Cleveland, OH - Record Store Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by V I Aboytes, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I remember going to Record Den as a child when it was in the former Severance Mall in Cleveland Heights. At the time I was born it must still have had records, but I think by the time I was in first grade (1989) they stopped selling them. I was in the Mentor Record Den fairly recently and yes I would say most of the vinyl did not look like it was in as good as VG condition.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

record den in mentor seems to doing what most used vinyl merchants are doing, putting out everything and anything just because vinyl is hot.

and most people (not the one's here) could care what shape their vinyl is in, they just want to be cool and say they have vinyl to play on their $40 turntable they bought at FYE. sound quality is irrelevant, totally.

3. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Well, IMO I don't really understand the recent resurgence of vinyl records. IMO, they simply don't sound anywhere near as good as CDs, unless I suppose you have a very expensive phonograph (and probably not even then). If you are going to insist on vinyl, you might as well buy one of those $40 turntables, (as I myself did) and then it really will sound like the 1960s.

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

He is rarely open when I'm in that area, which is rare, since I don't work up that way anymore, but he seems to have some decent stuff, among the Toto, Asia and Chicago albums, that overrun all used record stores. The tattooed gal who works there is very nice and she really knows her music, which is refreshing for someone so young. The one day I was there and she was spinning this newer band (sorry, I can't remember the band's name right now), but she was so excited about it and I loved that. I walked over to the latest Dan Auerbach album "Waiting For A Song" and told her to buy this one on vinyl, as I knew that she would like that, as it's so retro and fun (and for me, so NOT The Black Keys, whom I like but not love).

boboquisp likes this.
  5. Chris C

It's kind of funny reading your post, as just the other day I had my brother in the car (he is 16 years older than me) and I'm playing Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" from my iPod and he said "we need to hear this on vinyl as that sounds too good, it needs to sound muddy". It only took me two seconds to know that what he wants to hear is what he "remembers" and that is the original album on Columbia, which does sound really muddy, especially in comparison to the Columbia SACD from which I pulled the audio from, that is in my iPod.

I'm not going to argue the CD versus Vinyl debate with you, as there is good and bad with both (and I own thousands and thousands of each format), but if you can ever get yourself a reasonably priced used tube amp, pair of heritage Klipsch speakers and a Dual turntable (10xx or 12xx series), or similar and you will change your mind regarding listening to vinyl. Sure, there will be some pops and clicks, but there will also be a "warmth", which CD playback rarely ever provides. I always use my promo Quiex II LP pressing of Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" album, as my #1 example, which always gets jaws dropping, when I play that for friends.

DIRE STRAITS BROTHERS IN ARMS AUDIOPHILE QUIEX II PROMO LP BOB LUDWIG MASTERDISK | eBay

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  6. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I don't have the money to attempt such a setup, and will settle for CDs or actually quite possibly YouTube videos (I presume these are usually taken from CDs).

7. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

I like Hollow Bone. He carries a lot of new things that I like, and the few times I've been in there, we've turned each other on to some great stuff. Prices are okay. I've never been one to worry much about a dollar or two on something I'll keep the rest of my life. Vinyl Groove is cool, too. I like both of those stores because they have a nice mix of old and new records. Hollow Bone has almost constant sales, so you almost always save 10 - 15% off prices. Square Records is very cool, but it's small, I always find something there, though.

Bent Crayon is hard to find. They carry a very underground selection and they don't care about moving tons of units. It's a labor of love. They don't really care if you can't find it, either. I rarely found anything I would even pick up and check out in there, so I really don't go anymore. I wish they liked stuff I like, then it would be my favorite place on earth, but they do their thing and I do mine.

As for picking up a collection of 2000 records, I'm not surprised no one called back. I'd have grabbed a sample of 50 random ones to give them an idea. That's a lot of work for the store, and they all have records that aren't out on the floor. They don't all have a warehouse like The Exchange. Gus or David would have paid more than The Exchange if they knew up front it was good stuff.

8. Chris C

I showed photos and a short video flipping through about fifty or so random albums to the guy in Bedford and the guy who owns the store in Wooster, Ohio. I called the guy from "A Separate Reality" and I told the gal at Hollow Bone to tell the owner about what I had to sell. Oh well, like I said, their loss, as those records are sold now and I already told my wife who to skip, if my demise should arrive sooner than later, regarding my REAL collection! She won't be as easily amused by these guys as I was.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the used CD/record business has definitely changed in the last couple of years. the stores now have the upper hand on both CD's and vinyl.

they know that CD's are in no demand at all, and they THINK that everyone who walks in the door wants their doors vinyl and pay anything that they ask for it.

however, try to sell them a doors vinyl record and see what their offer is..........condition notwithstanding, they want to buy it for 25 cents and sell it for $10.

and even CD's that now will no longer even buy, and they still sell for $5 - $10. last week the exchange refused to take 15 CD's of mine say they had years worth of supply on them. i saw 4 alison krauss CD's that they wouldn't take and all 4 were prices at $8. now if i have 'years' supply of anything, i am marking it down to move it out and reduce my inventory, right?

Chris C likes this.
  10. Chris C

Have the upper hand, or as I called it with my 2,000 or so albums, stupidity for passing. Sure there were a few promo Eddie Rabbitt and choose your favorite "blah" album to you albums in that 2,000, but there was also "The Best Of The Doors Quad" and "Alive She Cried". Some of these guys were all about cherry picking the 100 or so of them that they knew were worth, well over $20 a piece, so they wouldn't have to bother with the rest. That was not the way that I was selling them, as I had to get them out of my mom's house (she passed away) and I made it crystal clear to each of them that that was the way that I was selling them and that there would be no cherry picking! For the record, I had already cherry picked and tossed out, about 300 or so albums muself that I knew these guys would never want in a billon years (Christmas, Pete Fountain, Big Band, etc) and they still ended up stiffing on me, so boo hoo to them. When I walk in their stores now, I can see the faces of the people who "allowed themselves" to be took, in both price and position, when selling to them! If I knew that all that it took to run a half assed record store, was to wait for the idiot to walk in the door with near mint copies of Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Beatles and Miles Davis and let me have them for $2 bucks a piece, so I could sell them for $30, then I'd have opened my own store years ago. I could have opened a store with that "B" collection alone, it was that decent!

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

$2 would be over-paying today.

they want the red vinyl 'nazz nazz' for 25¢.....and then put it on the internet for $100.

12. Chris C

Thanks for the tip, as I still have my red vinyl "Nazz"!

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Does anyone know when the next record show is in Fairview Park on Brookpark Rd? I think the place is a VFW hall and they have 4 shows a year but they seem to have quit sending me postcards to know when the next show is.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I don't, is it on the Record Shows of America website?

Actually sold on eBay recently for less than $20, and again at $30. About what I got for mine. It was a cut-out, it's not rare. Black Vinyl SGC copies might even be scarcer.

16. Chris C

17. Chris C

I haven't been to that show in a few years, used to be a pretty decent show, but the one that I really miss is the one that used to have in Parma at the UAW hall. Chris Quinn (the late DJ from WGAR and Majic 105.7 AM) and many others, used to have tons of great singles at that show! Chris Quinn once asked me if I had the "stereo" version of Paul Mauriat's "Love Is Blue", which I did and I made him a CD-R of the song and that was what they used to play on the air at Majic 105.7.

18. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

The Fairview show is usually updated on Record Shows of America, but not yet. November was the last one for the year. I did pretty well at the November show. Things had been a little iffy there. A lot of the same Classic Rock over and over. I know he usually does one in April, around the 23rd. The Northeast Ohio Vinyl Club on Facebook has a Spin Swap Social at the Happy Dog this weekend, I think. Jan. 14th at the Winchester in Lakewood is their first "show." Dealer tables are five bucks at the door, and admission is free. That should be a good show.

19. V I Aboytes

V I Aboytes Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you are looking for punk this is a good place:

Hausfrau Record Shop
    1388 W 65th
    Cleveland, OH 44102

I picked up some reasonably priced Dead Kennedy's originals here.

Good stuff!

20. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Hahahaha. Not your cup of meat, eh? How funny.

21. Chris C

Yeah that place is a bit underground. This store reminds me of what it would have been like, back when I was a kid and the only kind of bands that they would stock are "The Fugs" and "Zappa".

22. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Feb 25. Tell him you didn't get your postcard at the door and he'll give you the discount. Which is like 50 cents.

milankey likes this.
  23. Chris C

Thanks for the heads up about the show!

24. You've got a healthy scene going on there in Cleveland when a store can specialize in what was once just a part of a what made great record store:righton:

https://bentcrayonrecords.com/

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

anyone been to time traveler in akron lately?

is it even still open?

gotten better?

gotten worse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.