Cleaning LP's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zackwater, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I don't let new or old dictate wet cleaning, but rather dirty or not.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have read comments from other members who have experienced "dirty" new records.

I have never had a dirty new record in my life, so I have not had any reason to clean any of them.

3. deanb64

deanb64 Active Member

Can understand wet cleaning when the records have been got has used, But your own should be in like very good condition even after many years of enjoyment if you appreciate the medium as many say they do.

4. I have followed the Rega philosophy all my 50 yrs of playing records. I have no issues with any of my LPs EXCEPT some second hand ones that have been cleaned using RCMs. Strange but true. I am currently listening my original YES album and it plays like new. Maybe i am just lucky. I know many on this forum love their RCMs, but i prefer to believe the guys at Rega

H8SLKC and Morbius like this.
  5. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I don't understand what REGA is recommending. Do they really say that the stylus will just plow through any dust that accumulated in the grooves?

6. Have a look at Rega's site. I think LINN have the same philosophy. Good enough for me

H8SLKC and Morbius like this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I only clean records if they're dirty.

Lownote30, Dennis0675 and dbsea like this.
  8. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Perhaps when Rega gets into making RCM's they will change their mind? Time will tell

sean

9. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

This is the recommendation from a company that sells expensive gear? :confused:

10. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

That dust accumulating on the LP surface will only serve to add scratches to the record when sleeved and re-sleeved, the only dust that the needle will take out is dust that ends up inside the grooves but at that point it's nothing to do with surface dust and a real vacuum clean will be needed.

11. I kinda accept their point of view. They sell great turntables and surely they want their customers to hear their gear at there best. I do use a Milty gun and a carbon brush from time to time and thats as far as i am willing to go. All my records sound great with little or no clicks and pops

Morbius likes this.
  12. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

When the needle is in good shape there is no need for cleaning. Bad sound almost always caused by a worn needle. A good needle ignores dirt.

13. Andrew Harrod

Andrew Harrod Member

The trouble is, when you identify what dust really is, then you realise why they need cleaning. Skin cells, pollen, clothes fibres and sand are just a few things in dust. Yuk.

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It's funny how common sense can elicit such incredulous responses on this forum.

Assuming we're starting with a fresh new record, there really is no need for washing - assuming, of course, that you handle records properly, use a dust cover while playing, and return the record to its sleeve after use. It's been that way since the beginning.

H8SLKC, Morbius and Juan Matus like this.
  15. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I agree, if a used record looks dirty, I clean it. I try to only buy used records in ex condition or above, so they often look pretty clean. For those I play a side and decide whether it needs a cleaning. I follow a similar process for new records. If I hear ticks and pops, the record gets cleaned. Ive never had a record sound worse after cleaning it. I love my rcm and consider it to be vital to my enjoyment of this hobby.

bru87tr and Hubert jan like this.
  16. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Humm last year I had to return the Beatles in MONO box due to excessive dirt, handprints, scuffs on most of the LPs.

sean

17. Andrew Harrod

Andrew Harrod Member

Some people say that all records should be cleaned from new, to remove the release agent used in the manufacture of new records. It's like a clear waxy lacquer that rubs up when you play for the first time. I could imagine the debris gets lodged in the grooves. Not sure if this is true.

18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

New records definitely benefit from a cleaning. Even if only for static mitigation.

But, my experience has taught me that nothing beats a properly cleaned LP.

19. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Records are made in factories, not clean rooms. Considering this, I'll play a new album once to check for pressing defects. If there were an issue with a new LP, no one can blame any cleaning practices this way. After that, nothing is played until clean.

Daddy Dom likes this.
  20. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I think some people might be wrong about this. Everything I have read (including patents) say that the agent is an additive in the vinyl formation itself so you can't clean it away.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    tin ears and Morbius like this.
  21. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I give up.

22. Andrew Harrod

Andrew Harrod Member

You could be right or wrong, it's hard to know what to believe.

23. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I'd say at least half of the new records I get these days have some amount of dirt on them. paper debris, dust or residue from pressing, even finger prints from time to time

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

WTF? It's obvious that I musta' had crappy needles all the time and now too judging by your nonsensical comment.

Lownote30 likes this.
  25. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Rega still running with that garbage? How embarrassing for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.