Cleveland, OH - Record Store Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by V I Aboytes, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

W-O-W!!! I just went to "Jerry's Records" facebook page and look who posted in June, after Jerry announced that he was retiring ...

Mr. Bill Inglot (of "RHINO" fame), which, in my opinion, speaks volumes for Jerry! NICE ...

Bill Inglot Never could have done my job for the last 30 years without Jerry's records and more importantly....Jerry.
    June 12 at 1:47am

steelydanguy likes this.
  2. Chris C

"The Exchange" (almost all locations), used to be the best for finding great used CD's, but now, they know when a "good one" comes in and they price it too high, much like the recent "CD Exchange" stores did, before they went belly-up! "CD Exchange" would have $100 bucks on a Michael Stanley Band CD, I mean, come on!!!

3. DorothyV

DorothyV Active Member

What type of music do you listen to?

I mostly listen to 80s through current day British / alt rock / indie / college rock bands and I routinely find a decent amount of mint or near mint cds of those types of artists in the $1 section. More so in the Coventry location than in the Willoughby location since Coventry seems to have a higher ratio of customers who buy hip-hop and pop albums; thus, the used rock cds they receive are probably more likely to remain unsold if priced too high.

I could be that I just buy out all of their gems in the $1 section before you get a chance to see them. If that is the case, sorry!

4. DorothyV

DorothyV Active Member

Every once in a while, I find some gems in Half Price Book's $2 cd section as well. This past weekend, I picked up around 10 mint $2 cds at the Mentor location - it looked like they had just marked a bunch of cds down to clearance from their regular prices before I went into the store that day.

5. Chris C

I like "all" types of music, mostly 40's through the late '80's and believe me, I have found many decent deals for a buck at "The Exchange" locations, but they are usually CD's the average person would never buy, like the soundtrack to "Midnight Express" or some "Big Band" CD. I'm talking about the regualr priced CD's, like when a Hoffman DCC pops in the door and they charge more than the disc is worthy of, especially in the condition that many of that type arrive in. They feel that it's justified to sell a DCC CD just because it says DCC on it, no matter what condition it's in and I call them out on that!

6. Chris C

There was a time at "Half Price Books" where I found a stone mint original vinyl copy of "Presenting The Ronettes" on PHILLES, for $4 bucks and I about crapped myself when I made it out the door, as I figured that I had to of just committed some sort of crime! Of course, the "REAL" crime, was that they probably paid the guy that brought that in there, a buck or two, which clearly was WRONG, as that album lists in Tim Neely's Goldmine Price Guide for around $250 dollars!

clhboa likes this.
  7. DorothyV

DorothyV Active Member

Ahh, I see. I too am confused by their sometimes seemingly incoherent pricing strategy. Like I said, I will find mint cds by non-top 40, but indie buzz bands, in the $1 section. Then, I will find scratched-to-hell cds by top-40 artists for close to the same price a new copy sells for on Amazon. I guess the average customer really has different priorities than us when making purchases.

Chris C likes this.
  8. DorothyV

DorothyV Active Member

In HPB's defense, I highly doubt that either the HPB employee or the seller to HPB has ever even heard of Tim Neely's Goldmine Price Guide.

9. Chris C

Good for us as buyers is all I can say, if that's the case? By the way, not sure if you know it or not, but Mr. Tim Neely is a member of this fine forum and he often chimes in with very informative posts!

DorothyV likes this.
  10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I keep the Goldmine guides around for general discographical information but the price information is quaint and useless today.