Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I think that while he's always gotten good reviews, he didn't have the charisma to break into the next tier - a real pity because he's a first-rate violinist. Warner's box set is quite reasonable at $2.25 a disc.
    [​IMG]

dale 88 and bluemooze like this.
  2. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Joaquín Rodrigo – Works for chamber orchestra: 100 years
    — Joaquin Rodrigo Chamber Orchestra – Augustin Léon Ara (EMI Classics—EMI Odeon España)

[​IMG]

– Zarabanda lejana y villancico
    – Cançoneta for Violin and Strings — Agustin Leon Ara (violin)
    – Miniaturas (2) andaluzas
    – Fantasía para un gentilhombre (flute and orchestra version) — Juana Guillem (flute)
    – Aria antigua for Flute and Piano (flute and orchestra version, orch. Bernard Wystraete) — Juana Guillem (flute)
    – Soleriana: No.1 Entrada
    – Soleriana: Pastoral
    – Soleriana: No.5 Passepied
    – Viejos aires de danza (3)

canzld, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I had the same problem but with two CDs bought in the late 80s. In the early 90s the just stopped playing correctly. I've also bought a few new CDs that looked fine but wouldnt play correctly, or at all. Usually the last track in a stuffed disc was the problem. I haven't encountered this for at least 5 years.

TonyACT likes this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

They've changed to Naxos Classical Archive. They're download only with no notes or information.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

The other one from Netania Davrath, her grandmother was from the Auvergne, she spent allot of time there as a child, and sung these in the correct dialect.
    [​IMG]

6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The Concerto for the Butterfly Lovers is a great piece.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

First label 1963.
    [​IMG]

canzld, Mik, Rushton and 3 others like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying CD 49 of 50 from the above set.

Schubert D. 946 (better performance than his only other recording of this work, from the Hungary box)
    Mendelssohn Variations Serieuses
    Brahms Ballade 2, Op. 76/8, Op. 116 Nos 3, 5, 6 and 7

bluemooze likes this.
  9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton:

10. Rushton

Rushton Forum Resident

:righton: Wonderful performance by Davrath.

royzak2000 likes this.
  11. coopmv

It is also available on Naxos in two different recordings by the same violinist but different orchestras, the second one being the orchestra from the home country of
    canzld; IIRC, the violinist was actually married to be founder/owner of Naxos ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Yes indeed - they have one son - and he may have had his start in the industry to support her career.

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Random thought for tonight: As a group, we are far more than average interested in classical music and related topics. How many of us have ever seen Elvira Madigan? How many of us would ever even have heard of Elvira Madigan were it not for its being tagged on multitudes of Mozart concerto record jackets? I never have and probably never would have.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I've seen it, maybe 40 years ago. It was quite popular at the time of its release.

15. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Well, since I'm not into obscure Swedish films - no.

But I have seen and enjoyed Amadeus and Immortal Beloved.

And 2001: A Space Odyssey when the only Strauss I knew was Johann ;)

Wes H and George P like this.
  16. coopmv

I have the VHS tape of the movie, though I did not get the movie until I had owned that Mozart "Elvira Madigan" LP. The movie ended with a gunshot but the movie did not show the main character had killed himself ...

TonyACT likes this.
  17. coopmv

I think it may be a Danish movie. But I have to check. I just saw the VHS tape on my bookshelf a few minutes ago ...

18. coopmv

You were right. Made in Sweden, 1967 ...

TonyACT likes this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Janos Starker & London Symphony - Schumann and Lalo Cello Concertos, Stanislaw Skrowaczewski conducting
    (Living Pressence Stereo 35mm recording, maroon label.

A new discovery for me. at one of my locals today.

canzld, vanhooserd and TonyACT like this.
  20. kuma

kuma Forum Resident

I was too young to watch the film when it was released but it was a smash hit along with Mayering (starring Omar Sharif and Catherine Deneuve and Ava Gardner as Sharif's mother! ) which had a similar love/death plot based on a real incident as Elvira Madigan.
    Both soundtrack had a pretty good radio play as I remember hearing them over the FM radio.
    Some years later I got to see the film on a late night TV and there it is! the familiar Andante. A few years ago, I picked up this vinyl to see how the music stands up without *visuals*. Anda isn't my favourite piano player but here the Andante is indeed quite nice.
    [​IMG]
    As far as the use of Mozart's slow-ish tune goes, the Romanze ( Piano Concerto No. 20 ) used in Amadeus had a greater impact on me as mad Salierri declaring 'I absolve you'. The camera follow through the horrific condition of insane asylum juxtaposed with this beautiful music under. Then Mozart's manic laughs and fade to black. One of the most memorable ending for sure. Imogen Cooper and Marriner offer lucid and transparent performance but competition is tough on this program as I still prefer Annie Fisher/Lukas or Clara Haskil/Markevitch sets for this concerto.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Saw Elvira Madigan, knew of it when DGG was pushing Mozart's 21st Piano Concerto, have played the Geza Anda performance many times. Elvira Madigan is a so-so movie. The great Mozart movie from Sweden is the version of Die Zauberflote directed by Ingmar Bergman.

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Respighi - Pines of Rome & Fountains of Rome/Debussy - La Mer" performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra led by Fritz Reiner on RCA.

[​IMG]

canzld, vanhooserd, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Mozart - The Violin Sonatas" performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter accompanied by Lambert Orkis on DG.

Listening to the audio portion of the DVD set, which I bought because it was so less expensive than the CD set.

[​IMG]

Nice to see Anne-Sophie from the orchestra's point of view. ;)

canzld, ToddBD, jukes and 1 other person like this.
  24. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Had the same thought :cool:

25. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I managed to go back Academy Records and get what I left behind...thank goodness they will still there..:love: They all sound very good....The Lute ensemble is phenomenal as well as the SQ from Alpha CDs/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

canzld, bluemooze, Mik and 1 other person like this.