Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have only one disc by the Beaux Arts Trio. Mendelssohn Trio No. 2 and Smetana Trio. I enjoy it.

2. George P

George P Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Listened to symphonies 39 and the opening of symphony 40 today from the above set. The sound and interpretation is not to my taste. The 40th in particular, I imprinted on Szell's SONY recording and since then, no one else's 40th sounds "right" to me.

Eigenvector likes this.
  3. George P

I don't have that one, but I have many of their recordings. They are all superb!

bruce2 likes this.
  4. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying CD 01 from this set. Absolutely gorgeous sound quality and performance!

crispi, royzak2000, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I had a little less than half of the box which stopped me from buying it. I should buy some of the 20th century discs. I only have the Shostakovitch and I'd like the others.

6. George P

I am very impressed with their Shostakovitch. I have one of the trios in this wonderful Original Masters set:

[​IMG]

Marzz, royzak2000 and Wes H like this.
  7. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

If it helps, I stumbled upon some info. about the pianist Sigrid (Sundgren-)Schneevoigt, when I was looking for information on Finnish conductor Georg Schneevoigt. She was a talented pianist (studied under William Days and later, F.Busoni) and later married Georg Schneevoigt. They even toured Australia together, before my time but I found a pile of interesting (to me at least) articles/interviews from that period.
    More relevant perhaps, I did find this 1931 recording - the Waltz in D-flat,

File:Chopin Minute Waltz.ogg - Wikimedia Commons

I think you're right, that the Royale 78 is simply a misprint. The online 78 discography also lists a Sigfrid but the compilers no doubt simply copied the record labels? Scroll down to #1762,

Royale 1700 series 78rpm numerical listing discography

And just for the heck of it, one of the articles from her visit to Australia in 1940...

"Madam Sundgren likes the moderns, but whether their works will survive along with the old masters she says it is difficult to predict. In pianoforte music she considers there has been no advance on Chopin's. "His is so perfect
    that it is difficult to achieve anything better".

Now, there's a topic to argue :p

PIANIST FROM FINLAND - Madam Sundgren - The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954) - 1 Aug 1940
    (other articles/interviews are searchable on this site)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    crispi likes this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Wow--a real wealth of information, indeed! I'll look forward to going through it all when it's not nearly 1:00 AM on a work night....

Royale 1762 is exactly the record I have, although for some reason the listing omits the Waltz. It's quite possible "Sigfrid" was a misprint--but you never quite know with Royale. In those days, the label not infrequently dubbed records from other labels, usually Central European ones like Ultraphon/Supraphon, and those issues can sound pretty bad. The Marian Anderson records shown in the list as "Europe" (presumably meaning issued only in Europe) would almost certainly fall in that category, with the source material probably being on US Victor. Other Royale 78s were original, at least as far as I know, and can sound somewhat better. I haven't tried the Schneevoigt yet, as just before it turned up I had switched my system over to the preamp for acoustic records, so I don't know yet if it's a dub.

Anyhow, with the advent of LP, Royale began issuing lots of classical performances snared from European radio b'casts and then labeled with pseudonyms, like conductors "Kurt List" and "Joseph Balzer." Some of these fictions have been identified--for example, no. 1376, Beethoven's 1st Pno. Cto. performed by "Elliott Everet" with the "Berlin Sym. Or." under "Joseph Balzer," is actually a performance by Wilhelm Kempff, not otherwise commercially issued as far as I know, and the Grieg pno. cto. on no. 1264, issued as by "Gerhard Stein" with "Berlin SO" under "Karl List" is actually none other than Friedrich Wuhrer with the VPO under Karl Bohm, issued under true name on US Urania. (Don't quote me on this, but I vaguely remember something about *that* issue being unauthorized and eventually withdrawn after a lawsuit.) Others remain unidentified. One thing you can be sure of with Royale LPs, by the by: in contrast to the brittle but low-end passable surfaces of the Royale 78s, the LPs' surfaces make sandpaper seem like plush velvet. Worst, grittiest, noisiest LP surfaces ever offered to the American record buying public, terrible even when new. Far worse than Remington's, and to say those were below average for their day is to shower them with shameless flattery.

Marzz likes this.
  9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

Do like the Janacek operas.
    [​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

A great work!

royzak2000 likes this.
  11. royzak2000

More Janacek his Diary of One Who Vanished.
    [​IMG]

12. royzak2000

13. sberger

sberger Grumpy geezer who likes dirty records

Gidon Kremer-Edition Lockenhaus Vol 1/2. Wonderful collection.

[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  14. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I watched the Boulez DVD of FROM THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD just recently. Love that opera as I do most all Janacek, though I haven't yet acquired the taste for opera in performance on video, no idea why not. It's unexplored country for me.

My recent interest in Schulhoff brought me to a reissue I'd not noticed at the time: a 2011 ECM box set of this series, or rather five discs' worth of it. A blurb I saw said that this set was distilled from "hundreds" of recordings. If ever the existence of a megabox was warranted!

Listening now:

[​IMG]
    Schulhoff: FLAMMEN (John Mauceri et al, Decca Entartete Musik Series, 1995)

So far, kind of menacing, dreamlike, ceremonial.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    royzak2000 likes this.
  15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Well, most certainly Sigrid. Don’t think the chances are that high that both Sigrid and Sigfrid existed as pianists. The labels surely was thinking of Wagner when he typed those letters. Sigrid is a woman, btw.

16. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

George- just wondering if you have any thoughts on Beethoven's Op 31/2 on the Marston Bolet Vol 2? For me this is one of the stand out works on that box.

Any favorites from the Ernst Levy volumes?

17. George P

All of the Levy volumes impressed me. He is a special, unique pianist. Sorry, I can't single one out. I'd say pick the one with the repertoire that most interests you.

I'll revisit that Marston performance and report back. By the way, his live performance of the Chopin preludes from this set is superb:

[​IMG]

Dan C and hvbias like this.
  18. sberger

sberger Grumpy geezer who likes dirty records

I agree! That ECM box is quite difficult to find and I wouldn't mind a reissue.

19. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Thanks very much, I am always up for more excellent performances of the Chopin Preludes

George P likes this.
  20. George P

I checked it out again today. I find it incredible how well his gorgeous tone comes across, even in a poor recording like that. Overall, his playing has nice grace and beauty. Annie Fischer remains my favorite for this work, with Richter close behind. (I also enjoy Gilels, Gulda and Schnabel's Tempests)

crispi likes this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

It's no surprise that Annie Fischer and Richter are my two favorites for Tempest as well. Grace and beauty is how I would describe it as well, his pianissimo was particularly striking to me... when I played it a couple of days ago I was leaning closer and closer towards the end of the first movement. If by poor recording you mean it is mic'd toward the right side (noticed that is common on several of the live recordings from this set), I agree that is a shame though it doesn't bother me on speakers.

22. George P

By poor recording I meant very distantly miked.

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

If I, although not George, may break in, the recording that "hooked" me on Levy was his account of the Hammerklavier, which I picked up as a curiosity on an old Kapp LP at a benefit sale. I agree with George that he's a special pianist indeed.

If I may offer a couple of other recommendations for op. 31 no. 2, I particularly love Walter Gieseking's recording from the '30s and Cor de Groot's from the '50s.

Marzz, hvbias and George P like this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Ah I see. Compared to live Richter, Gilels and other Russian recordings I considered it genuine high fidelity ;) The right sided off mic'ing it what stood out to me.

25. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Is it the performance on this Naxos disc? I'm normally not looking to add more Beethoven piano music, but IMO Ward Marston (along with Richard Caniell) transfers sound so good that I might be tempted to try. If it is that March 1931 recording would you mind saying what it is you like about it, as I'm unable to find a place to sample/stream it. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018