Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My understanding is early in Gavrilov's career, he was considered by some to be a successor to Richter. Then his career fell off a cliff ...

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I recall that Richter said that when listening to the aforementioned Handel recordings, he could not tell which one were played by himself and which were played by Gavrilov. High praise.

This is my favorite recording of his:

[​IMG]

Used copies start out at 38 cents: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: 4 Preludes / Etudes Tableaux / Gaspard De La Nuit

crispi likes this.
  3. coopmv

He made two excellent Bach Piano Concertos with Neville Marriner on EMI and I have those CD's ...

I will look into his Rachmaninov's recording you suggested.

George P likes this.
  4. George P

[​IMG]

Now listening to CD 01 from the above set. My second time through this set, my first time was when I had my old Polk Audio Monitor speakers. Back then I heard a click/pop noise throughout the set, but those speakers were more open on top than my current ones, so I am was hoping my new B&W 704 S2s are less revealing of this noise. Fortunately, they are, but unfortunately, I can still hear each and every click/pop. A shame, for the performances are superb!

5. coopmv

Is she an excellent and new pianist that few people know about? I have seen her recordings around but know nothing about her ...

6. George P

I have only heard her Haydn. I am impressed by her playing. It possesses great beauty, grace and playfulness.

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Seeing that reminds me of this LP that I bought in the late '70s, mainly for the Ravel Gaspard De La Nuit (which I love):

[​IMG]

Perhaps that is the same recording of the Ravel piece? (Under the "Odeon" sticker, it's really EMI.)

Another excellent Gavrilov LP that I bought around the same time... again for the Ravel work:

[​IMG]

crispi and George P like this.
  8. George P

[​IMG]

NEW RELEASE!

I was surprised and exited to see that Supraphon has added a new CD release to Moravec's far too small discography. It's not out in the USA, but can be bought from overseas sellers. I ordered mine for only $15.57 shipped from MDT.

crispi and Wes H like this.
  9. coopmv

I have a few LP's with that Odeon sticker but can never figure out how Odeon was related to EMI. Then I also have a few Dacapo LP's where the record labels themselves say EMI. EMI also had Electrola as a German division and I have a few Furtwangler's Wagner recordings from that label. EMI really had some very byzantine marketing arrangements back in the day ...

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hi, George--just a thought: have you tried ripping one of the affected tracks to a .wav file and then running Click Repair on it? Not an audiophile's ideal, to be sure, but it might just get rid of the obtrusive pops, and I've found that when adjusted to a low setting the software has little perceptible effect on the sound of 78s and LPs, at least. Never tried it on a file derived from a CD, but I can't see why it wouldn't work--a pop is a pop, after all.

11. George P

Thanks, David. No, I haven't tried. Thing is, the noise is within the volume of the music and isn't any louder than the music, so it doesn't even show up on a waveform.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

She is Russian, born in 1967, and has been active since the 1980s, so she's been around for a while.

13. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I was able to get this (on CD) for cheap -- loving it. Especially the Faure. Start to finish this is an excellent disc. Thanks for the recommendation.

crispi likes this.
  14. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Shosty and Chopin collection ...

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  15. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Just ordered it myself. I recently got the Florestan set of Brahms trios and really enjoy it. Thanks for seconding the recommendation!

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Everybody probably knows already, and the price may not be great anyhow, but just in case: one of Arkivmusic.com's weekend specials is a set of Sviatoslav Richter's Eurodisc recordings.

JuniorMaineGuide and George P like this.
  17. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Schubert collection ...

[​IMG]

crispi and George P like this.
  18. coopmv

Just wonder if Sony has fixed the disc errors reported by a few folks on Amazon late last year ...

ImportCD's may actually have better price. I last bought from Arkivmusic well over a decade ago - that 155-CD Bach box on BC.

19. George P

A lovely disc!

20. coopmv

Hmm. I have noticed the Florestan Trio being mentioned on this thread but do not own any recordings by the group ...

21. coopmv

And a very young Hagen Quartet when the recording was made!

22. George P

I have their Beethoven set.

23. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

The Shostakovich looked interesting so I picked that up as well.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and crispi like this.
  24. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Yes they have been fixed, and the older, unfixed sets should have been sold by now (I have one of those myself but since I got a full refund I am making do).

25. coopmv

Thanks for the info. I have been putting off my order since I don't want to have to deal with returning the defective disc(s) ...