Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango Thread Starter

I've been singing the praises of that performance for years. Of the few dozen recordings of the work that I have heard, it is the best. Curiously, this recording is one that Serkin did not want released. :eek: I always think of this recording when people go on and on about the exalted importance of artists choice, and how they know best. This is one clear example of where this is simply not true.

hvbias likes this.
  2. George P

Yes, I bookmarked that blog long ago. I am grateful to Drake for helping me to understand the differences in Rubinstein's recordings and for leading me to the earliest ones, which I absolutely treasure. Early on, I was exposed to the stereo ones only and was puzzled what people saw in his playing, for it had almost no effect on me. Then I heard the much more exciting, expressive, interesting recordings from his early days and I became a fan.

hvbias and crispi like this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Schulhoff: THE COMMUNIST MANIFESTO
    (Supraphon, 1977)
    Marcela Machotková (Soprano), Blanka Vítková (Contralto), Jiří Zahradníček (Tenor), Antonín Švorc (Bass)
    Prague Radio Chorus, Kühn Children's Chorus
    Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra
    Conducted by František Vajnar

Also Schulhoff's HMS ROYAL OAK ("jazz oratorio"), from a much more recent Ebony Band Amsterdam album with some Weill and Toch.

I wasn't crazy about either of these pieces, but I think they reflect so much of the tumult of the time, and sadly seem to have dated gracefully because of this....their "relevance" ("timelessness"?) probably reflects badly on us. I do find the chaotic "kitchen sink" approach in Schulhoff---across his works or even within some single works---to be invigorating.

Also a fine disc of Schulhoff chamber pieces by the great Kocian and Prazak Quartets and others, featuring two pieces I liked very much, his Duo for Violin & Cello, and his Sextet. These pieces are also featured in identical programs from Spectrum Concerts Berlin (Naxos) and Gidon Kremer, David Geringas et al (from that ECM 5cd Lockenhaus box from 2011), neither of which I've heard; and other recordings besides these.

[​IMG]

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

5. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Indeed I can't remember where I read about it first, someone called Josquin(numbers), another piano lover on Talk Classical also mentioned it and I had it on my wish list for a while but never bought it because my wish list is too long. It turned out to be in the big Sony box, one of those rare times procrastination pays off!

George P likes this.
  6. George P

Was billed for this a few days ago (common for subscribers), which means it has shipped. I expect to have it early next week at the latest! :goodie:

7. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Spurred by this topic, I reviewed a bunch of my Tempests yesterday. Perhaps surprising, Brendel’s old Vox recording was one of the liveliest (I think I reviewed close to 15 -first movement only).

Marzz and George P like this.
  8. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this wonderful CD by one of my favorite pianists.

Wes H, Marzz and Matt Richardson like this.
  9. George P

Just discovered this video.

Eigenvector and Marzz like this.
  10. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

The Marian Anderson records come from the 7 sides she recorded in 1930 for Artiphon in Berlin. They show up on several US labels, usually dubbed but apparently in some cases master pressings!

11. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

I thought (assumed) that it is not a transcription, though perhaps not everything works as well for organ as it does for (forte)piano, etc?
    I have and recommend the hanssler set by Robert Levin. He recorded both Books. Unfortunately it is not all Organ, he also uses Harpsichord, Clavichord and Fortepiano, depending on what he deems "appropriate" for that particular piece. I actually like the variety this adds overall to the WTC - the thought of 4 plus hours of Bach organ in one sitting scares me :laugh:

This is Book 1, (Book 2 also reasonably priced) ...
    https://www.amazon.com/Well-Tempered-Clavier-Book-1/dp/B00004WJNI

Here is Book 1 on youtube - someone called thomas brunner has provided the start times for the organ versions (thanks thomas!) (10.17, 12.52, 23.37, 27.43, 45.00, 46.57).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting--thanks!

13. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Thanks for the info and links! Appreciated.

I like Robert Levin’s Beethoven piano concertos with John Eliot Gardiner so I am keen to listen to his WTC.

Marzz likes this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

What I like about these BBC Legends discs is the liner notes are usually very well written. Except with one of their box sets where they omitted all the notes entirely! I listened to a damn fine performance of a BBC recording of Gaspard de la Nuit this morning, will write more about it when I return this evening.

15. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Received, listened (and watched) this today. I have both these fine, very literal performances on VHS. The sound on the 5th is usual good mono, but the remastered sound on the stereo 9th is a revelation. Very Full, immediate and well-balanced. I've often heard that Karajan' recordings, especially those done in the Philharmonie in the 1970s, don't reflect the true BPO sound under HvK's tutelage. After hearing this Blu-ray of a live New Years Eve 1977 concert, I believe it. Most of those DG symphony recordings that HvK did in the 1970s (LvB, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Bruckner, etc.) are marred by over-miking the strings and brass while the woodwinds are virtually inaudible. But this 9th recording is fine, with all sections clear and present. The video in the 1960s 5th (film) is good, if not as sharp as I was hoping for. Don't know if this came from the original negative or not. The 9th looks like it was recorded on video, so not the resolution of film, but cleaned-up and mastered very well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    bruce2 and George P like this.
  16. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Stravinsky: FIREBIRD 1910 & SONG OF THE NIGHTINGALE (Flemish RO, Yoel Levi; Glossa, 2006)

Lovely disc and strong performances, though I am not sure they will displace a couple others I have heard as favorites. I listened to it in SACD stereo, and the sound is sumptuous. On weird feature of this disc is how low the levels are, if this is word for it. I have to turn the volume up to scary levels---my AVR says 'Ref.'---almost 20 points higher than my usual habit, for opening murk to be comfortably audible. Making me fear for the present and future of my hearing!
    My friend contacted the label about this and was told that they intended for the disc to be like this to preserve a wide dynamic range and avoid compression; but it's a first for me.

George P likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Here is the performance of Gaspard de la nuit that I really liked:

[​IMG]

I think this is just as good as Ivo Pogolerich's excellent performance (I also have a soft spot for Martha Argerich's very different interpretation (studio) since it was the first I heard) on DGG and I possibly like Le giblet even more with Michelangeli. The booklet says this is a studio recording but it is a live performance. The booklet also goes into great detail about how Michelangeli worked with his piano tech to get the exact tone he wanted (traveled with two large Steinways!), that part was a very interesting read.

Jazzicalit, Octave and George P like this.
  18. George P

A quirky guy, to say the least. That BBC looks to be quite good, as it covers repertoire that I feel he handles well.

I'm now enjoying some Mendelssohn String Symphonies on Naxos, conducted by Ward.

hvbias likes this.
  19. George P

I really love his recordings from the 1960s. He was on such a great run, churning out great recording after great recording.

crispi and hvbias like this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Definitely :agree: Was hoping some of the 1960s boxes would come up for sale used at a good deal after the huge box set came out but I haven't really seen any :/

I just checked Amazon and it looks like they have it in stock new, I thought this went out of print?

21. George P

[​IMG]

This arrived yesterday and I just got time to sit down and listen to some of CD 01. I regret to report that the surface noise is consistently loud during the featured recording, the 1940 solo Rachmaninoff piano recording of passages from his Symphonic Dances. It's not just that the noise is loud, but the noise seems to occur at different frequencies, many of which are shared by the piano. So it is very hard to hear what it going on, except when the playing gets loud and even then, the sound distorts.

The good news is that there is a lot of other cool stuff in this set. The item I am most eager to hear is Moiseiwitsch playing Rachmaninoff's Paganini Variations in a 1946 broadcast performance, with the BBC SO conducted by Boult.

hvbias likes this.
  22. George P

I don't know, but I just read that the whole set has been remastered using the same processing as the Originals series, so I am not interested in it. As with Arrau and Szell, I have so much of what is in the Karajan box already anyway.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  23. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some live Debussy and Chopin from the above 2CD set.

hvbias likes this.
  24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

One thing about Arturo, he could play three notes and I think I could know it is him. His tone and technique was all his own.

George P likes this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Pollini still had a LOT to learn from him...