Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Possibly of interest, all the examples in the "The Great Courses" set on Beethoven's sonatas are drawn from Frank's cycle. I wonder if that's why every time I have a look at it on Amazon it's a bit more expensive than I would have expected?

This afternoon (at work, via headphones) I returned to the Melo Classics disc of Annie Fischer, and once again I was struck by the ferocity of her take on the pieces included. Even the Mozart sonata comes off as uncommonly muscular and powerful--definitely an antidote to the "Dresden china" school of interpretation. I'm sure there will be plenty of Mozart stylists out there tutting away, but I like it, and even more her excitingly "inauthentic," powerful take on Handel. Good stuff.

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It is possible. Try to get this on vinyl, there are plenty of copies out there for cheap. I got mine in a thrift store for 99c a few weeks ago.
    I quite enjoy these digital LPs, especially the ones with piano. I have a very sensitive ear and occasionally the wow and flutter that is inherent in the analogue tape bothers me. Digital has solved this problem permanently.

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Now playing:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Russian Violin Concertos - Khachaturian/Prokofiev/Glazunov" performed by Julia Fischer with the Russian National Orchestra led by Yakov Kreizberg on PentaTone.

[​IMG]

john greenwood and 5-String like this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

6. coopmv

IIRC, this is a nice recording and I have owned this SACD for a number of years ...

bluemooze likes this.
  7. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the disc player…as a big fan of wind band music, I love me some Persichetti :D If you are unfamiliar with his works, his harmonic language is certainly modern but is firmly rooted in tonality along the lines of Hindemith and Bartok. I think he is one of the most under appreciated composers of the 20th century…he has a unique mastery of technique, form, sonorities, and lyrical line.
    [​IMG]

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 3 from the "Edwin Fischer - Piano Playing from the Heart" EMI Icon box set.

Bach - Das Wohltemperierte Clavier Book I

[​IMG]

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Beethoven - Piano Sonatas Nos. 30, 31 & 32" from the Claudio Arrau box on Decca.

[​IMG]

Mik, Bachtoven, Robin L and 2 others like this.
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 7 from "The Art of Alicia De Larrocha" on Decca.
    • Manuel de Falla - Nights in the Gardens of Spain with L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande led by Sergiu Comissiona
    • Aram Il'yich Khachaturian - Piano Concerto in D flat with the London Philharmonic Orchestra led by Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos
    • Maurice Ravel - Piano Concerto For The Left Hand In D with the London Philharmonic Orchestra led by Lawrence Foster
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd and 5-String like this.
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just ordered the Talich Mozart cycle from ImportCDs - it's back-ordered, but I'm in no great rush.

5-String, George P and bluemooze like this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am not familiar with this recording, what's the date? My favorite version is the one with De Burgos. This is an excellent sounding digital LP.

[​IMG]

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

+1 here my friend. Played some Persichetti in my student days. I used to have some vinyl, but nothing now. I'll remedy that soon.

ToddBD likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Listened to more of this today. Though I miss Lucchesini's charm and grace, I like his sense of urgency, and his no-nonsense, solid playing.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. john greenwood

I heard him and his daughter in recital many years ago.

16. coopmv

:edthumbs:

17. coopmv

There are quite a number of Mozart Piano Concertos by her in the following box I bought last year ...

[​IMG]

18. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Really? And you live in CT? It's not perfect by a long shot, but it's the best place for used classical CDs in NYC.

19. coopmv

Academy Records is an occasional Amazon MarketPlace Seller. I know its neck of the woods well since I lived and went to undergrad/grad schools in that neighborhood.

20. coopmv

I have my WTC I & II by Edwin Fischer on Naxos Historical ...

bluemooze likes this.
  21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have only visited Academy Records twice but I wasn't too impressed by what was available there. On the other hand, the stuff was both times extremely friendly and helpful. I would visit again if I ever find myself back in NYC.

22. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I agree, it's very hit or miss. But I enjoy going through the bargain racks and their prices tend to be fair - and in particular often lower than Amazon prices. The dedicated SACD section is also handy. And given the demise of J&R, I don't know where else I'd go without schlepping out to Princeton...I really enjoy B&M shopping for discs.

Robin L and 5-String like this.
  23. john greenwood

What music is that?

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The 6th in honor of Mahler's birthday:

[​IMG]

Mik, John S, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  25. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

I am fond of digital vinyl, but there are bum ones, they get described as a cd on vinyl(no, there is a more denigrating but correct term that escapes me). It is when the lp is cut from the cd master (or more likely the standard retail issue), and it comes out flat and lifeless. I keep a couple of lps of it as a warning to myself to know what to avoid. I often find though that there are many digital Deutsche Grammophon and Philips albums from the 80's and 90's that sound fantastic, have a definite edge and even a better sonic bandwidth than some of the late analogues of the same labels. Some 70's DG's are very good, but a surprisingly large amount are less than stellar. I might also have been fooled by the strange tone Karajan insisted on from the BPO in some instances (!). Piano tone often came out well in that era, I wonder if they had a particular engineer that was well versed with piano tone. Randomly sampling two to hand, I note on some Pollini Chopin I have heard recently that the engineer was Heinz Wildhagen. On the Karajan Pelleas & Melisande, it is Gunter Hermanns. I massively prefer the work of Wildhagen, but you could also say he had the easier job.

geralmar likes this.