Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango Thread Starter

Immaculate and strong are two words I would definitely use to describe him. I think when he is suited for a particular work (like Beethoven's 5th PC or the Hammerklavier sonata) he is something to behold. However, he plays a lot of music that to me doesn't suit him, like most Chopin, for example. I wish he'd play more modern stuff. This disc shows how good he can be, given the right repertoire:

[​IMG]

cdgenarian and Eigenvector like this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Friedrich Wuhrer in the first two mvts.--but then, apropos your request, he takes the 3d mvt. too slowly and spoils what would have been my ideal performance. For the entire piece, my favorite is Cor de Groot with Willem van Otterloo and the Hague PO, originally (in the US) on Epic and reissued on CD by Doremi.

cdgenarian likes this.
  3. George P

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Fully agree about his Chopin--I've always found it brilliant but cold. And Chopin generally should not be cold!

Shifting gears, found out something (that I at least find) interesting today: Stewart Goodyear studied with Leon Fleisher at Curtis and was a participant in a big gala performance to celebrate Fleisher's return to two-handed playing. He also has a master's from Juilliard, and he composes as well as plays. Anybody here ever hear any of his compositions?

cdgenarian and George P like this.
  5. drh

drh Talking Machine

:tiphat:

cdgenarian and George P like this.
  6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Kabalevsky/Khachaturian: VIOLIN CONCERTOS (David Oistrakh, conducted by the composers - Melodiya/Chant du Monde)

Contra the Raymond Chandler crack, I actually liked the Khachaturian somewhat, more than most of his other music I've heard; the Kabalevsky---supposedly Oistrakh's only recording of it, in very dry and boxy sound---much less so. Oistrakh is a lion, anyway.

Also finally finished the big Stravinsky/Columbia box. A real adventure and I was happy not to become weary of the repetitions.

hvbias and George P like this.
  7. George P

Sadly, that set has vanished from amazon.com. Hopefully it returns.

8. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Is this the disc you suggest?

[​IMG]

I see Wikipedia says he was the first Russian to record the WTC.

9. George P

Yes, that's the one, in the best mastering I have heard.

hvbias likes this.
  10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Very good. It may not displace HvK's, but I enjoy it. Excellent sound, if mastered at a lower than normal level.

[​IMG]

bruce2 likes this.
  11. George P

I recently was made aware of these superb Chopin recordings, unfortunately not available on CD.

12. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Nice, found a way to hear that disc in flac, will post what I think when I have fully digested it, I have just listened to around 5 preludes/fugues from Book 1. In between going through the Szell box (Beethoven, Mahler, Brahms, will listen to less favorite composers soon) I have played The Art of Fugue and Partita 2 from this Sokolov CD:

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  13. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Rachmaninov: LITURGY OF SAINT JOHN CHRYSOSTOM
    (Kansas City Chorale, cond. Charles Bruffy - Nimbus, 2cd, 1996)

Prompted by a friend, I got this down from the bookcase. It's crazy how long this was languishing on my shelf, never opened....years. It is amazing. Not the first time I have heard this piece, but the performance and recording are incredible. You will not be in Kansas anymore. It does make me want to seek out a Russian ensemble for this music, just in case.

Oddly enough, I have seen the cover art in apparently two different versions, with different spellings of Rachmaninov's name, neither of them the (Anglicized?) spelling I've become accustomed to.

[​IMG]

14. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Michael Tippett: ORCHESTRAL & CHAMBER WORKS + VOCAL MUSIC BOXES (Decca)

Ongoing this week. Also supplementing the one disc of string quartets (#1-3) in the box above with the second disc of the Lindsays' quartets cycle on ASV (whose disc 1 is the same as the disc in the Decca box). My first time to listen to many of these pieces.

15. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I need to listen to this symphony soon. My go to copy is Solti and the Chicago Symphony recorded live from 1991 on Decca. Powerful performance and good sound. I also have a copy of Levine and the Philadelphia Orchestra on RCA from the 70s but I prefer the Solti.

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Partitas today. Great playing and sound.

[​IMG]

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No.32. Excellent playing and good sound. (It varies from decent to excellent since all are live performances in different venues.)

[​IMG]

Bubbamike and Eigenvector like this.
  18. George P

I found this set and the Beethoven one on Spotify. After some sampling, I think I will probably pass on the Beethoven but may get the Chopin and other composers solo 2 Disc set.

19. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

The Beethoven seems like an easier pass to me as well. I don't need yet another set of concertos, particularly in poor sound quality. As much as I adore Moonlight and Pathetique (lesser extent Op. 111) they would have to be pretty different from the mono box to be of interest to me.

I was on the fence about the other one since Backhaus didn't strike me as a Chopin-ista and the only other pieces I really like from it were Schumann Fantasie and Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody 2. I will sample them as well, if the Chopin is good then that will push me over.

George P likes this.
  20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No.2 today. Well played and recorded, but the slow tempos rob it of any forward momentum.

[​IMG]

21. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Completely agree on Wasowski's Mazurkas. Listened to it once through with some more plays for my favorites and I think it's truly superb. I've been looking to upgrade many of my favorite piano pieces to modern sound with exceptional performance and this fits the bill.

Do you mind posting the cover art for the Luisada you have and recordings dates in case DGG reissued it on another CD?

Besides continuing to make my way through the Szell box and continuing my perusal through my favorite JS Bach cantata cycle by Gardiner this is an another CD I have played many times. This is the second version I have of Richter's Preludes and fortunately in much better sound quality but as usual incomplete! I am coming around to really liking these sort of romantic approaches (still not a fan of Gieseking's EMI recording). Same with JS Bach's keyboard works, I may not be such a fuddy duddy after all :laugh:

[​IMG]

The Chopin Ballade No. 3 was interesting, Richter plays them only like he would with some interesting choices in tempi and what sections to highlight. The rest of the Chopin wasn't to my taste. And I haven't made it through to the other parts of the discs.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just listened to audio samples of Wasowski playing Chopin's Mazurkas. I liked what I heard, but unfortunately the recording was way too spatial for my taste. Pity.

23. George P

As long as you get the Luisada on a DG CD set (or a Newton Classics CD set), it will be the one i have. The only other complete set he did is for RCA. I haven't heard it.

hvbias likes this.
  24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

I always thought that Pollini's Stravinsky Petrouchka was one of the greatest solo piano performances on record.

George P likes this.
  25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I thought I should have a HIP recording of these works. so I downloaded a 24/96 FLAC version today. He plays very well and the sound is great, but I prefer the more robust Romantic playing of Szeryng or Milstein.

[​IMG]

crispi and bruce2 like this.