Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

No recitatives is a plus for me. I won’t listen to an opera with a lot of them.

2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to Bach Partitas on the turntable now, performed by Glenn Gould.
    Columbia Masterworks LP set issued in 1963.

[​IMG]

3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Pierre Fournier is my favorite for the Bach Cello Suites. I have the original Made In West Germany DG double CD and it sounds great. Have never heard the remaster pictured.

crispi and Kundera the joke. like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Do you know how many times Glenn Gould recorded these works?

Obviously, I have these works in that 80-CD Glenn Gould Original Jacket box. I also have them on a 2-LP CBS set pressed in the Netherlands. Then I bought a CD twofer.

5. coopmv

I have Starker's Bach Cello Suites on both Mercury and RCA. I have heard from a number of folks who claim the RCA version has better sound ...

6. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Not a whole lot of time for music listening today. Only heard the Linz from this fine set.

[​IMG]photo upload

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

He recorded the six Bach Partitas only once (officially) for Columbia/CBS in several studio sessions:
    Partitas 5 & 6 in 1957 (in mono only).
    Partitas 1 & 2 in 1959.
    Partita 3 in 1962.
    Partita 4 in 1962-63.

These were originally released on 3 separate albums, but the set I was playing today was a 1963 compilation gatefold where all six works were squeezed onto 2 LPs. (Less side changes. ;))

8. coopmv

This recording is probably included in the following CD box in my collection ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

So his LP twofer I bought in the 80's was probably repackaged recordings and his 2-CD was remastered from the same recordings ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Even on my Quads which don't have the greatest bass the Mercury recording sounds pretty much like live cello (bit too many irregularities in the Harbeth's response to get that feeling).

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It is, Krips recorded Mozart Symphonies 21-41 only once with the Concertgebouw Orchestra.

12. coopmv

Who is Steven Isserlis? I don't need more Bach Cello Suites since I have about a dozen versions already ...

13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I wouldn't say that. I've read a few reviews of The Well Tempered Klavier (which I have) not on SHF, but elsewhere, I recall one review that was kind of negative but most seemed to praise it highly.

14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Yes, those are late-'80s repackaged editions of his late-'50s/early-'60s recordings, primarily intended for the European market. There should be some proviso on them stating "previously released" and identifying Partitas 5 & 6 as mono recordings. Gould rarely re-recorded anything.

15. coopmv

The LP twofer has press quality rivaling that of Philips LP's cuz they were pressed in the Netherlands ...

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

No doubt!

17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now playing Robert Schumann's "Impromptus on a Theme of Clara Wieck," Op.5 and "Davidsbündertänze," Op.6, performed by Charles Rosen.
    [​IMG]

This is a 3-LP box set from Nonesuch Records titled "The Revolutionary Masterpieces," issued in 1984.
    Recorded for Nonesuch in 1983 by Klaas Posthuma Productions, Castricum, The Netherlands.
    Includes a 4-page insert with extensive notes by Charles Rosen.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Steven Isserlis is a fairly well-known (at least in classical circles in Europe) British cellist.

Steven Isserlis - Wikipedia

crispi likes this.
  19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have his disc of Mendelssohn and Grieg cello sonatas and his playing sounds quite good to me.

20. coopmv

He must not have been widely recorded since he is unknown to me ...

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

crispi likes this.
  22. coopmv

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's weird, no problem here with AllMusic. It lists a lot of Isserlis releases since 1985, so he was (and is) widely recorded.

crispi likes this.
  24. coopmv

Is AllMusic a European website?

25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

47 albums on discogs and it's incomplete Steven Isserlis

I have a handful of them an like what I have. I great release from last year is The Cello in Wartime

[​IMG]

Matt Richardson and crispi like this.