Clearaudio Concept Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Neilson77, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Considering buying one of these. Currently have a Technics SL-1210MK2 with Ortofon Super OM30 cartridge. Would the Clearaudio offer an upgrade in sound quality compared to the Technics.

2. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I'm sure it would unless you choose to upgrade your Technics. I did with mine: new Origin Live arm plate, rewired RB 250, new feet from Origin Live and external Timestep PSU (standard edition) and Origin Live platter placed on top of original Technics platter. Which is better I don't know but I do know that the Technics turned into a class act.

3. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I've been trying to collect data on this table over the internet. It is hard to find a picture of the back of it. When I finally found one, I could not figure out how to connect RCA cables. I would assume that there must be ample room, or depth under the plinth. Or does it come with attached wires? I am starting to wonder.

Could someone please explain this to me?

4. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Attached wires.

Rich C likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The Concept is an outstanding turntable and a major upgrade from the Technics. Don't even think about it.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Here's a picture of the back of the Concept that shows the wires

[​IMG]

Rich C likes this.
  7. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thanks, deadcoldfish and S-String!

I did read that the cables included are excellent, but I must say I am shocked that they are attached. They must be really good if no choice is offered and these tables get such rave reviews.

What are some of the opinions here? Did ClearAudio take the ready to play concept too far by making this choice for the listener, or did they hit this one out of the park?

And what are the opinions among those who own this table concerning the intelligence of getting one with the $800 MC cartridge? I am very tempted to take this ready to play concept to the extreme and go for it. But there is a $600 difference between the MC and the MM.

8. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I have notice that titles on Deutsche Grammophon are labeled Clearaudio/Deustche Grammophon.

Are these two companies united under the umbrella of a German Music conglomerate?

I hope this is so. And if it is I find that as quite the model. Equipment manufacturers associated with record labels and even artists who perform on the recordings.

Can anyone tell me if there is this level of synergy going on within the world of high fidelity in Germany?

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Basically, Clearaudio got the licence from DG to reissue these LPs, like Acoustic Sounds did with the RCA Living Stereo series. But there is no affiliation between Clearaudio and DG.

Rich C likes this.
  10. Guy St.Pierre

Guy St.Pierre Well-Known Member

I'm using a Clearaudio Satisfy arm that uses the "attached" cable, and it is very good. No complaints whatsoever, and I'd highly recommend them.

Rich C likes this.
  11. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

For the choice between MM and MC, do you have a MC capable phono stage, for the output level of the MC cart ? Have you heard the MC cart and like it better than the MM ?

12. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thanks for explaining this to me.

5-String likes this.
  13. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thank you for your input, Guy.

Wow, that looks like quite a sophisticated arm. I am just beginning to explore this brand and all I could afford would be the Concept, and the dust cover. Due to my very limited experience I had never heard of a manufacturer supplying a decent set. And of course, when I asked the question I still hadn't figured out if they even attached them. This is a real plus and I am impressed that the company pays this much attention on a more affordable table.

Did you buy that Satisfy arm to put on the Concept? Or do some of the other Clearaudio tables also come factory fitted with cables?

14. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I think I do. I have a Pro-Ject Tube Box S. The manual says it can handle high and low output MC cartridges. I get the feeling this Concept MC would be low output. I have more research to do, but could you tell me if it is low or high output?
    No not yet. I am just at the beginning stages of looking in to this table. I am going to try and get to the dealer sometime this week. Maybe Thursday evening.

15. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

By the way, mostly due to what I can afford and preliminary research, I have narrowed down my choices between this Clearaudio Concept and a Rega RP6 with an Exact cartridge. I am leaning towards the Concept due to simplicity. No need for a speed box and I like the idea of playing a record with the dustcover over it but not interfering at all due to resonance. Also, from what I have read here, the Exact seems to more punchy and about beats to the exclusion of a huge soundstage. I guess that depends on that person's perception. Based on that I am thinking the cartridges offered on the Concept would better present Classical recordings.

16. I love the look of the Concept and that was one of my choices. I went for the RP 6 in the end. Actually simplicity was one of the factors.

Jivy and Rich C like this.
  17. Guy St.Pierre

Guy St.Pierre Well-Known Member

I'm using the arm on a custom built Garrard 301. I think the Satisfy arm, which I got used for a very good price, is well built and a great performer. I actually prefer it over several other much higher priced arms I've owned, so much so I'm looking at a second one for another table. In my opinion, Clearaudio is building quality pieces for reasonable prices.
    I would personally go for the Concept, because of the quality I've seen in the gear. I also own a Clearaudio "Melody" cartridge, (LOMC) which I purchased used and it sounds incredible on the Satisfy arm.

Rich C likes this.
  18. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thanks for the input, Mazzy and Guy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.