Cleaning records

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scottr1966, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Descartridge

Descartridge Forum Resident

Use a VPI 16.5 and its solution, follow directions- instant improvement.

2. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Hated my Knosti, It left far too much gunge to be cleaned up by the stlyus and in all the records i tried it didnt make one iota of difference. It was probably the cleaning solution as thats got really bad reviews.

After trying many different ways of cleaning i finally came round to acceptance that vacuum cleaning is the only way. Its made a night and day difference on so many of my records. I use a wet.dry vacuum and a vinyl vac attatchment and couldnt be happier with it.

3. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I have a quick question here...following my cleaning regimen listed above, I use LAST record preservative on my albums. I started using is after reading a forum thread here from 2015-2016. There was some debate as to its efficacy. I use it because Michael Fremer swore by it in an article and he has forgotten more than I know about vinyl and record collecting. I just want to now if anyone still uses it and what they think about its claims of "molecular bonding to vinyl" thus reducing the effects of the stylus wear on the album. I am beginning to collect expensive Japanese pressings so I will protect them as best as I can.
    Thanks,
    Steve

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd personally avoid that stuff like the plague. It can degrade over time and result in a pretty noisy sounding LP. You can't completely clean it off either. When I'm digging and see LPs with "Last" stickers on them applied by the previous owner I immediately pass them over.

As far as Fremer endorsing it, so what? He's endorsed all kinds of crap over the years.

If you want to preserve your records, clean them properly and make sure your turntable is set up right. Don't run your stylus after it has too many hours on it.

Rolltide likes this.
  5. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

Thanks...new to the collecting world...need to see all points of view.

6. Brent Maeder

Brent Maeder Active Member

I do not put any alcohol into my solution.........I use one cap of L'Art Du Son into a squirt bottle filled with distilled (not tap) water..........I use the squeakycleanvinyl record cleaning machine.........after applying it with a painter's edging pad (used only for the wash phase) I let the solution sit on the record for about five minutes and then vacuum it off with one revolution forward and back only..........then I spray distilled water onto the record and apply it on the record with a separate clean painter's edging pad before vacuuming it off.........there is no need to let the record dry since it has all been vacuumed off, so the vinyl goes right into a brand new inner sleeve........

Spsesq likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.