Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood or Ortofon 2M Black Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by shayatin, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shayatin

shayatin Active Member Thread Starter

First post here, but I've been lurking and soaking up the knowledge. Thank you all for sharing your opinions.
    I recently purchased a new turntable after a long absence. I bought a Marantz TT-15S1 which comes with a Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood cartridge.
    A friend of mine would really like that cartridge from me and is willing to buy me the under $900 cartridge of my choice in trade for the Virtuoso. He recommended the Ortofon 2M Black, and in doing some research it seems like a great cart, but how would it compare to the Virtuoso?
    I should mention that my listening is mainly Rock (70's, 80's, 90's 00's) with some Jazz here and there. (Some fairly aggressive hard rock / metal as well).
    While I know that the Virtuoso is an excellent cartridge I've heard it described as "soft" sounding. I've also heard the Black described as "aggressive" sounding which might line up well with my source material? I've also heard that the black is harder to "dial in"
    I have not yet set up the Marantz so I'd like to pick a cart quickly and get that bad boy playing.
    Anyone have experience with this table and both (or either) cart?
    Or general takeaways on the differences between these 2 with any table?
    Is any possible advantage of the black worth any added trouble in setup?
    Thanks for your help!

2. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love

Also interested in this question.

TT Clear audio Concept magnetic tone arm.

Should I buy the Ortofon 2M Black or the Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 for it? Which one is better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.