Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

I wish I could embrace you, my friend! All of these songs are among my favourites - each and every one! And the top one is my all-time favourite! Add "MISS YOU NIGHTS", "EASE ALONG" and a few others, and you have, more or less, all the Cliff you´ll ever need. (Eh... Except that I want it all, to be honest.)

One of the most inspiring posts in a long time! :righton:

2. Jarleboy

I think the reason they released "I CANNOT GIVE YOU MY LOVE" is exactly the one you pointed out - the Bee Gees connection. Two stars for the price of one. I used to find the A-side boring, but I like it now. It´s not great, but it´s pleasant MOR. Like you, I enjoyed "SHE´S ALL MINE" much more than I thought I would. This far into Cliff´s career, and he releases what is more or less a double A-side, at least in terms of quality. Sometimes Cliff deserves more credit than he´s allowed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  3. Phil_Rocks

Phil_Rocks Forum Resident

Can anyone shed any light on this version of i cannot give you my love, i do prefer this version more than the original

4. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

'When Two Worlds Drift Apart' is my favourite Cliff Richard song. Should have been a No 1 in my opinion.

'Hot Shot' was overshadowed by the success of 'We Don't Talk Anymore' and 'Carrie' IMO on a personal note, I think it's the best of the three singles that were taken from the 'Rock 'n' Roll Juvenile' album. Just my opinion though.

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  5. Dream #9

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  6. Dream #9

Cliff Richard 'Hot Shot' can't believe this didn't even make the top 40 in the UK charts. It was a number one for me all the way.

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Love this song, agree, strange it wasn't a hit. It had air play and had just followed a no 1.
    I do prefer the re-vamped version from the " My Kind Life" album though.

8. Jarleboy

This is what Robert Porter has to say on the matter;
    This version is only available on a German promo CD (which also features the single and album versions). This version was remixed exclusively for the promo to be used in the German market. It's not only an edit, but also a remix. The song arrangement is rearranged and additional guitar and keyboard added.

Running Time: 3:36
    Record Date: January & November 2003
    Record Location: Middle Ear Studios, Miami, Florida
    Written By: Ashley Gibb & Barry Gibb
    Produced By: Barry Gibb
    Engineered By: John Merchant
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Alan Kendall (guitar), Barry Gibb (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Matt Bonelli (bass), Maurice Gibb (keyboards), Doug Emery (keyboards)
    Released On: I Cannot Give You My Love promo CD single (2005 — Germany — Edel 0164385EREP)

I think I might have to buy that promo single. :righton:

CheshireCat, mark ab and Phil_Rocks like this.
  9. Jarleboy

Well, I hate to disagree with you, but I think the two other singles were better. Having said that. I do like "HOT SHOT" a lot. (And it´s from my all-time favourite Cliff album, with nary a less than great track.)

Have you heard the remixed version from 1992? Not a big difference, but still good.

mark ab likes this.
  10. Jarleboy

Yeah, both versions are great. I understand why it wasn´t a hit, but it´s still a great track.

mark ab likes this.
  11. Jarleboy

Look at page 16 of this thread - "WHEN TWO WORLDS DRIFT APART" is covered and discussed there. You´ll see what i think of the song - and why. :agree:
    There´s also a discussion about its merits as a single. Circumstances around the release made sure it wasn´t a hit, but it´s not really a commercial song. Still, it will always be my No. 1.

mark ab likes this.
  12. Dream #9

That was a nice piece you wrote about the song and why it means so much to you. It's strange that when we go through break ups or anything else 'sad' that happens in our life we are always drawn to a song that mirrors what we have gone through. Losing a parent or feeling lonely the go to song is 'Alone Again Naturally' (I'm a massive fan of Gilbert O'Sullivan) or if it's a break up, my go to song is Sad Cafe 'Every Day Hurts' we all do it. You'd think we would play something uplifting. But we don't. Strange how the mind works :)

John Adam, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  13. Jarleboy

Yes, isn´t it? I think we need something that reflect what we feel. We don´t need to escape the feeling, but to express it in some way. Music helps - at least it helps me. Agree about Gilbert O´Sullivan - although he should be "punished" for writing "A WOMAN´S PLACE IS IN THE HOME". Apart from that atrocity, he wrote many a classic, and he is constantly being underrated. "EVERY DAY HURTS"... Not often I think about that song, but I love it.

mark ab likes this.
  14. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I do think, on balance, it was remarkable Mr. Richard's chart run was as long as it was. Reminds me a bit of Perry Como in the States - he was pushing 59 when he had his last US Top 10 (on the Hot 100, that is) with "It's Impossible" in early 1971 - and was past 60 when "And I Love You So" scraped the Top 20 two years later.

CheshireCat, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Jarleboy

Agree. Totally. He was close to giving it up on several occasions, we´ve been told. He didn´t succumb to Beatlemania, but near the end of the 60s, he had serious thoughts of becoming a teacher. His interest in his recordings decreased, but still the hits kept a-coming, though they usually peaked lower than they had done. A new producer, David MacKay, did solid work, but after the initial success of a Eurovision entry, Cliff sort of faded away. His career would probably have ended in 1975, had not Bruce Welch been there to seek out good songs for Cliff. Again, it has reported that he was close to throwing the towel in in 1979, before "WE DON´T TALK ANYMORE" re-energised his career. He had another lull in the mid-80s, but from 1989-1995, he was solid. After that, he faded away a bit, but still scored the occasional Top Ten hit. After the Millennium, he´s been rather subdued in the charts, and very few of the hits made any marks outside of England. (Not even in the rest of the UK.)

So, why has his career lasted for so long? I think he has been quite lucky with the people around him, and his voice has more or less held out. (Though there was a change around 1992/1993, I feel.) After the relative failure of the "SOMETHING´S GOIN´ON" album, at least commercially, his heart hasn´t seemed to be in it to the same extent.

He´ll be 77 this October. Will he score another hit before he retires? I doubt it, but I hope he does. He is seen as more and more irrelevant, and I suppose rightly so. Still, only Cliff is Cliff, and there´s something about him. We have spelt out his doom before, and I won´t do it now.

I hope he continues to record and perform for as long as it pleases him.

RonBaker, CheshireCat and John Adam like this.
  16. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

Has anyone heard his song with a The Piano Boys, It's Gonna Be Okay? A very catchy, contemporary sounding song with particularly apt lyrics. If this catches the publics imagination as well as it should do, it should be a great hit for him!

17. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Yes I have heard it. On Radio 2, very nice song.

CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  18. Jarleboy

Do you mean the Piano Guys? With Cliff?

mark ab likes this.
  19. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

Yes, it is fantastic!

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Jarleboy

I found the song, and, as you say, it´s a good one. I know this sounds stupid, but... What is the connection to Cliff? Are they touring with him, or?

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  21. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

Not too sure. They are releasing their first LP in the U.K. so I suppose they wanted a high profile guest to help them promote it, but this is just me hazarding a guess.

CheshireCat, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  22. Jarleboy

Thanks, Stephen. Living in Norway, some things never reach our news. And Cliff is definitely one of them. So, has he been appearing with them or duetted with them on their album, or...? I Googled them, and found next to nothing.

Edit: I tried again, and found lots of information. Sorry - I´m not enjoying my usual brain power tonight. That´s NOT unusual...

CheshireCat, mark ab and StephenB like this.
  23. Jarleboy

I just pre-ordered the new album, which features two version of "(It´s Gonna Be) OKAY". (One featuring Cliff, the other one not.) Should we expect a return to the charts? Stranger things have happened.

Nice to have something current to respond to! :righton:

CheshireCat, StephenB and mark ab like this.
  24. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Yes I have heard it and think it's great, very catchy.
    As for it being a hit, unfortunately I think those days have gone, but you just never know!

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  25. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

This remix has made a boring song much better! Never heard it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.