Cleaning Records

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Is it OK to use just distilled water with the VPI record cleaning machines?

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Sure, but with only distilled water there won't be enough surface tension to keep the fluid from beading on the LP as opposed to spreading thinly & evenly. Personally, I wouldn't do it..

3. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

I ordered some VPI cleaning fluid. Bit it hasn't come yet. So I tried just the distilled water. There was more static on one of the LP's than I expected. I was wondering if that was part of the purpose of adding rubbing alcohol etc.

4. Mike V

Mike V New Member

That's what I add - 100% pure though, not the pharmacy stuff. 25% isopropyl, 75% distilled water. And I don't store it in the VPI tank (could possibly be flammable - I don't want to find out the hard way).. Some say isopropyl leaches plasticizers from the LP causing brittleness or wear or whatever. Well, all I can say is don't leave your LPs soaking in undiluted isopropyl, and they'll be fine. The vacuum pickup ensures every last drop of fluid gets off the record very quickly.. It is one of the most harmless cleaners I can think of, and is perfectly suited for LP cleaning (except for really grungy specimens requiring heavy-duty chemicals). If you clean frequently though, alcohol may not be the best solvent to use. But there was a time I used to clean quite frequently, and those LPs are perfectly fine. Much ado about nothing...

I have never used photo-flo (no need to) or very small quantities of surfactant (like coconut based dishwashing liquid - some use a couple drops per gallon or so). The reason I don't is it will easily build up on your brushes, and if you aren't vigilant, will end up leaving residue (however little) behind, whereas water & alcohol literally vanish into thin air. Dirty brushes = noisy records no matter what fluid you use, so keep them clean!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.