Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The greatest catches of that Vivarte box have to be the JS Bach Cello Suites by anner bylsma and a few of his other recordings, which have become prohibitively expensive as CD singles ...

I also do not like many of the MAK recordings.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, Bijlsma is generally excellent. Unfortunately, I don't have many of his recordings, but I do have his 2 Bach cello suites recordings. He seems to be largely forgotten these days.

3. coopmv

How can an outstanding cellist be so easily forgotten?

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No idea. He's 82 and I don't know if he still plays and makes recordings.

5. coopmv

He enjoyed a very close partnership with Leonhardt and Harnoncourt in many baroque recordings ...

But then many people were close to Leonhardt. Hogwood actually was a harpsichord student of the great Leonhardt.

6. coopmv

Anytime. :righton:

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I know, that "HIP scene" was very much alive in the 1960s-1980s, especially in my country.

8. coopmv

HIP tradition is still alive and well with the likes of Ton Koopman and Jos van Veldhoven ...

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, but I was referring to the "first generation" in response to your remark about Leonhardt and Harnoncourt - and there were Brüggen, Bijlsma and his wife Vera Beths and others, of course.

10. coopmv

I have never been too familiar with Brüggen, even though I have a few of his recordings on LP, i.e. have known him as an artist since the mid 70's ...

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

12. coopmv

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

...and Moncayo's "Huapango" is tremendous fun.

One of those "want list" items that has eluded me for years is a two-78 set of Maria Barrientos, among my favorite coloratura sopranos, singing these very Seven Popular Songs with the composer at the piano. (Yeah, I know, it's been reissued, but as the saying goes, owning a copy of somebody else's record is like kissing your sister. ;) )

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    ibanez_ax likes this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

So "Bijlsma" is the Dutch spelling? I've invariably seen "Bylsma" here in the US. Probably sensible; I seriously doubt most English speakers would quite know what to do with the letter combination "ijls." Fabulous player--I'm especially fond of his whirlwind take on Haydn's C Major cello concerto (Jean Lamonde and Tafelmusik doing the orchestral honors). I have a feeling we may have discussed this before, but I have a record of his teacher, Carel van Leeuwen Boomkamp, on the 78 RPM Anthologie Sonore label, playing excerpts from the Bach sixth suite (cello piccolo) and another playing something by Ortiz on gamba. I was astonished to stumble across my very Bach issue on one of those auction results Web sites; it had gone in some sale for several hundred dollars. I got it for a dime or two when I bought a complete run of the first 10 volumes of l'Anthologie Sonore (10 records per volume) at a benefit sale maybe 20 years ago. Don't remember for sure, but I *think* by that point in the sequence the pressings had gone from purely l'A.S. labels to l'A.S. issued under auspices of The Gramophone Shop in New York, which used to issue selected foreign recordings under its own name.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

Truly timeless, endlessly rewarding

[​IMG]

Marzz, Mik, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, Bijlsma is the original Dutch spelling. The "ij" (one letter, not two) is the Dutch equivalent of "y".

Anner Bylsma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

By the way, Jeanne Lamon was musical director of the Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra. She stepped down in 2014. A frequent guest conductor was Bruno Weil.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  17. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Richter, Friedman and Gieseking are not to be missed in these works either.

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeap, nice! I found the LP recently in a thrift store, this is one of the best recorded piano LPs in the DG catalogue.

20. John S

John S Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

22. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now:

Bax
    Symphony No. 3

London Phil
    Bryden Thomson

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, royzak2000 and 1 other person like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Danyel - Lute Songs, 1606" performed by The Consort Of Musicke directed by Anthony Rooley on Decca Eloquence.

Featuring:
    (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby - soprano
    Martyn Hill - tenor
    John York Skinner - countertenor
    David Thomas - bass

[​IMG]

Marzz, John S, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Enesco - Roumanian Rhapsody No. 1/Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsodies Nos. 1-6" performed by the London Symphony Orchestra led by Antal Dorati on Mercury.

(image shows SACD; I have the regular CD)
    [​IMG]

Marzz, Mik, vanhooserd and 1 other person like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Debussy - Orchestral Works Vol. 1" performed by The Philharmonia led by Geoffrey Simon on Cala.

La mer
    Premiere rapsodie
    Clair de lune
    Duex arabesques
    La cathedrale engloutie
    Petite suite
    Pagodes

[​IMG]

Marzz, John S, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.