Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I love it!

Although Gould would have probably eaten his slice wearing gloves... :D

Marzz likes this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Better be careful what you offer--I might just take you up on it! ;) Kidding aside, many thanks, and that goes the other way, too: if you're ever in the DC area....

In fact, having determined that's a "gap" in my collection, just bought a recording this evening. :whistle: I misspoke on Saturday, by the by; the works aren't humoresques, they're bagatelles. A distinction without much of a difference, I suppose, but might as well put the, uh, record straight. For those going like this: :confused:, Wes has a lovely harmonium (popularly called a "pump organ"), an instrument once very much a fixture of the musical home but not one that drew much attention from the "great" composers. Dvorak is an exception, as he wrote a set of trios for harmonium and strings, and, spurred by my having seen it Saturday, that's what we were/are discussing.

ubertrout and Bubbamike like this.
  3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Whatever they're called, I'll look forward to hearing the recording next time you're down this way. Maybe I can manage to patch up the bellows on that harmonium by then and you can hear it better.

By the way, my invitation goes for anyone else on the CMC. If you're passing through central Virginia, send me a PM and let's see if we can meet.

ubertrout, 6138 and George P like this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

We go to Richmond 2 or 3 times a year for long weekends but my wife would not like me sitting around talking about music.

ubertrout likes this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

One last Glenn Gould album this evening: Brahms 10 Intermezzi for Piano. The master Bach interpreter plays some highly romantic Brahms here.
    Recorded September/November 1960 at the Columbia 30th Street Studio, NYC. Originally released April 17, 1961.
    Tonight I'm playing this 1980 German-made LP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Krenek: JONNY SPIELT AUF (Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Lothar Zagrosek, et al - Decca, 1993)

A fun night at the opera, on the surface very different sounding music from the seemingly stern/forlorn instrumental music I've heard from Krenek thus far. I liked it!

More Stravinsky from the Sony/Columbia big box, including Symphony in Three Movements, or, "I Can't Get Started". For the life of me seems to anticipate a sensibility that I associate with a certain ~1980s-90s hip-hop/dj-culture, "cut-up" style of centripetal interruptions. I can listen to Bernhard Lang's "contemporary" neuemusik appropriation of this kind of music (cutting/sampling)---a direct response---and it still somehow doesn't sound as close as the Stravinsky (1945). Wild!

Marzz likes this.
  7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

One of Gould’s best albums.

hvbias, Wes H and George P like this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

And Gould, if he were alive, would agree with you.

hvbias likes this.
  9. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Superb!
    Couldn't wait for the CD of this so I opted for the download simply because it was available a few weeks earlier! I wasn't let down. So glad to see the Wolf/Goethe - Mignon get an airing and I think it's especially good. :thumbsup:

HenryFly likes this.
  10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I usually approach music for the first time hilariously ignorant of its context, to whatever extent this can be managed; and this is especially true with opera, where I almost never follow the libretto the first time I hear it. I'm not sure how productive this is, but it's not entirely borne of laziness.
    So it's only just now that I am finding out about the whole blackface thing: oof. Even that weren't the leasebreaker---and even if the lead were performed by a black man, per James Weldon Johnson's complaint at the time, and one could imagine Robeson doing something with this not unlike EMPEROR JONES---it would still seem like an irresponsible "provocation", stoking mobs for box-office returns. Of course there are a number of layers that I need to work through before drawing conclusions or stoking a bonfire.
    I still like a lot of the music, but "fun" isn't quite the word I'd use anymore. I'm more curious than ever why the Nazis hated it.

Anyway, onwards:

[​IMG]
    Copland: EARLY ORCHESTRAL WORKS 1922-1935 (Leonard Bernstein et al - Sony, 1991)

also this:

[​IMG]

Krenek: LIEDER (Christine Schafer - Orfeo)

Really liked this disc. I've enjoyed Schafer in a number of recordings of modern music. I will listening to her ~2001 Berg LULU with Levine/Met soon....supposedly a keeper.

Marzz likes this.
  11. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

He is indeed really good with the Brahms Intermezzi, I never would have thought to check him out for Brahms until someone in this thread or the other classical thread recommended it.

It looks like Royal Mail lost my Maryla Jonas box set and this was showing at a fairly high price from several of the Amazon US sellers (they now have them again) I decided to quickly buy one again as many of these smaller Sony boxes do not stay in print that often. I've listened to all of a web FLAC a few times and really liked these performances.

[​IMG]

I am also looking forward to hearing this CD on the way (has some duplication with Marston's volume)

[​IMG]

Marzz and Bubbamike like this.
  12. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

I was listening to the interviews in the last volume of the Josef Hofmann Marston disc. The one I found most interesting was the one with Jorge Bolet, he so succinctly and accurately conveyed the playing of some of the great pianists of his time. For instance saying that Horowitz captured the tension of the music. Or telling the interviewer that he didn't think Hofmann was properly captured on recordings which IMO might be why I am not a huge Hofmann fan.

He also spoke very highly of Rachmaninoff as a pianist which I agree with. I have all of the Naxos volumes where he plays piano, are there others in good mastering worth seeking out?

13. George P

George P Forum Pianophile Thread Starter

This one is great! It was mastered by Ward Marston and the sound on the concertos is a bit more natural than Mark Obert-Thorn's work on those works for Naxos.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Octave and hvbias like this.
  14. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I am really pleased to hear this. I'd actually dragged feet buying this set because of the negative "P. Bryce" Amazon review of the newest (but identical contents/mastering?) iteration in the cheapo Sony 'Masters' series. One commenter to this review (Stephen Fleschler, about halfway down the comments stream) even conjectured that the remastering wasn't Marston's. (Because it "couldn't be"?) I've appended the review below and the comment below that, for no especial reason. I'm inclined to believe you, George; it's not like you don't know Marston's work.

Masterful musician, mortifying mastering

15. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Krenek: VIOLIN CONCERTOS & DOUBLE CONCERTO (Peter & Gabriel Rosenberg, Bamberger, Merz - Koch)

and

[​IMG]

Copland: ORCHESTRAL WORKS 1948-1971
    (Copland & Bernstein - Sony, 2cd, 1991)

Also some more of the Stravinsky/Columbia box. A disc with The Flood (maybe the only Stravinsky work that I actively dislike?) and Mass (which is lovely and suitably otherworldly...another one to track down more performances).

Marzz, Eramire156 and scompton like this.
  16. George P

I am not sure if the newer version is identical, but I recall that the second issue of the box:

[​IMG]

was not the same mastering as the one that I have, and recommend (pictured earlier.)

So, maybe the new one is a reissue of this one, maybe that is why people are not keen on the sound?

17. George P

[​IMG]

More info on this set can be found here: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-12361/

While the review confirms this box is the same as the one I posted earlier in the week (and still recommend), it remains to be seen if the latest reissue uses the same transfers/mastering. I would guess it does.

18. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. I could see why Marston would want to go indie:
    Slipping CEDAR in post? These Rach masters are Marston's AMBERSONS! I will probably take a chance on the cheapo new edition. I am not aware of Sony ever spending more time and money sprucing up the sound just for the cheap 'Masters' boxes.

Tonight's listening was more Stravinsky/Columbia, this time Les Noces and Ragtime. Both interesting.

Also, something I'd ordered right about the time you guys were talking Dvorak. Pure joy:

[​IMG]

Dvorak: SLAVONIC DANCES (Czech PO, Karel Sejna - Supraphon, recorded 1959)

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

As for me, Rachmaninoff (through no fault of his own) is a major source of frustration right now. For several months, I've been wanting to play a set of miscellaneous "his own pieces" recordings that Victor issued in a set of 10" 78s, and the thing has gone missing. I know I have it, but it's nowhere to be seen in any of the places where it should be stored or even in places where it shouldn't. :realmad:

20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

A nice autumn-like cover on this album of Chopin 17 Waltzes, performed by Tamàs Vàsàry.
    Fine piano sound on this somewhat early DGG album. Copyright 1965, German press June 1966.

[​IMG]

lwh1, crispi, Marzz and 1 other person like this.
  21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That happens to me way too often. I usually find it later, filed in some odd place when my brain was not fully engaged -- such as a Rachmaninoff in with the Prokofiev section and I must have been thinking "Russian" at the time and, well, there it goes. :help:
    Hope yours turns up soon.

22. George P

Marzz and Åke Bergvall like this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Always fascinating to hear how Arrau changed his Chopin playing from his early recordings to the Philips recordings. This time new to me was a 30s recording of Ballade in G minor also the IMHO underrated (ahh I now feel like my Steve Hoffman forum membership is complete with the use of that word :winkgrin: ) Beethoven piano sonata 7.

24. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Finzi: ORCHESTRAL WORKS
    (Rodney Friend, Peter Katin, Adrian Boult, Vernon Handley - Lyrita)

and more Stravinsky/Columbia, this time his 1964 recording of Rake's Progress.

Also started the Joaquin Rodrigo orchestral music series on Naxos, and I might listen to all ten volumes. Also the two Naxos discs of Artur Pizarro's Rodrigo solo piano music.

25. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Joaquin Rodrigo: COMPLETE ORCHESTRAL WORKS VOLUME 3 (Polo/Ovrutsky, Leon/Castille, Bragado-Darman - Naxos)

A terrific disc. Superb light music...is it okay to call it this? Not meant as condescension, just pure dancing uplift and spirited gritty playing throughout. A standout in recent listening.

More Stravinsky/Columbia, this time his ~mid-60s Fairy's Kiss, and a great disc with four conductors (Stravinsky, Copland, Bernstein, Morton Gould) leading their own frequently jazz-derived pieces with Benny Goodman as soloist. I don't know why I thought I'd not be into this disc...it's very-good-to-great. Bernstein's Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs is great stuff and has dated pretty well; in 1949 I think this would have beat 1989 John Zorn at his own game.