Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

For once we agree :)

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I can't believe I missed listing that too. It definitely applies unless there's a counter tenor solo.

In the same vein, I'd include Bortnyansky's Sacred Concertos from the late Classical period. The Russian church forbid instruments in sacred music at that time and these sound heavily influenced by Renaissance Polyphony.

3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'd also add that I find a lot of contemporary Baltic choral music relaxing.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Not sure if there are any diehard Van Cliburn fans here. I have never cared for him ...

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

In response to George's question, I usually look to classical music more for "stimulating" than "soothing," but by way of negative advice I can offer the flip side: when I'm under stress or on edge, I find virtuoso high-wire-act show-off violin music, like Paganini caprices, intensely irritating.

Eigenvector and J.A.W. like this.
  6. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I didn't know about this and I am definitely going to check it out.
    It's always a great day when you learn something new, especially about music.
    Thank you! :tiphat:

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Good question, George.
    A few that I have found emotionally soothing over the years...

Piano music of Erik Satie, played by Pascal Rogé. Very calming.
    [​IMG]

Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis," and "The Lark Ascending." Soul-stirring every time.
    [​IMG]

Holst -- "The Planets" -- especially "Venus" and "Neptune." Never tire of hearing these and still get goosebumps when the wordless chorus enters.
    [​IMG]

One rainy morning, I heard this recording of Brahms "Serenade No.1" and found it lovely and very moving. I immediately bought the CD.
    [​IMG]

There are also many individual movements from symphonies and concertos that are sublime, beautiful, and very soothing... too many to list.
    And I heartily agree with @6138 that there are many, many choral works that will transport me emotionally to a reflective, calm place.

I can't imagine life without such music.

George P likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

@Wes H - thanks so much for all those suggestions!

Wes H likes this.
  9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I bought a CD of Paganini caprices and also don't care for it. I could only get through about half of it before shutting it off, even though the sound quality and performance is good. For solo violin music I much prefer Bach sonatas and partitas.

10. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I second George. Wes, those suggestions look very enticing. I will definitely look into those.

Not strictly classical, but ambient music is very soothing. Brian Eno, Harold Budd, Alio Die, etc. They are all great for relax and even to catch a nap.
    The web page www.ambientsleepingpill.com is also great for that.

George P likes this.
  11. coopmv

I actually think Van Cliburn as a pianist is overrated ...

12. George P

I agree.

13. coopmv

Two American pianists, Byron Janis and Stephen Kovacevich are better pianists IMHO ...

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Born American, but the Brits more or less see Kovacevich as one of their own :)

15. coopmv

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Since Van Cliburn passed away some years ago I assume we aren't just talking about living pianists? I will throw in Vladimir Horowitz though I will not be surprised if that is not a popular opinion ;)

Speaking of, I finished listened to this entire box recently: Horowitz - The Unreleased Live Recordings 1966-1983

It was a box I got in one of those Amazon 3 for 2 sales while it was only 55 Euro and I enjoyed it a great deal (still going back to the 60s recordings). Hank Drake has a superbly detailed review up on Amazon. The most recent Horowitz disc I listened was his first recording of the Barber Piano Sonata from the big Original Jacket box.

fluffskul and RiRiIII like this.
  17. coopmv

But Horowitz was not American-born ...

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Ah very true, didn't realize we meant birth place. I've always considered him an American as he settled here early on and his entire career was founded and built upon in America.

19. coopmv

So is the free version of Spotify any good other than all the ads one has to put up with?

20. coopmv

Horowitz was as American as Rubinstein ... :agree:

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think "Russo-American" is used often.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's been a while since I last listened to Hotowitz, he's not one of my favourites. Of that generation Rubinstein is more to my taste.

23. coopmv

When I first got into classical music back in the mid 70's, the following LP was the first piano LP I bought and still have it ...

[​IMG]

Needless to say, Horowitz is no longer my favorite pianist since I have discovered so many other pianists I like a bit more.

Uncle Meat and vanhooserd like this.
  24. George P

When Horowitz was on, he was untouchable. Even Rachmaninoff said that Horowitz played the Rach PC3 better than he did. Trouble is, Horowitz was often not on, and he recorded far past his peak. To enjoy his artistry, one really needs to pick and choose. Scarlatti, Clementi, Schumann and Rachmaninoff are composers he played incredibly well. Others, like Chopin, he was very mixed.

I have said this before, but Rubinstein's stereo recordings do little for me. I enjoy his earlier recordings, especially his earliest mono recordings. Back then he was still spontaneous, interesting. The numbered Rubinstein Collection CDs are chronological, so if one wants to hear the early mono recordings, one could sample volumes 1-21 or so.

Greg Arkadin and Eigenvector like this.
  25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just received this SACD and am listening to the Faure trio now. Absolutely sublime playing and sound quality!

Wes H and JuniorMaineGuide like this.