Click repair question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by earlburtnett, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlburtnett

earlburtnett Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi
    I use click repair to clean up 78s and it does a pretty good job but theres room for improvement..i usually run it once and it is ok..if I run it again will it further clean up the file if I did run it again..?im a total novice at this stuff that's why I'm using this software..any suggestion would be appreciated..im on a dell computer with windows 10 64 bits..thanks

lenny

2. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Yes, you can process a file more than once...
    check the "reverse" box for the first pass, and take it off for the second pass...

Keep the DeClick settings as low as possible to get what you need...
    The song will sound too "dead" when over-processed.

I don't care for the sound of the DeCrackle, so I don't use it...

seed_drill and Rad Dudeski like this.
  3. earlburtnett

hi steve
    I tried to do what you suggested but it didn't really clean up the file..when you say keep the setting as low as possiable what do you mean?

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Imo low setting is 13, 14, or 15. Anything lower and too many ticks are left in.

So ideally 14 in reverse and another pass in forward and you should be about perfect. Listen and see if any need removed and ifcsobfobthem by hand in other software.

5. earlburtnett

hi quick
    where in settings is these 13 or 14 or 15 numbers?

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Look at the DeClick slider at the bottom left... here it's set to 50:

[​IMG]

The FRiNgE and quicksrt like this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Indeed, slide that bastard to 14 or 15 and you are about perfect. Make sure reverse box is checked for first pass, and unchecked for second pass.

8. action pact

That is exactly how I do it. I then manually remove any stray ticks or pops in Audacity.

Rad Dudeski and The FRiNgE like this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, and sometimes there are none left needing removed, and sometimes just one or two. This means that 14 or 15 is doing a great job and is not overkill either.

10. action pact

Yes, most of the time that is all you need. :righton:

I'd rather have to manually deal with a stray tick here and there than have the transients shaved off!

seed_drill likes this.
  11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I only use minimal DeCrackle on my truly scratched up records. It either performs a miracle or confirms that I need to throw the record away.

Otherwise, you should never need it.

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

For fairly quiet recording I usually use 10 declick setting and no decrackle (the latter can mess up certain recordings like synthpop).

For pretty messy recordings I'll usually up to around 25 declick and then some decrackle as well, depending on genre and type of surface noise. From my experience once you go above 35 or so the recording itself may get negatively affected by the changes where it's audible.

arisinwind likes this.
  13. earlburtnett

I see I think...thanks

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's even too high a setting for me. I never go any higher than 15 for clicks, and almost never decrackle. The lowest setting for clicks is 5.

15. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes! I have removed manually on Audacity with great success, but this becomes tedious for more than a few ticks. The advantage of manual is no degradation of the waveform.

action pact likes this.
  16. earlburtnett

ok we all know how this software works..when you want to further clean up a file you may run it a few times say 5 times to really clean it up..but then you have 5 copies of the file..it gets very complicated if you want to make a cd with 20 song on it..can you delete the extra files before you want to burn it to a cd?

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, you can simply delete the songs that are repeats keeping only the keepers for burning.

But save your original untreated wavs for now, and make sure you are good with new files before you delete them. We sometimes realize later we need to rework something and need the originals.

But you should not have to do 5 passes. After two passes (one in reverse and one in forward) any additional passes (using the same settings) should not fine any more ticks or clicks to repair. If you need to up the settings number for additional pass or two, then you should start over and use that higher setting to begin with.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

In ClickRepair there is no degradation to the waveform in auto mode either if done right under normal circumstances.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  19. earlburtnett

hi say you run the software 5 time to clean up a file..thats 5 copies..can you remove these extra 5 file copies to keep it simple?

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, you can simply delete the songs/ wav files that are repeats keeping only the keepers for burning.

21. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Best thing to do is listen to the removed noise only and adjust the level of removal up until you can start to hear music being removed. Then dial it back down until you can no longer hear music being removed. Pay special attention to percussion attacks. If you start hearing a regular pattern of clicks that corresponds to drum or cymbal hits, dual it back.

The FRiNgE and elaterium like this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Wouldn't the visual red lines be the most accurate way to see what is going on? Or do you believe that music is being altered with no red lines shown in display?

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is ridiculous. Most LPs that aren’t beat up can be done at 2 to 5 and virtually everything but major pops (which ClickRepair won’t fix anyway and might make worse) will get caught.

24. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Since you can monitor the click removal process in real time and switch between original, cleaned, and clicks only, I prefer to do it by ear. This way I can find a balance between too much and too little processing.

krisbee likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't go by condition of the record at all, it is based on the type of music and level audio was cut at in relation to surfaces.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.