Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

My favourite HIP version by a wide margin is the one by Rachel Podger on Channel Classics: https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Complet...bach&qid=1540707887&s=Music&sr=1-1&ref=sr_1_1. I should hasten to add that I have not heard Carmignola's recording.

Octave and J.A.W. like this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

A nice set and it sounds like they left Ward Marston's transfers alone just like on the superb Fritz Kreisler RCA box he remastered. Finished hearing disc 7 and Rachmaninoff's Preludes from disc 10 as well as Isle of the Dead. Moiseiwitsch's tale of him and Rachmaninoff discussing his Prelude in B Minor on The Art of Piano doc was my favorite segment from it.

[​IMG]

PADYBU and Rick Robson like this.
  3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have Carmignolas recording of the Bach Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord, and feel exactly the same way. Good sound and playing but I wish the violin was a little more robust. For the Bach solo violin works I have on CD the 50s mono Sonatas by Nathan Milstein, and for the Partitas Viktoria Mullova from 1994 . Both of these discs are near perfect for my tastes!

4. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

A user review for that Carmignola album makes it sound very intriguing. Now hearing him along with Amandine Beyer play Vivaldi's Concerti for Two Violins

[​IMG]

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Have you heard Mullova's newer recording of both the Sonatas and Partitias? Apparently she uses a period bow and gut strings, but violin is a modern setup and she plays with her customary muscular style. Might be just the ticket!

[​IMG]

bruce2 likes this.
  6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No I have not heard this recording. Her Partitas disc from 1994 on Philips I am a huge fan of, however.

7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This certainly lives up to the praised heaped upon it. Masterful playing and superb sound (24/192 FLAC).

[​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Now revisiting Yves Nat playing several of the Beethoven sonatas (Op. 90, Op. 101, Op. 2/3 and Op. 31/2). One thing Nat makes it impossible to do is play them without getting your attention to hear what he is doing. Elastic tempos, unusual phrasing, etc. Currently on the last movement of Op. 31/2 highly unusual how he plays this, almost as eccentric as Gieseking. All these factors probably kept me from liking it in the past but these last few days I've been enjoying it!

[​IMG]

I also listening to Schnabel play Op. 101, quite a beautiful performance. I was a bit harder on MOT than I should have been a few pages ago, these transfers do sound really good. I think it was hearing those raw Youtube clips that made think MOT's remasters were much more "veiled" than they actually were.

9. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

@drh @George P

I asked about Levy a while back, I managed to find downloads to listen to the first two volumes. I was hesitant to talk them up then since I was looking for the CDs :laugh: (finally found all 4 volumes at a package price, factory pressed discs not CD-Rs) I've listened to them quite a bit and will say his unique, deeply intense performances of Op. 106 and Liszt Piano Sonata are simply superb. I've enjoyed his own compositions as well.

[​IMG]

Bubbamike likes this.
  10. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

When I was in New York a number of years ago when the first volume came out, I went to a talk by Garrick Olson on Liszt. He made a point of talking about Levy as a Lisztian, and how much he enjoyed the CD and was impressed by his playing.

hvbias and bruce2 like this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am looking for some opera advice. I am going to purchase my first copy of Verdi La Traviata. I have narrowed down my choices to either the Sutherland from 1962 with Pritchard conducting on Decca, or the Cotrubas with Carlos Kleiber conducting from 1977 on DG. Which would you choose, taking into consideration both performance and sound quality?

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Don't know either in person, but a general comment that may or may not be helpful: Sutherland did spectacular coloratura, but her diction was not good. If that matters to you, the other set may be a better bet. If historically minded (and not too picky about up-to-date sound), you might also want to sample Toscanini, who as a young man actually played in the orchestra under Verdi in--was it the premiere of Otello? In all events, he had a personal connection with the composer that makes his recordings worth knowing.

13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks. I actually know a professional opera singer/teacher, and she told me the same exact thing about Sutherland. She said she is not really a fan, that her coloratura is great but that she is a lousy actress and has poor diction. I would prefer something with decent sound quality. I have a famous live Callas recording from the 50s and I can't get past the crappy sound. On the other hand, today I listened to the La Boheme conducted by Beecham on EMI from 1956. I actually learned about it on this thread. It is in mono sound but sounds pretty decent and is a great performance.

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Another frequent problem with Sutherland, albeit not an issue here: more often than not she came as a package with husband Richard Bonynge on the podium. He was, shall we say, not the most enlivening of conductors.

Do you have Traviata on video? Opera was meant to be seen as well as heard, and these days I'd be inclined to look for a good video if possible.

cdgenarian and bruce2 like this.
  15. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Shostakovich: 24 PRELUDES AND FUGUES, OP. 87 (Tatiana Nikolayeva, rec. 1962 - Doremi, 2010)

Excellent, and the dry, limited sound does not bother me. The piano tuning seems off to me, but I don't pretend to have a good ear for this. It's been too long since I've heard either of her later recordings to compare.

cdgenarian likes this.
  16. jaxpads

jaxpads Forum Resident

Recommendations for Mendelssohn String Quartets?

cdgenarian likes this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Today I ordered my first recording of Furtwangler, his Beethoven 9th from 1954 at Lucerne. I ordered the Audite SACD version as it was fairly cheap and readily available. However after reading these comments I am hoping the mastering does not suck. I hate an overly bright, boosted sound!

Jazzicalit likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This pianist is new to me, but I like his playing very much. Great sound, too.

[​IMG]

19. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit Well-Known Member

Welcome to Furt's world! :)
    Furt's Beethoven 9th Lucerne 1954 was a good quality recording from the beginning, so I think this edition should be very very good. It's a great Ninth, also if I personally prefer the versions recorded in Berlin 1942 (both 2 recordings) and in Bayreuth 1951.
    But in order of sound quality, Lucerne 1954 is considered to be the best.

bruce2 likes this.
  20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

2.5 hours of relentlessly dense and staggeringly difficult piano music--I love it!

[​IMG]

Bubbamike and crispi like this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I have this set and like it:

[​IMG]

jaxpads likes this.
  22. Entershooting

Entershooting New Member

My father passed away at 97, leaving behind over 1500 mint condition vinyl records that I'm not sure what to do with. This 1950 Francis Poulenc LP is among them, in which he plays his own works and those of Satie. It's also the original Columbia Masterworks release, ML 4399. Except for the mention here, however, I can't find it anywhere online...whether for purposes of background or value. Any ideas?

23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

24. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

The place to go is Discogs, which has info on pretty much everything, including its value. The entry for the LP you mention, for example, is Francis Poulenc, Satie* - Poulenc Playing His Own Works: Mouvements Perpetuels ‧ Nocturne In D Major ‧ Suite Francaise ‧ Piano Music Of Satie.

25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have only listened to the first two movements, but so far this Furtwangler Ninth isn't really impressing me. Maybe it will take time to grow on me. From what I've heard so far I prefer the Karajan 63 recording. I find it to be just as intense, and I prefer the quicker tempos. Maybe my opinion will change though.