Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Love Will Lead Us Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Also sprach Zarathustra from the above 2CD set.

royzak2000 and Rick Robson like this.
  2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Herbie the K flies the bus.

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The unlovely sources of tonight's sounds. Haydn 26, 42 & 43 by The Academy of Ancient Music conducted by Christopher Hogwood, Mozart Piano Concertos 15 & 16 played & conducted by Murray Perahia with the English Chamber Orchestra and Mozart violin works played & conducted by Pinchas Zuckerman with the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra. I recorded these with Dolby noise reduction but am playing them with it turned off. This sounds better to me, which may demonstrate my loss of higher-frequency hearing since they were recorded around 20 years ago.

David*M likes this.
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Piatigorsky's memoirs, titled simply Cellist, can be read for free online here: Cellist, Gregor Piatigorsky's Autobiography They make for interesting and sometimes very entertaining reading.

fitzrik, dale 88 and George P like this.
  5. drh

drh Talking Machine

...Or it could simply be a matter that the tapes have lost high frequency content over time. I believe that's characteristic of tape as a medium. It could also be a matter that your current deck is not aligned as was the one on which you made them; if one or the other is or was out of calibration, it could easily cause tapes to play with a loss of high frequencies with Dolby engaged. Not knowing the brands involved, did you record them on a Nakamichi and now are playing them on some other brand of deck? Or vice versa? Tapes made on Nakamichi decks supposedly do not "travel" well. I gave up on Dolby C on my Nak deck because the tapes simply were unlistenable on anything else. I think the same holds true the other way, or at least is supposed to.

Apologies for going off topic. To bring things back, for the first time in years I heard one of the late R. Serkin/Claudio Abbado Mozart concerto recordings (specifically, no. 9) on the radio this morning. When it was announced, I was hoping perhaps I'd find it more to my taste than the last time I heard one of them. Alas, no soap; the first mvt. was just a plain ol' slog, no other word for it. I still remain of the opinion that Serkin, superlative artist that he was, went on recording far later than he should have, and if you want to hear him to advantage in Mozart cti., seek out the earlier mono ones on Columbia.

Dan C, J.A.W., George P and 1 other person like this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

Well I’m not found of the DG sound TBW and not a fan of mastering style of Esoteric either.. :) which, I feel, is a bit ostentatious.
    So, I am satisfied with my WG CD of this great performance.

bruce2 and hvbias like this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

I’m not found of the sound of many SHM-SACD classical title either, off DG or Decca master tapes. I feel something wrong with the sound of them in most cases.
    I think the best CDs made from Decca tapes are the ones made by King Records in the 1980s with prefix K35y, K30Y or 223E. They sound very analog and beautiful. I would say that many of them surpass the WG CD equivalents.

crispi, hvbias and kevinsinnott like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree. Perhaps he should have stopped when his Columbia contract expired. His Deutsche Grammophon recordings are disappointing, to put it euphemistically.

crispi likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

...and I'd extend that to his Telarc recordings with Ozawa as well.

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Happy Mozart's birthday, everybody! In honor of the occasion, on headphones, drowning out the Starbucks musical "entertainment" while I wait for an oil change in my car: Richard Strauss leading the indefatigable Berlin State Opera Or. in a bracing performance of the overture to Die Zauberflote, recorded in 1928.

fitzrik, RiRiIII and George P like this.
  11. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I recently picked this up from the cheapie bins on a lark:

[​IMG]

Boy am I glad I did! A great recital, and Horszowski has the most beautiful tone. Every voice sings, and his style is very gentle but absorbing. The more I listen to it the more I love it.

This was recorded in 1990, but Horszowski was born in 1892. By 1901 he was playing Beethoven's piano concerto in C publicly. So his playing has that 'old world' sound to it. He breaks his hands in the nocturne op. 9, no. 2, for example :love:. The booklet also mentions his teacher, Leschetizky, was a pupil of Czerny, making Horszowski only three 'generations' removed from LvB himself.

Wes H and Bubbamike like this.
  12. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Now playing:

[​IMG]

Piano sonatas by Copland, Ives, Carter, and Barber. Played by Peter Lawson. I am not familiar with any of these works but I'm enjoying them a lot. Another find from the other day along with these:

[​IMG]

Messiaen Piano Music. Vol. 3: Preludes, Etudes, Canteyodjaya. Hakon Austbo. Naxos.

[​IMG]

Schoenberg, Berg, Webern Piano Music. Peter Hill, Naxos.

royzak2000 likes this.
  13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Krystian Zimerman
    Schubert: Sonatas, D 959 & D 960
    DG, 2017
    [​IMG]
    I enjoyed this disc.
    Zimerman uses a keyboard he designed himself. "It is designed to create qualities Schubert would have known in his instruments. Compared to a modern grand piano, the hammer strikes a different point of the string, enhancing its ability to sustain a singing sound -- though it does also set up different overtones and the piano might sound strangely tuned. Also, the action is lighter. On a modern grand the many repeated notes in Schubert could turn into Prokofiev."

This was recorded in the Kashiwazaki City Performing Arts Centre, Japan. Zimerman praises the acoustics of the Yasuhisa Toyota designed spaces. " In Toyota's halls, every note is clear, yet each is in a cushion of warm surroundings."

Rick Robson, Wes H and J.A.W. like this.
  14. George P

George P Love Will Lead Us Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying my second listen to this CD. The first was a few years ago.

J.A.W. likes this.
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

16. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Thanks. Really enjoying this. Great read! :)

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

:tiphat:

18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma Forum Resident

[​IMG] great sound, performance; love it

Bubbamike and bruce2 like this.
  19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

20. royzak2000

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In the 1980s I attended a concert by the European Youth Orchestra led by Claudio Abbado at the Concertgebouw Amsterdam. One of the extras was Ligeti's Ramifications. It made a deep impression on me, wonderful.

royzak2000 likes this.
  22. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

Stereo?

23. royzak2000

24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

This is one of my very favorite recordings of the Beethoven Piano Concerto No.3. Richter and the Vienna SO led by Kurt Sanderling. DG 1966.
    The outer movements are very energetic; I only wish the tempo of the second movement wasn't quite so lethargic. The finale, however, is full of fire and spontaneity. Just brilliant. The Rondo for Piano and Orchestra filler is equally exciting.
    DG's sonics are a bit dated and thin, but I quickly adjust to it and just enjoy the performance. Richter's piano is well recorded and really punches through.

[​IMG]

bruce2, crispi, Rick Robson and 3 others like this.
  25. royzak2000