Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Rosen is one of those rare classical artists who can also write with authority; he's the author of a number of well-respected books on classical music and its interpretation. They are said to be full of valuable insights but not to be easy going for the layman. He's also, I think, primarily known for his Beethoven, so I'm not surprised if his Chopin isn't a strong suit. Indeed, if you believe Wikipedia (Charles Rosen - Wikipedia ), he himself wasn't necessarily happy with his Chopin:

[begin quotation]

Nicholas Wroe narrates how he started writing: Rosen released his first Chopin recording in 1960. It included one of the late nocturnes, opus 62 no 1 ... Rosen says he wasn't entirely happy with the recording, but he was even more disappointed with the sleeve note, which described the nocturne as "staggering drunken with the odour of flowers". "I had many thoughts about the piece," he says. "That was not one of them. So I started writing the sleeve notes myself. People liked them and after a while a publisher took me to lunch. Before he even offered me a drink he said he would publish whatever I'd like to write. Eventually it led to many books and articles. But to begin with I wrote just to keep nonsense off my record sleeves."

[end quotation]

Rosen's Beethoven has been on my "must listen to" list for a long time. As have been all too many other recordings by all too many other celebrated artists. So much music, so little time.... :sigh:

Your loss...

2. 6138

6138 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the Concerto! series was with Moore and Solti. It is the same one?

3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I've been impressed with Rosen's Beethoven since buying this 3-LP box set of the "late sonatas" in 1972:

[​IMG]

Good sound, too. Recorded in Abbey Road studios, 1969.

I'm not a fan of his Chopin. That said, I don't think Richter has the right touch for Chopin, either... so what do I know? ;)

4. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

His book The Classical Style was a huge awakening for me. I had never thought of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven’s music in that way before and I have not looked back since :) Brilliant analysis, highly opinionated, and a cutting wit make his writing very interesting and engaging to read.

Wes H, drh and crispi like this.
  5. drh

drh Talking Machine

It's been a very long time, and I saw it only once, but that sounds right. I'm sure Moore was in it, and I'm almost sure it was his idea to begin with. Thanks!

6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wonderful playing and sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 6138

6138 Well-Known Member

It is rare to get dissapointed with Harmonia Mundi...

sherrill50 and crispi like this.
  8. JuniorMaineGuide

Cool, I have been waiting for this to be released. I will check it out today!

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD5 - 6 Beethoven Variations from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Matt Richardson and J.A.W. like this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing CD6 - Schumann Symphonic Etudes and Beethoven Sonata Op. 90 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt Richardson likes this.
  11. George P

George P Forum Pianophile Thread Starter

[​IMG]

A huge fan of quartets in general, I have accumulated a lot of recordings of these great works. This one is my favorite. Now enjoying Op. 7.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  12. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - Live from the Concertgebouw 1978 & 1992 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fezco and Matt Richardson like this.
  13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Looks great! I have a couple of Kholodenko discs and they are good, so I will definitely be getting this. Amazon has it being released next week.

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I downloaded a studio master quality FLAC from e-classical--they tend to get releases ahead of many other sources. I do think that "Vers la flamme" could use a bit more intensity (perhaps unfairly, Horowitz is my gold standard there--no one has come close!), but overall if you like his playing there is much to enjoy.

bruce2 likes this.
  15. coopmv

Now playing CD9 - Piano Concertos Nos. 21 - 22 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. George P

[​IMG]

Just had a listen to the third quartet from the above 2CD set. Now enjoying the 5th quartet from the same set.

JMR, crispi and Matt Richardson like this.
  17. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this lovely CD, a 1995 recording.

18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

My favourite of the Bártoks as well.

JMR and George P like this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this CD. Love this pianist!

Matt Richardson and crispi like this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

Me to--uh, maybe I'd better rephrase that. His original cadenzas are wonderful, and the one here in the first mvt. of cto. 21 is a real hoot.

George P likes this.
  21. George P

Have you heard his Beethoven sonatas? I swear, no one has more fun playing them.

22. JuniorMaineGuide

Apparently I really need to check these out!

crispi and George P like this.
  23. coopmv

Hope you enjoy this twofer. I don't do Bartok ...

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  24. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I love these Pentatone SACD remasters of Philips analogue recordings from the 70s. Sounds as good or better than most recent recordings.

[​IMG]

layman and Matt Richardson like this.