Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Schiff's lectures are very good, I can't remember where but I was able to download them as MP3s from some site. Will look up Charles Rosen's book, thank you.

2. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

My favorite is Evgeni Koroliov, I seem to recall you value good recording/mastering quality. These are on Tacet and their recording quality is top notch.

He does not add any ornamentation to them (cough Richter ;) ), which is pretty important to me.

bruce2 likes this.
  3. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Well-Known Member

Never heard of Maria Tipo. Fortunately, Spotify has 8 (or so) titles by her (5 of which are Muzio Clementi) . I listened to each one. To my very amateur ears, her recordings are very musical sounding in spite of a "ringing" background noise for several tracks. Good to learn about this artist, thanks.

vanhooserd and George P like this.
  4. George P

George P Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango Thread Starter

You're welcome!

cdgenarian likes this.
  5. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks, I think I will give this a shot. As someone new to these works, do you recommend I start with the Koroliov Vol. 1 or Vol. 2? I only want to purchase one set to start with.

6. George P

Volume 1.

bruce2 likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Volume 1 is a fine start. He is maybe a bit too precious in the slow C Major (just lacking a bit of momentum) which might be why I'd suggest Vol 2, but that's up to you.

Have you heard the WTC before? People interpret them in different ways, Koroliov leans more towards the non-virtuoso style, but the tempi still sound authentic and these are not romanticized, his counterpoints aren't perhaps quite as obvious as say Schiff (ECM) or Gould.

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'd say Prescia leans more toward the virtuosic style in the fast movements, but he also clearly brings out the counterpoint.

9. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Do you post as Kontrapunctus on TC?

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yes, or I did. Some of the posts and threads are just too stupid for words, so I'm pretty much finished with that site!

11. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Ok was just checking, I share many of your views on baroque performances.

Sounds good, he has the "upward drive" of the music. I think the amount of counterpoint he brings out is fairly similar to Koroliov. He uses the pedals more as well. Good enough for me to check out the rest of his Youtube channel this evening.

I hear you on TC, I haven't checked there in a while; moderation is too lax, members make personal attacks, and the ignore system is just not properly done on that software, ie the highly functional system here. Many of the regulars moved to /r/classicalmusic, though I can't get behind Reddit's system that discourages in depth discussion since you can't bump threads and what shows up on the front pages is by their upvote algorithm. A system that works for current topics, but not for something as far spanning as classical.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This forum and GMG (Good Music Group) are enough for me.

13. George P

My favorite for the bach WTC is Samuel Fienberg. Incredibly poetic playing.

I also like Tureck's mono set on DG and Richter's RCA set.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  14. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

I lost my account at GMG due to inactivity :( They told me re-register but it's hard to participate knowing you're starting over. That might not make sense, but that's why I don't participate much there.

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Been living with a good bit of Beethoven today--the Goodyear set arrived in the mail while I was away for the weekend (ain't Amazon Prime Amazong?). Too early to make more than the most general of comments, but, to make the most general of comments, on the basis of first impressions--with one conspicuous exception, on which I'll elaborate when I have more of the set under my belt--of what I've played so far: wow. :love:

16. George P

Glad to hear it David! Sounds like you'll get a lot of wear out of your Goodyear set. ;)

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

:agree: :laugh:

18. cdgenarian

Beethoven - Piano Cto. No. 5 - "Emperor" - Movement 3 - the beginning

[​IMG]

Just to say, I think it is interesting the way the intro to Movement 3 is played. Some pianists choose almost a "glissando" approach over these notes, while others play much more articulated versions. I prefer a little bit slower tempo so that these notes can be strongly punctuated individually. (Note: I'm not a musician and have never studied music.)

Do you have a particular favorite version of this concerto, particularly the 3rd movement? I would like to listen to it if I can find it online (e.g., Spotify Premium, Youtube, etc.). I have the Perahia/Haitink on CD which I like.

19. George P

My favorite is Pollini/Boehm on DG.

Although Serkin/Bernstein are lovely too, especially in the second movement.

For a set of the 5 concertos, I like Serkin/Kubelik, Sherman/Neumann, and Backhaus/Schmidt-Isserstedt.

cdgenarian likes this.
  20. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Speaking of Beethoven, look what I just discovered! Anyone heard any of Andrew Hallifax's work? Looks like he did the transfers.

This set will be released in the USA on Friday.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Jed Distler told me a few months ago he would be doing the notes for this set. Looks tempting.

22. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Interesting, never heard of him before.

Here is the other one coming out the same day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  23. George P

[​IMG]
    Yeah, I was going to post about that one but forgot. It has of the very first recording of the complete Chopin etudes. Also Mastered by Mark Obert thorn.

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

File this under "Difficult Listening"! He is Poland's first 12 tone composer, according to the notes. He doesn't seem to follow 12 tone structure rigorously, though: much of it sounds simply atonal. Picture a mix of Schoenberg/Berg/Boulez.

[​IMG]

25. cdgenarian

Well, of course, I started playing Pollini's 3rd Mvmt. (from the Beethoven Cto. 5) on Spotify Prem., and he sounds great. SP does have many of his recording, including the Bohm (Boehm) collaboration. I have been listening to "The Art of Maurizio Pollini" album and my initial thought was that he sounds very strong in a physical sense -- lots of forceful dynamics -- as well as quite clean and precise. I looked up his bio, and, lo and behold, he is still living (born 1942), even touring. The author of the short bio described his playing as "immaculate."