Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Happy New Year, Classical Music Corner! :wave:

I can't let New Year's Day pass without playing some GG... so into the CD player goes Bach Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8 from the "remastered" (2015) box set.
    Recorded in June & September, 1962, at Columbia 30th Street Studio, NYC.

[​IMG]

2. George P

George P Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango Thread Starter

Happy New Year, @Wes H and my fellow Classical Music Corner friends! :wave:

Wes H likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Happy New Year, George!

First question of the New Year.
    It looks like this box consists of mainly recycled recordings I already own, can you comment?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. George P

Same to you, Stuart! :wave:

Sorry, I am not familiar with that box. I see that they included his Rach PC 1, which is second to only Janis/Kondrashin.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As I posted in the Classical Mega Boxes thread I avoid labels like Documents. Their sets may be a bargain, but they usually sound not as good as official sets (i.e. sets released by the owners of the recordings) that are taken from original sources like mastertapes etc. and the packaging is mostly minimal.

6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  7. George P

I'm not sure, but if it was, it's worth mentioning again! Happy New Year!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    RiRiIII likes this.
  8. George P

[​IMG]

No, he's nor singing, he conducting (and playing the piano.) And it's awesome!

RiRiIII and crispi like this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

You're sure he's not playing air guitar? ;)

RiRiIII and crispi like this.
  10. George P

:laugh:

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I also enjoy that disc!.

George P likes this.
  12. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

George, I have the Rubinstein Living Stereo SACD of these concertos. Do you find the Zimerman superior in sound and performance?

13. George P

Yes and yes.

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yesterday evening, I paid a visit to one of those little, jewel-like but infrequently heard works that make classical music such a joy: Dvorak's Rondo in B Minor for cello and orchestra. I recommend it as a tonic for those of us who are recovering from the effects of the bomb cyclone that skirted up the US East Coast yesterday. (Happily, here the effects are limited to just enough snow to be a nuisance plus bitter cold temperatures.) Also tried to play a couple of cylinders--first Alessandro Bonci in a coupling of "La Donna e Mobile" and "Questa o Quella" on a single 4-minute record, then an old German hymn sung by a long-forgotten German opera singer from the turn of the 20th c. on a two-minute wax--only to find that the recent repairs to my player were not a success. Sigh....

15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Is this the same Rondo that I have as G minor? I first heard the Rondo in G minor from a LP I picked up in the seventies.

Maurice Gendron, cello
    Bernard Haitink
    London Philharmonic
    [​IMG]

16. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I also have a recording with the Rondo in G minor. It is Opus 94.

dale 88 likes this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Looks like my credit card may be taking another hit.

crispi likes this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Listened to the second piano concerto from the above set today. As with the first concerto on CD 1, the performance was beautifully nuanced, with incredible dynamics and sonics. For those who don't know, Zimerman chose and trained the entire orchestra himself and felt so strongly about this release that the pianist demanded his first recording of these works with Giulini be withdrawn by DG. I can't see why anyone would argue with this, as Zimerman wrings every bit of beauty from the fairly lackluster orchestral writing for these works. A truly special set.

crispi and dale 88 like this.
  19. crispi

crispi Forum Resident

I agree. Wonderful performance and much better sonics than the older recording.

20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First classical CD I ever bought, in a small shop in Vienna. Spinning now :targettiphat:

dale 88 and Wes H like this.
  21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

This morning I'm playing this Pathé Marconi EMI (French) LP issue of Beethoven Trio No.7 ("Archduke") and Trio No.8.
    Artists:
    Pinchas Zukerman, violin
    Jacqueline Du Pré, cello
    Daniel Barnboim, piano

Performance is lovely, though it lacks some of the "bite" that I generally prefer for Beethoven.

[​IMG]

This is a handsome tri-fold album containing many pictures. Unfortunately (for me) all the text is French.
    Some pictures showing the recording session:

[​IMG]

bruce2, crispi and George P like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yup--somehow mentally conflated the key of the concerto with the title of the rondo. :oops: I have that same recording (in a CD issue), although the one I played the other night was Tortellier/LSO-Previn, from the big complete Tortellier EMI box.

dale 88 likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

An interesting Eloquence set that was reviewed favourably by Jed Distler. Never heard of Australian pianist Eileen Joyce before.

Eileen Joyce - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Quite a fine pianist; I have some of her 78s, including the first recording of the Shostakovich 1st pno. cto. (but good as it is, I like the one by her countryman Noel Mewton-Wood even better).

25. George P

I sampled some of her recordings when APR did a set of her recordings and found she wasn't for me.