be an improvisation that Beethoven subsequently wrote down. Whatever, I've always enjoyed it, even if it is, by Beethovenian standards, a bit wacky at times. Do the program notes mention, as my single issue ones do, that at least at that time the "Choral Fantasy" was the traditional closing number at the end-of-festival Marlboro Festivals each year? Oh, by the way, for those who audition equipment now and again, the "Choral Fantasy" is an ideal test piece, because it has a bit of almost everything: solo piano, piano and orchestra, solo voices, chorus, full orchestra, and little episodes for many of the major orchestral choirs--more than a hundred years before Benjamin Britten's "Young Person's Guide."

In keeping with this piece, let me wish everyone at CMC a fantastic 2018!

Wes H and George P like this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

The trouble with Cliburn is that his winning entry into the Tchaikowsky competition, which catapulted him to instant center stage fame, was a "hail, Mary" effort to turn around a career that up until then had been heading nowhere fast. Naturally, once he came back as a Cold War artistic hero, everyone expected him to play everything and to play it at the same kind of level that had won the prize in Moscow--but his prepared repertory was quite narrow, and now he didn't have time to broaden and polish it. From more or less ignored to far too much attention too quickly and too soon--not a happy formula for sustained success.

And yet he could deliver some lovely musical goods when conditions were right. Somewhere or other I have a collection of Brahms short piano solos, bits and pieces from among the intermezzi and capriccios and whatnot, that I used to enjoy quite a lot. I suppose I really should dig them out and give them another whirl.

crispi, ubertrout and bruce2 like this.
  24. George P

I agree that solo Brahms is one area where Cliburn does well.

I decided to pull out my sole Cliburn release and give the aforementioned Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 1 a spin:

[​IMG]

I am only a few minutes in, but I was surprised by the immediacy of the recording. I was previously listening to a pop CD and actually had to turn the volume down a bit. :eek:

25. coopmv

Now playing this long forgotten LP from my early music collection ...

[​IMG]