Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Thanks, that should help me sleep easier ;)

Sounded like a very interesting DVD.

2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Ha! The DVD is very good. I am a fan of Rozhdestvensky and find his views about the Soviet times very interesting. Also his take on conducting. I had the pleasure to see him twice in Boston with BSO. I will never forget the stunning version of Persephone. Unfortunately When I went to see him on the 3rd occasion -he had refused to conduct as the BSO had really buried his name and identity in its publications about the concert -very curious-and he felt insulted. He called it " a moral insult". I agreed with him when I saw the concert publications and wrote to BSO but never got a reply. He is presently at CSO filling in for Muti. He is aged 84. One of the last ( if not the last) of the Soviet era greats!

RiRiIII, TonyACT and Byrdsmaniac like this.
  3. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Not sure about one that "sounds like a sitar" but it must be a steel stringed instrument and the only two that come to mind now are the cittern and the english guitar, but I think the latter came later and I don't know how popular could they have been in Italy back then.

TonyACT likes this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Thanks for the suggestions. The variety of instruments on the CD was a revelation - but the sound of that one - whatever it was - completely threw me. I'll see if I can find something on the web about what the group generally plays in that music.

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Enjoying more from this set this morning. This is my first time through and I am finding it best to listen to a disc at a time. (The harpsichord is still not one of my favorite instruments.)

canzld, ToddBD, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I like him: that should be good enough for anyone. :D

dale 88 and George P like this.
  7. George P

I haven't heard enough to say, sorry.

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No. 3/Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 1" performed by Byron Janis with the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra led by Kyril Kondrashin on Mercury.

Also contains:
    Prokofiev - Toccata
    Schumann - Variations on a Theme by Clara Wieck
    Mendelssohn - Songs Without Words No. 1
    Pinto - Three Scenes From Childhood

[​IMG]

RiRiIII, Daedalus, canzld and 6 others like this.
  9. George P

I love this and his Rach 2 and 3 with Dorati on the same label. I also have an EMI DVD with his Paganini Rhapsody, but haven't had a chance to hear/see it yet. I wish he had recorded the 4th concerto and released it with his Paganini Rhapsody.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have lost track of how many times these recordings have been recycled ... :agree:

11. coopmv

A former member of this thread, Jay F, was a super big fan of Paul Lewis ...

12. coopmv

IIRC, this recording is also included in the following BC box, which I added to my collection a few years ago ...

[​IMG]

Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

But that's a great set, collecting all of Trevor Pinnock's J.S. Bach recordings for Archiv. Very nice.

Daedalus and ToddBD like this.
  14. coopmv

I have owned most of Trevor Pinnock's recordings for ages since baroque music was my first love when I started my venture into classical music over thirty years ago ...

TonyACT likes this.
  15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

A very well done 5th, worth hearing IMO
    [​IMG]
    Antal Dorati
    London Symphony Orchestra
    Mercury, 1962
    Beethoven: Symphonies 5 & 6; The Creatures of Prometheus Overture.

royzak2000, Wes H, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

If by sounds like a sitar, you mean it has a drone, maybe hurdy gurdy.

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 1" performed by Itzhak Perlman with the Wiener Philharmoniker led by James Levine on DG.

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Toru Takemitsu
    – Asterism for Piano and Orchestra — Yuji Takahashi (piano)
    – Requiem for String Orchestra
    – Green (November Steps II, for Orchestra)
    – The Dorian Horizon for 17 String
    Toronto Symphony – Seiji Ozawa (RCA Red Seal / Sony Classical)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

royzak2000, RiRiIII, Daedalus and 7 others like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 1 from "Canteloube - Songs of the Auvergne" performed by Netania Davrath with 'orchestra conducted by Pierre de la Roche on Vanguard.

Didn't care for the bright sound of HDAD version I recently bought so I found this original CD version. As a bonus, it has about twice as many songs; it contains a second album titled 'New Songs of the Auvergne.' Good for me. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Yes, it had a similar drone - that may well be it, in one incarnation or another. Many thanks.

21. kuma

kuma Forum Resident

Janis/Kondrashin Prok's 3rd is very good ( one of the best 1st movement I have heard but they start losing a plot somewhere around 2nd half) so I place it behind Argerich/Abbado/Berliner & Graffman/Szell/Cleveland.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The newest recording for Prokofiev No.3 I have heard is with Lang/Rattle/Berliner in 2013 Sony vinyl release.
    Good dynamic contrasts. Lang seems to shine in showy program like this than Chopin pieces. Altho, most of dynamic interests seem to be provided by the orchestra as piano comes off rather bland. I think I still prefer the *bad **** Martha* over goody two shoes Lang in overall attitude of the piece.
    [​IMG]
    Soud wise, Sony new vinyl releases have been hit and miss.
    My copy is relatively low noise albeit occasional pops but well balanced digital recording with spacious soundstage and decent dynamics ( for digital ) . An excellent low end weight but massed strings are tad thin. The 3rd movement has a tidal wave like tremendous dynamics and scale which is a hoot in a big system.

Going to hear Daniil Trifonov ( one of my favourite young pianist currently ) plays the 3rd next month. This would be interesting.

Mik, canzld, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  22. kuma

kuma Forum Resident

I prefer Lewis playing Beethoven program than Schubert. His sure footed bold approach seems to be more fitting than carefree happy go lucky more modest Schubert's personality. ( in my mind anyways ) That said, Lewis' Impromptu is enjoyable. I still prefer composer's later darker sonatas played by Richter or Schnabel. look at his face! You get depressed just looking at Slava's mug. :D
    [​IMG]

Mik, canzld, George P and 1 other person like this.
  23. John S

John S Forum Resident

Another great Sony box bargain:

CD1
    Boulez
    Le marteau sans maître
    Yvonne Minton, mezzo-soprano
    Ensemble Musique Vivante
    (London, EMI Studios, 1968)
    Livre pour cordes
    Strings of the New Philharmonia Orchestra
    Pierre Boulez, conductor
    (Paris, Studio Davout, 1972)

[​IMG]

I didn't expect to warm up to my first exposure to Boulez's music, and as it turns out my instincts were correct. This music is not the kind of thing you find yourself humming while driving to work. Still, as the wiki article linked above illustrates, Le marteau sans maître (alternatively translated as "The Hammer Unmastered" in this box, or "The hammer without a master" in wiki, two different ideas) is ultimately an exercise in mathematics. Very cerebral indeed. All I have to say is there needs to be less cowbell in the fourth movement and more of it in the eighth.;) There are many interesting moments such as in the ninth movement the soprano sings a mouth open clinched-teeth humming version of sprechgesang that sounds very much like a theremin.

The second piece is also rich with texture and is worth some undivided attention. See also link above from the Chicago archives.

Will move on to CD2 cited by alankin1 above.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    royzak2000, Mik, canzld and 3 others like this.
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I have the LP, Dynawarp era, off-center to boot. I have little doubt that yours is the richer musical experience. Takemitsu's music has a lot of long held notes and long held silences.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  25. John S

John S Forum Resident

Love the "Dynawarp" moniker. How true it was (is).

alankin1, Robin L and TonyACT like this.