Cleaning an amp input selector switch help..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

About to undertake this,as one channel randomly "cuts out": a tweak will restore it,but obviously something is amiss. I am based in the UK, so I don't think the oft recommended De-oxit is available here,but other contact cleaners are.Question is, what is the process? Apply and leave to dry? Apply and brush perhaps whilst application is working? And what with? Should caution,extreme caution or a damn good poke around be employed if the affected switch needs scouring to remove dirt debris? I have never done this before,and have no idea what I will be presented with when I remove the case!

2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

just spray a small amount into the pot through the little straw, and work the switch back and forth a few times. If simple oxidation is the issue, that should fix it.

Manimal and The FRiNgE like this.
  3. frimleygreener

Thanks...I have a straw....hope it does the trick!

4. frimleygreener

Amazing what you find when you put your mind to it....After removing the Arcam case,I found the switch unit virtualy encased, with very little "workings" visible....there are a couple of vents, so I gave the whole shebang a quick squirt or two....turning my attention to the outside of the case,I thought I would give the selector switch a clean....as I gently tried to remove if from the spline,guess what? There is an "outer" sleeve that just has the dot to line up with the selected device..inside this was all manner of gunk....after a thorough clean the "outer" was married to the main barrel again..not only did it feel firmer,there was also no play whatsoever....both channels now restored....job done! Thanks all for the tips!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.