Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

My favorites:

Mahler Symphonies
    1 - Kubelik
    2 - Rattle, Klemperer
    4 - Szell
    5, 6 - Barbirolli
    9 - Barbirolli, Karayan

crispi and bruce2 like this.
  2. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

That's definitely Jim Flora cover art (c.1953-56) :thumbsup:

Jim Flora
    Vintage album covers | Jim Flora

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    ToddBD, Thomas R and crispi like this.
  3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I was doubtful about the Mahler 1 by Nezet-Seguin when I saw it recommended on this thread, but when I read the positive reviews and gave it a chance I was pleasantly surprised. I like it better than my other three recordings of this symphony. I like the performance and it is an excellent sounding disc, probably one of my best newer orchestral Redbook CD recordings. As for the Karajan 9th, do you mean the live one from 1982 and not 92? That is the one I have and like.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, of course, 1982. Typo. Karajan died in 1989, so it would have taken a lot of effort to have him conduct and record in 1992 ;) Seriously, pity he didn't record more Mahler Symphonies; for some reason he never did 1-3 and 7-8.

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Great choice.
    Mine would be 1-Walter, 2&3-Mehta (LAPO), 4-Reiner, 5-Karajan , 6-Barbirolli, 7-Klemperer, 8-Solti, 9-Walter (stereo).

bruce2 likes this.
  6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Wow I was just asking your opinion since he was in the original list and you didn't mention him his one you liked or didn't like...

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Bruno Walter’s reading of Mahler 9th is too underrated. It is not a over statement that he began his stereo recording after the hiatus only to record the 9th.
    It is rumored that Columbia Records was reluctant to make the recording and Walter said it would be alright without the recording fee. His obsession resulted in the soulful performance.

ToddBD, bruce2, hvbias and 1 other person like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have really grown to love Walter's work. I'm so glad I picked up the Edition box when it was available.

9. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Mine is similar, somewhat:
    1) Kubelík 2) Klemperer 3) Abbado 1980 4) Abbado 1977 5) Barbirolli or Karajan 6) Barbirolli 7) Abbado 1984 8) Abbado 1994 9) Karajan 1982 10) Kubelík 1968

J.A.W. and George P like this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Does the sensibility for Ländler still survive in Germany today?

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I definitely need to give it another listen :) I briefly listened to Rubinstein with Krips and Giulini last night, the former didn't hold up as well as I thought and I had never found the latter that interesting a performance.

12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I just picked up an original 1s 1a Indiana (I) pressing of this release. NM vinyl. Great sound. No ticks and pops on this original. Paid $20

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So Rattle is not even on your list ...

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Fortuitous timing: I had the afternoon off and a newly arrived package of dirt cheap CDs off eBay in the mailbox.

The real stunner is the Vanguard CD of Schubert's Trout Quintet from their "Alexander Schneider Series." This was recommended to me some years ago and it's already one of my best-sounding discs. I'll definitely look to add the other titles. Recorded in 1964/65? Wow.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Nice list. Abbado has made quite a few recordings of various Mahler Symphonies; the ones you mentioned are his earlier recordings, 3 with Jessye Norman, 4 with Frederica von Stade, both with the Vienna Philharmonic, and 7 with the Chicago SO. In 5 I prefer Karajan to Barbirolli, who is way too emotional for my taste. 10 with Kubelík has only the Andante-Adagio.

crispi likes this.
  16. coopmv

I have 4 Complete Mahler cycles and another cycle equivalent with different conductors. Perhaps it is the craziness of wanting to be a completist in classical music since I generally do not even like Mahler ...

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The only Rattle in my collection is his Mahler 10, the full Symphony as reconstructed by Deryck Cooke in his third version, with the Berlin PO. Rattle recorded Cooke's second version earlier with the City of Birmingham SO.

18. coopmv

Right! You are no big fan of Simon Rattle ... :righton:

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Absolutely not :)

20. coopmv

Rattle, Barenboim, Mehta are all unwelcome in my collection ...

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Same here.

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I had a closer listen to the final movement, I think her playing can be slightly mechanical in some places and lacks the fluidity of some of the better performances.

George P likes this.
  23. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Both Barenboim and Mehta have made some terrific recordings. If you don't own Mehta's Turandot you are missing something extraordinary. The early one of course.

crispi and vanhooserd like this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Lunch time listening: Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, fabulous performance.

[​IMG]

25. jicerswine

jicerswine Forum Resident

Love the Mendelssohn concerto. The "Great Performances" disc with Francescatti playing the Mendelssohn & Tchaikovsky concertos is one of my favorite performances.

George P likes this.