Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Yes, I think it´s interesting to hear the original versions of Cliff songs, if there are any.

I like the picture sleeve I had - it´s so indicative of the time it was released.

When In Rome, RonBaker and mark ab like this.
  2. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Yes, you could be right :) That would fit nicely. Then of course, we have the follow up UK album release of 'Power to all our friends'. I'd be quite happy listening to this alternate universe studio album discography! (I'm not releasing the religious albums.... ;) )
    1969, 'Sincerely',
    1970 'Tracks 'n' Grooves'
    1972 'The Joy Of Living'
    1973 'Power To All Our Friends'
    1973 'Take Me High'
    1974 '31st Of February Street'

When In Rome, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  3. Jarleboy

I´d buy all those! I like that series of albums. With a few changes made to the "TAKE ME HIGH" album, this might have increased Cliff´s chances of maintaining his career at a higher level. "SINCERELY" and "TRACKS´N´GROOVES" have their square moments, but also brilliant ones. "THE JOY OF LIVING" and "POWER TO ALL OUR FRIENDS" would have made credible additions to Cliff´s catalogue. Though I wish that we could exchange "HIGH´N´DRY" with something newer, perhaps even an unreleased track. Possibilities...

He, he... I don´t miss the religious albums, but I do think "ESTABLISHED 1958" from 1968 is a fun album. It has more of The Shadows´ humour, also in some of Cliff´s songs, and I like that. Cliff can take himself a bit too serious at times - The Shadows normally don´t.

But yes, I´m very happy with your version of Cliff´s catalogue from 1969-1974. Many good listening experiences there.

mark ab, When In Rome and CheshireCat like this.
  4. Jarleboy

Just to show what we are talking about, here are the two compilations that cover the period of many of these B-sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big difference between the two albums is that "Vol. 2" does not sequence the songs chronologically. Normally I prefer a chronological running order, but the sequencing of "Vol. 2" makes it a better album, I feel.

I have not commented on all the songs on these albums, as not all had B-sides featured on the disc in question.

NB! The back of "Vol. 1" features a list of chart placings for the singles that is more fiction than fact. Soem singles have the correct placing cited, whereas others have been boosted a little bit.

mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  5. CheshireCat

Oh yes, HIGH N DRY would have to go. I'll have to have a look at the appropriate years for the recording of the tracks on the 'Rare and Unreleased' CD for a replacement.

6. CheshireCat

The non-chronological ordering of 'Vol. 2', does make it seem as though it was, back then, thought out more as a 'real' album, with thought to the flow of the songs, rather than as a compilation. I hadn't studied the back of 'Vol. 1', but it could be that as there were several competing charts going at that time (until the end of the '60s), they picked the chart which gave the highest position!

I'm also thinking that (probably off track) how important '40 Golden Greats' must have been in preserving and enhancing the memory of particular Cliff hits. There are three well known songs on 'Vol. 2', the three from '40 Golden Greats', and the same with 'Vol. 1', to me, the lesser known and less remembered songs are the ones left off. (I know most were lesser hits - but IT'S ALL OVER and TIME DRAGS BY were both top 10, and, I say less well known that other similar placed hits like IN THE COUNTRY and VISIONS).

Jarleboy, mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  7. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Ummm...
    I don't mind 'High n Dry'.
    Rather like it actually...
    (I know, there's always one...) :winkgrin:

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  8. Jarleboy

I like it - it´s an OK song. The reason we wouldn´t want it on the "POWER TO ALL OUR FRIENDS" is not the quality of the song, but the period. It was the B-side of "CONGRATULATIONS", and a lot older than teh other tracks. For me, at least, that´s the only reason for keeping it off the compilation.

CheshireCat, mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  9. When In Rome

Ah, I see...
    I get lost sometimes. I get lost most times, to be honest...

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Yes, there were competing charts back then, but I think I checked several of them a while back, and some of the songs didn´t match any of them.

You´re right about "40 GOLDEN GREATS" - if you want the commercial hit songs, the ones that he probably wants to be remembered for, they made the right choices. As a long time fan, of course, you want more than just the big hits, but the compilation did what it set out to do. One for posterity.

Speaking of "IT´S ALL OVER" and "TIME DRAGS BY" - they are often forgotten, and not counted among his big hits, but I like them better than many of the No. 1.

But I do see your point. There is a reason some songs were popular with a lot of people.

11. Jarleboy

I don´t mind "HIGH´N´DRY" in general - it just doesn´t fit the time span. It´s an OK B-side, IMO, though not one I play that often. Good idea - check the "RARE & UNRELEASED" CD. Just don´t pick "PIGEON", please... :righton: (I know it´s the wrong CD, but...)

12. Jarleboy

Same here, same here. All the time.

13. When In Rome

Okay, apologies yet again for my frequent random meanderings but... I was listening to the song 'When the girl in you arms...' the other day and I realise this may be common knowledge but it's always sounded like its been slowed down a tad to me and I wondered if anyone has 'reversed the polarity of the neutron flow' so to speak to come up with the original tempo and if so, what is the secret formula. I fancy having a go myself...

14. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I think the tempo drags on purpose to make it sound 'dreamy'. :) It was from a film, so maybe it was slowed down. In either case, it's not exactly one of my favorites.

15. When In Rome

It drags. I don't mind it at all but the drag spoils it for me, never mind dreamy makes me feel sleepy... I wondered if it was returned to its original tempo it would suddenly unleash the song and it would scale new heights in tremendousness!
    ...or something.

Jarleboy, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  16. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I used the word 'dreamy' in a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that they (the producers) thought it made it sound dreamy. Just sounds boring to me and makes the b-side of the single (Got a Funny Feeling) the a-side for me.

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  17. CheshireCat

I'll pop the single on at 78rpm and see if it helps. Will report back in a minute...

18. CheshireCat

It's a perfectly pleasant speed for singing still... Certainly no faster than some of his other hits of the era... Just a little high pitched...

19. Jarleboy

Hilarious... :D I enjoyed thinking about that. It´s not often I think about that song. I remember Cliff saying that it was a bit embarrassing to have that song released as a single, as it´s almost a parody of a style of singing that you three describe so well. (Though not as obvious as with "THE SHRINE ON THE SECOND FLOOR".)

I don´t count this among my favourites, but sometimes I find myself singing along to it, so it must mean that I do enjoy it on some level. It´s not a bad song at all, but in a style that was dated even in 1961. And perhaps that´s the point?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    RonBaker, mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  20. CheshireCat

I think in the alternative universe UK LP 'Power to all our friends', I'm replacing the 1968 track HIGH N DRY, with the 1972 recording RUN FOR SHELTER. (From Lost and Found).
    NEW TRACK LISTING
    A: POWER TO ALL OUR FRIENDS
    COME BCK BILLIE JOE
    ASHES TO ASHES
    HELP IT ALONG
    THE DAYS OF LOVE
    TOMORROW RISING
    B: LIVING IN HARMONY
    EMPTY CHAIRS
    A BRAND NEW SONG
    THE OLD ACCORDION
    RUN FOR SHELTER
    MR. CLOUD

Jarleboy, mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  21. When In Rome

Once I fire up the 'pute I'll playlist that selection to try it out! ;)

Jarleboy, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  22. CheshireCat

[​IMG] This is the original LP, released in Germany.

23. When In Rome

Just put it together, after a slight panic. I couldn't find Mr. Cloud anywhere in my iTunes collection. I'm sure I had it. I know I had it! Just googled it and it's there on 'And They Said It Wouldn't Last! (My 50 Years In Music)' back to iTunes and it was there after all, I'd just failed to put a full stop after Mr and this threw the whole iTunes search engine. Modern Tech, eh? Well of course, it's not my fault...

24. Jarleboy

Perfect! I think a very good compilation just got better! :righton:

25. Jarleboy

And it was also released on a bootleg CD about ten years ago. I´d love to get my hands on that...

mark ab, CheshireCat and When In Rome like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.