Clearaudio Performer or Artist MM Cartridge Impressions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Zoot45, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot45

Zoot45 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Anyone have feedback on either of these cartridges?

I have been trying to find some reviews but the only things I can find are for the Concept V2 (what I have) and the Maestro V2 (too expensive). I currently have a Clearaudio Concept table with the Concept MM cartridge installed. I like the sound but unfortunately my 3 year old grabbed at the cartridge and bent the stylus. I was considering doing a re-tip but figured the Performer or Artist aren't too expensive when you take the credit for the Concept Cartridge. I don't want to spend a ton of money but would consider up to $500. Any feedback on the performer or Artist cartridges would be great. I am open to other recommendations as well.

Set up: Clearaudio TT - HH Scott 299C integrated Amp (using the Scott phono stage) - JBL LX-55 speakers

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Some people have installed Audio Technica styli in the Concept MM cartridge, with a bit of trimming plastic. Outside of that, you might have a look at the Ortofon 2M series. The 2M Bronze fits your budget.

3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I don't like the 2M Bronze stylus. I couldnt get it to track inner grooves well enough.

For a real bargain in moving magnet, try the Ortofon OM with the STY40 stylus from KAB. It has the FG70 stylus, which is better than the Shibata used on the 2M Black.

4. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

If your Concept is MM, the easiest and most economical route would be to buy an AT95e stylus and replace the stylus yourself. CA MM carts are entirely user serviceable, and for cheap. There are many long threads on the Interwebs about same, with the AT95xvl stylus (LPGear) being a very popular choice among those who service CA carts themselves. I have done it with a Virtuoso and it is dead easy, although it requires a nail clipper to clip the "wings" away from the stylus plug before being inserted into the cart body.

5. Zoot45

Zoot45 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I went to my local hifi shop and listened to a few cartridges and decided on the clearaudio performer. Sounded much better than 2M blue and with my concept mm cartridge trade in it wasn't too expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.