Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Yep. They do have that "specs appeal" happening, both of them. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

CheshireCat, mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  2. Jarleboy

Thank you. I would love to see that footage. I guess they will release it, perhaps for the 60th anniversary next year?

CheshireCat, When In Rome and mark ab like this.
  3. Jarleboy

"I AIN´T GOT TIME ANYMORE" was another one of the tracks featured on "BEST OF CLIFF, VOL. 2". In other words - I love it! The song was originally recorded by The Glass Bottle, and their version of the song reached No. 36 in the US charts in early 1970. It was written by two of Cliff´s regular suppliers of production and songs, and it´s recognisably an early 70s sort of a ballad. It reached No. 21 in the UK charts, but managed No. 14 in Ireland. I often felt quite maudlin when I listened to the aforementioned 1972 compilation album, and this song makes feeling sorry for yourself all that much easier! The lyrics depict how the main character can´t be bothered by the woes of the world. He´s in love with this girl, you see... Well, we´ve all been there, and the lyrics capture that moment very well. Not one we´re proud of, but still. It´s all part of the human condition.

Like most songs released in this period, it wasn´t a big hit. Again, I can´t help feeling this would have made a great album track, a lovely deep cut. A pop hit? Not so much. Cliff´s vocal on this is just great. It´s almost as he had been in love himself at one point.

Robert Porter:
    "August 22, 1970: Cliff's 51st single, I Ain't Got Time Anymore/Monday Comes Too Soon, is released. The song is scored and arranged by Mike Vickers of Manfred Mann fame."
    Mike Read, Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (1995 - The Complete Chronicle)

Running Time: 2:32
    Record Date: March 12, 1970
    Record Location: Abbey Road, London
    Written By: Mike Leander & Eddie Seago
    Arranged By: Mike Vickers
    Produced By: Norrie Paramor
    Engineered By: Unknown
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Mike Vickers (orchestra conductor), The Mike Vickers Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)

When In Rome, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  4. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Cliff's version is much better than the original, but Cliff's was released on Monument records and even though they were distributed by Columbia, they didn't really know how to promote their records very well: Glass Bottle - Ain't Got Time Anymore

5. Jarleboy

"MONDAY COMES TOO SOON" was the B-side of this single, and I suppose no one disagrees with that sentiment! Like "GOOD TIMES", it was co-written by Jerry Lordan, who had written many hits for Cliff & The Shadows. ("APACHE", "A GIRL LIKE YOU" etc.) He co-wrote this song with Hank Marvin. Nothing about this song is groundbreaking or new, so all it´s got going for it is that it´s sort of cute. Coming from those two songwriters, perhaps we thought we could expect more? As a B-side, it barely scrapes by. On likeability alone.

Robert Porter:
    "August 22, 1970: Cliff's 51st single, I Ain't Got Time Anymore/Monday Comes Too Soon, is released."
    "Jerry Lordan has written many of the Shadows' hits, including Apache, Wonderful Land and Atlantis, and he co-wrote Monday Comes Too Soon with Hank Marvin. Cliff released the song in 1970 as the flipside of I Ain't Got Time Anymore."
    Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (2008 - liner notes for Rare B-Sides 1963 - 1989 album in the ...And They Said It Wouldn't Last! {My 50 Years In Music} set)

Running Time: 2:30
    Record Date: March 12, 1970
    Record Location: Abbey Road, London
    Written By: Hank Marvin & Jerry Lordan
    Arranged By: Mike Vickers
    Produced By: Norrie Paramor
    Engineered By: Unknown
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Mike Vickers (orchestra conductor), The Mike Vickers Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)

6. Jarleboy

Oh, yes, I do agree. Cliff´s voice is much stronger, I think, and the arrangement is very good. Thanks for posting the link - I hadn´t gotten around to it, and my computer is playing up. :righton:

Edit: The original may be a bit more dynamic - the acoustic opening contrasted with the more intense chorus. Cliff´s version avoids the theatricals - and is the better for it, I think. The original may be attention-seeking, while Cliff´s version whispers in your ears. And I prefer the latter. It suits the song and the lyrics better.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  7. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

And I'm quite happy with I'LL LOVE YOU FOREVER TODAY! There again, if we were all the same... It's B side was better though.

Jarleboy, mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  8. CheshireCat

I do like this one, in some ways because it was one of the singles I found amongst my mum's old singles - and it's one I don't know how it got there - the others are all 1962-63, and she can't remember it either - either way, I like it, and the B side MONDAY COMES TO SOON too.

9. Jarleboy

I have to say that I love both sides of the single, but the B-side would obviously have more commercial appeal. And it´s a great version of that Neil Diamond song - "GIRL, YOU´LL BE A WOMAN SOON". Would sound a bit creepy coming from Cliff in 2017, maybe... No, it´s a great version of a great song.

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  10. Jarleboy

It may not be the stuff that hits are made of, but I like it. Especially when I´m feeling sorry for myself. So, most of the time, then... ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  11. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Well, never seen this cover before, wonder if Cliff was aware it was promoted somewhere as a Christmas single?
    In fact, I know that " I Love You" was number one at Christmas, but don't think it was promoted as a Christmas song!!
    Then, this record must have been the first of his Christmas hits!
    Just for the record (sorry!), I like this song. He sang it live on one of the variety performances, or something similar, in the 80s I think, and it was a great performance. Perhaps if people watch that they might change their opinion on it, or maybe not!

Jarleboy, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  12. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Like this track too, agree nice and catchy.

mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  13. Jarleboy

Yes, it´s not a bad song. But I find I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it fully.

And yes, this must be his first "official" Christmas single.

14. Jarleboy

Thank you , Tim. Glad someone in addition to me likes this song. It´s not art, granted, but it´s fun. For me anyway. And Tim!

mark ab likes this.
  15. CheshireCat

I'm sure we'd all agree that there's at least one song for everyone in Cliff's repertoire. It's not mine though!

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Jarleboy

Fair enough. :agree: As I´ve said before, I find it fascinating that different songs appeal to us. I, for one, can´t stand "MORE TO LIFE", but others love it. And I think that´s great. There are no right or wrong answers, just opinions and reactions.

17. Jarleboy

"SUNNY HONEY GIRL" was released as a single in early 1971, and it was his first soul stomper. (At least that´s how I view the song.) Coming in one of Cliff´s fallow periods, it did well to reach No. 19 in the UK charts. Perhaps a glimpse of what was to come later, with Stephen´s favourite album, "SOULICIOUS".

The song itself was first released by The Pipkins, of "GIMME DAT DING" fame. It featured on a joint album with The Sweet in 1970. Their version didn´t chart. Cliff recorded the song, written by stalwarts Roger Cook, Roger Greenaway, Johnnie Goodison & Tony Hiller, who jointly stood behind lots of hits and misses for various British pop stars in the 60s and 70s.

I have already proclaimed myself an aficionado of all the songs on "BEST OF CLIFF, VOL. 2", and this is no excpetion. It did relatively well in the Charts, but I do believe that it would have done even better if it had been released in a more high-profile era of Cliff´s career. This was a step up from the cozy material Cliff had been recording in the late 60s/early 70s, and in "better times" - no pun intended - would probably have been a Top Ten hit. It did chart in other territories, reaching No. 20 in New Zeland and No. 30 in Belgium. I inherited my sister´s Norwegian picture sleeve version of the single, and I played it half to death. Can I be objective about this single? I think I can. And I love it.

[​IMG]

Robert Porter:
    "Sunny Honey Girl was an A-side for me..."
    Cliff Richard (1974 - The Music And Life Of Cliff Richard collection)
    "Of the more successful [singles during the 1971 to 1974 period], Sunny Honey Girl enjoyed moderate sales sending the single to a top twenty position. [...] January 9, 1971: Cliff's 52nd single is released. Sunny Honey Girl has two songs on the 'B' side -- I was Only Fooling Myself and a duet with Olivia Newton-John Don't Move Away. One reviewer says: 'It's likely to be one of Cliff's biggest hits for some time.' The 'A' side is a song jointly written by two songwriting teams-- Roger Cook & Roger Greenaway teaming up with Johnny Goodison and Tony Hillier."
    "Released in January 1971 Sunny Honey Girl entered the UK charts on 23 January 1971 and reached #19 during an 8 week spell on the chart."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (July 2004 - liner notes for Tracks 'N Grooves remaster album)

• Running Time: 2:55
    • Record Date: November 16, 1970
    • Record Location: Abbey Road, London
    • Written By: Roger Cook, Roger Greenaway, Johnnie Goodison & Tony Hiller
    • Arranged By: Brian Bennett
    • Produced By: Norrie Paramor
    • Engineered By: Peter Vince & Richard Lush
    • Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Brian Bennett (orchestra conductor), Brian Bennett Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)

mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  18. Jarleboy

This single was released as a "maxi single". That meant that it had one A-side, but two tracks on the B-side. The first one of those was a song we´ve discussed before, as it was the first duet with Olivia newton-John. A slight and twee ballad, written by the tema behind such songs as "ANNABELLA UMBRELLA", it was a Nice showcase for their voices, but little more. I still find it pleasant, but it´s not really an essential song in either artist´s catalogue. Their voices sound good together, though.

Robert Porter:
    "Sunny Honey Girl was an A-side for me and when we were trying out-- when Olivia and I were trying out sort of like recording together, we did a song called Don't Move Away. And I must say, I really like the song. And John Farrar did the arrangement for it. And we put on a sort of... We had a... It was on a maxi-single, really, 'cause we put Olivia and I singing on the B-side with another song as well, I think... um... I Was Only Fooling [sic]. And, um... Funnily enough, I think in some countries Don't Move Away really took off."
    Cliff Richard (1974 - The Music And Life Of Cliff Richard collection)
    "We went into the studio and did it. I was absolutely terrified because I'd never sung with a live orchestra. And to sing with him as well, it was really quite... [imitates getting ecstatic shivers]... experience for me. But he was fantastic. He was quite successful."
    Olivia Newton-John (1974 - The Music And Life Of Cliff Richard collection)
    "Y'know, Olivia and I were sort of trying out, like, recording together. We did a song called Don't Move Away. And I must say, I really like the song. And John Farrar did the arrangement for it. And we put it on a sort of... We had a... It was on a maxi-single, really, 'cause we put Olivia and I singing on the B-side and we put another song as well... I think, um, I Was Only Fooling [sic]. And, um... Funnily enough, I think in some countries, Don't Move Away really took off. "
    Cliff Richard (August 1980 - The Cliff Richard Special on 2HCR FM in Australia)
    "We went into the studio and did it. I was absolutely terrified 'cause I'd never sung with a live orchestra and to sing with [Cliff] as well. It was really quite a moving experience, really. He was fantastic, though. He was quite successful. Then I was invited to do his Christmas show that year. And I think I did little pantomime sketch and things. And on the strength of that, I was invited back to do more of his series."
    Olivia Newton-John (August 1980 - The Cliff Richard Special on 2HCR FM in Australia)
    "January 9, 1971: Cliff's 52nd single is released. Sunny Honey Girl has two songs on the 'B' side -- I was Only Fooling Myself and a duet with Olivia Newton-John Don't Move Away."
    "Don't Move Away was composed by Valerie Avon and Harold Shapiro and the session took place at Abbey Road's Studio 2 on November 16th, 1970 with Cliff's long-time producer, Norrie Paramor, at the helm. The song was eventually issued in February 1971 as the flip-side to his single Sunny Honey Girl. The song was eventually issued on CD for the first time in Britain on the album Cliff Richard - 1970s by EMI Records in 1999."
    Darren Mason (1999 - Olivia: One Woman's Journey)
    Editor's note: The composer's name is "Spiro," not "Shapiro" as stated here.
    "The non-album bonus tracks [on the Tracks 'N Grooves remaster CD] include the first duet Cliff recorded with Olivia Newton-John, Don't Move Away, the original flip of Sunny Honey Girl which was also Cliff's first single of 1971, released at the beginning of another 13 week series for BBC television."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (July 2004 - liner notes for Tracks 'N Grooves remaster album)
    "Sunny Honey Girl was backed not only with I Was Only Fooling Myself, but also with a duet with Olivia Newton-John - Don't Move Away. The inclusion of this song may have been an attempt to bring her music to a wider audience as her career was just beginning to take off. It has not been included on this [...And They Said It Wouldn't Last! {My 50 Years In Music}] set as it has made an appearance on CD previously."
    Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (2008 - liner notes for Rare B-Sides 1963 - 1989 album in the ...And They Said It Wouldn't Last! {My 50 Years In Music} set)

Running Time: 3:01
    • Written By: Valerie Avon & Harold Spiro
    • Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Olivia Newton-John (duet vocals), Brian Bennett (orchestra conductor), other artists and instruments unknown

When In Rome and mark ab like this.
  19. Jarleboy

The second track on the B-side is the one featured on the B-side collection in the "AND THEY SAID IT WOULDN´T LAST" box set. It´s a pleasant country ballad, with a set of lyrics that is another teen setting for a story of unrequited love. Along with "GOODBYE SAM, HELLO SAMANTHA", "GIRL, YOU´LL BE A WOMAN SOON" and several other songs from this era, it feels a bit odd to hear the thrity year old Cliff sing as if he was a pre-pubescent boy. Still, I like the gentle pace of the song, and it works. I have often wondered why Cliff never recorded a whole album of country songs. He seems a natural for them.

Robert Porter:
    "January 9, 1971: Cliff's 52nd single is released. Sunny Honey Girl has two songs on the 'B' side -- I was Only Fooling Myself and a duet with Olivia Newton-John Don't Move Away."
    "Sunny Honey Girl was backed not only with I Was Only Fooling Myself, but also with a duet with Olivia Newton-John - Don't Move Away."
    "In June 1970 Cliff attempted both The Old Accordion and I Was Only Fooling Myself but these early versions were passed over in favour of new recordings made later."
    Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (2008 - liner notes for Lost And Found (From The Archives) album in the ...And They Said It Wouldn't Last! {My 50 Years In Music} set)

• Running Time: 3:03
    • Written By: Jimmy Campbell
    • Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Brian Bennett (orchestra conductor), other artists and instruments unknown

20. Jarleboy

Here is the original version of "SUNNY HONEY GIRL". The story goes that The Pipkins were persuaded not to release the song as a single, as it was rerouted to Cliff. Whether that story is true, I don´t know, but it sounds probable.

21. CheshireCat

This one works well in the time period it was released - and listening to the Pipkins' version, it sounds SO early '70s. On its own, it's quite inconsequential (as Cook/Greenaway tend to be) but it works really well on 'Best of Cliff Vol. 2' amongst all the other similar era songs. Definitely a step up from BIG SHIP and GOOD TIMES. It's 'of its time'. Whether any of the tracks on 'Best of Cliff Vol. 2' are classic singles, perhaps not, but it they had not been singles, and had been all album tracks, it'd be seen as one of Cliff's Classic Albums. Possibly! Yet the era is regarded as a slump...

When In Rome, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  22. Jarleboy

Grudgingly, I have to admit that you´re right about "SUNNY HONEY GIRL". It´s great, but definitely of its time. I still play it, of course, but as an "oldie". It´s one of the few Cliff tracks that would benefit from a remix or a remake.

Totally agree about "Cookaway" songs - mostly lightweight, pleasant songs. As far as I remember, they also wrote Cliff´s 1984 single "SHOOTING FROM THE HEART", and it´s the same - pleasant, nice, and, as you say, inconsequential.

I have often thought as you do about "BEST OF CLIFF, VOL.2". As a proper album and not a compilation of singles. It even flows quite well, and has a variety of styles. For instance - the sequencing of "THROW DOWN A LINE"/"JESUS" makes the latter shine. (The former is already a classic, IMO.) The same applies to the pairing of "SILVERY RAIN"/"BIG SHIP". I have always known "BIG SHIP" as the light meal after the heavy truth of "SILVERY RAIN". That way, it works. For me anyway.

I do think that it has a couple of classic singles - "THROW DOWN A LINE", "SING A SONG OF FREEDOM" and maybe even "GOODBYE SAM, HELLO SAMANTHA" are memorable. But as a whole, I think many of these tracks work better if you think of them as album cuts instead of singles. "I´LL LOVE YOU FOREVER TODAY" and "SILVERY RAIN" are two of my favourte Cliff songs, but they were not hit singles.

Nice to know that we have thought along the same lines about this material. Many of the songs are not among Cliff´s biggest hits, but the musikal worth. Even "FLYING MACHINE", which I think is the weakest link on this compilation, sort of works as a flawed track on a studio album.

This era may have been a "slump" - Cliff has admitted that he was not as motivated as he had been - and became later. Cliff´s interests were elsewhere. But his voice was in good shape, and some of the songs were very good, and some of the arrangements were excellent.

When In Rome, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  23. CheshireCat

Of course the album should have two or three big hit singles - THROW DOWN A LINE and SING A SONG OF FREEDOM certainly fit the bill. And yes, maybe GOODBYE SAM, HELLO SAMANTHA as a third single from the album! Of course we'd have to re-name the album... One of the song titles perhaps, a suitable line from one of the songs... or something completely different...

When In Rome, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  24. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Good to hear the Pipkin's version (Tony Burrows). I like it and I like Cliff's version too. I don't have a picture sleeve for it, just an orange/red coloured Columbia company sleeve.

25. Jarleboy

Agree about a name change. As long as it doesn´t feature the word "Cliff" - as in "CLIFF", "CLIFF SINGS", "LISTEN TO CLIFF", "CLIFF RICHARD" or "CLIFF - THE ALBUM".

Perhaps "THE JOY OF LIVING" would be a nice title track?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.