Clearaudio Virtuoso cart vs AT440-MLA or AT-155LC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riverrat, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm getting ready to take the plunge on a Marantz TT15-S1 table, upgrading (I think) from a Technics SL1200 MK I. The Marantz comes with a Clearaudio Virtuoso cart, which I am considering flipping to recover some cost of this purchase.

A lot of my lps are older. I have quite a few that are in nice shape but also some vintage Blue Notes that are VG at best. I love the tracking and lack of IGD with my AT carts- AT440-MLA and AT-155LC. I'm actually running the 155 with the 440 stylus right now.

Would the Virtuoso cart offer as good of tracking performance as the AT carts? Any downside to using the Virtuoso with less than pristine vinyl? I'm guessing it would be a sonic upgrade, but not sure the rest of my system would extract that. Would I even notice the difference with this system?

Sumo Polaris power amp (upgraded)
    Yamaha C4 pre-amp (fully recapped)
    Totem Acoustics Sttaf speakers

Should the Virtuoso stay, or should it go?
    Any advice will be appreciated!

2. contium

contium Forum Resident

Depends on what you could get for the Virtuoso and what the replacing cart will cost. If the net gain isn't that great, stick with the Virtuoso. Something to be said about synergy. That said, I have a TT15S1 and was never really blow away by the Virtuoso. It does track very well and I never heard any IGD with it. I found it a little brittle in my system. Played the the famously difficult to track US pressing of The Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness box perfectly. Others love it. I switched to a Clearaudio Concept MC cart and am very happy. I sure the 1200 clan is going to tell you not to do it but I have owed several versions of 1200's and yes, the TT15S1 is an upgrade IMO.

H8SLKC likes this.
  3. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

Helpful post contium, thanks!

I was considering putting my AT155 on the Marantz..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.