Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like that you put that you like the record "JESUS". For me that´s part of the clue - it´s an interestingly recorded, arranged and produced song. More modern than any of his songs up to that point.

And yes, I also like that he - for once - was willing and eager to take a chance. He earns a lot of Brownie points just for that. "SMALL CORNERS" came five years later, and fullfilled the promise made with "JESUS".

I also admit that I always look forward to the sequence of "THROW DOWN A LINE" - "JESUS" when I listen to "BEST OF CLIFF, VOL. 2". There´s something interesting With the raw former being followed by the lmost fluffy latter. It reminds me of "THIEF IN THE NIGHT" being followed by "WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE" on the "NOW YOU SEE ME, NOW YOU DON´T" album. It´s the same feeling - the raw, heavy track being followed by a fluffy pop records. Also interestingly, "WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE" works very well in the context of the album, but did not work as a single. It´s too fluffy for a single, but a good song that found its perfect place in the running order of its parent album.

Anthony Holland and mark ab like this.
  2. StephenB

StephenB Well-Known Member

I don't wish to steal your thunder here but the English lyrics to Marianne were written by Bill Owen, the actor who played Compo in the long running BBC comedy Last of the Summer Wine.

Incidentally, I have a rather tenuous link to this man. Many years ago, just as I was starting secondary school, the school I went to was facing closure. Bill Owen put his name to the campaign to keep it open, and it worked!

sonnyrock, Jarleboy, RonBaker and 2 others like this.
  3. Jarleboy

I didn´t know it was the same Bill Owen! He also appeared in quite a few Carry Ons, and I love those. He was a lovely actor. Didn´t know he wrote the lyrics to this Eurovision song for Italy. Keep´em coming, Stephen! Nice to know there was a personal connection, too, however slight. I like those. :righton:

And don´t worry about stealing anyone´s thunder - there´s plenty enough thunder to go around!

Anthony Holland, StephenB and mark ab like this.
  4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Well-Known Member

I love info like this!

5. Jarleboy

Sorry about my absence - though you may have enjoyed it thoroughly for all I know! :righton: - but I have been veeery busy with the show I mentioned earlier. We have had two performances today, and the next one is in two hourse or so. You´ll be glad to know the first two performances went down a storm, and the kids love the title track now. Even the "cool" kids. Very gratifying.

But back to our dear Cliff. I said I would cover the remaining singles from "BEST OF CLIFF, VOL. 2", and I start with "MARIANNE". This may not be one of the strongest cuts on the album, but I do understand why Cliff liked it. A quiet, but intense ballad that is said to have been Italy´s entry in the Eurovisiong Song Festival that year. (I have no idea whether that is actually the case.) Edit: Read Robert Porter´s quote below. He really does have all the answers!) For me, the song has special meaning because of the syllables being the exact same number as as hat of my loved one´s surname. and the melancholy and outright sadness fit my mood like a glove back in those days. So, a slight song, maybe, but, like so many other tracks on this album, I love it.

It was also the perfect track to follow the more energetic and jaunty "GOODBYE SAM, HELLO SAMANTHA". As I said earlier, I think the sequencing of this album is just about perfect.

It was a minor hit, peaking at No. 22 in the UK charts. (It rose to No. 15 in Ireland, No. 18 in Belgium, No. 37 in The Netherlands and No. 56 in Australia. Not a big hit, but it charted in more countries than many other singles of this era.)

Robert Porter:

This song, Marianne, was originally recorded and released in Italian by Sergio Endrigo for the 1968 Eurovision Song Contest (in which Cliff competed with Congratulations). In less that half a year after the song contest, Cliff recorded an English language version of the song under the same song title. Cliff did not record an Italian language version of the song, however, curiously he did record a German language version, under the same title again, in late 1968 for the Hier Ist Cliff LP.
    "September 1968: Cliff's 43rd single is released-- Marianne/Mr. Nice."
    Mike Read, Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (1995 - The Complete Chronicle)
    "And yet his more recent A-sides from the era, such as I'll Love You Forever Today, Marianne and It's All Over were totally ignored [for the Cliff Live At The Talk Of The Town concert performances]."
    Peter Lewry and Nigel Goodall (March 2007 - liner notes for Live At The Talk Of The Town Remaster CD)
    "Released in September 1968 the [Marianne] single charted on 25 September 1968 and reached #22 during an 8 week spell on the chart."
    Peter Lewry and Nigel Goodall (March 2007 - liner notes for Established 1958 Remaster CD)

• Running Time: 3:19
    • Record Date: July 2, 1968
    • Record Location: Chappell Studios, London
    • Written By: Sergio Endrigo (music) & Bill Owen (English lyrics)
    • Arranged By: Mike Leander
    • Produced By: Norrie Paramor
    • Engineered By: Peter Vince
    • Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Mike Leander (orchestra conductor), The Mike Leander Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)

Anthony Holland, RonBaker and mark ab like this.
  6. Jarleboy

The B-side of "MARIANNE" was not featured on the "RARE B-SIDES" compilations - for a very good reason. It had already been released as a bonus track on the "ESTABLISHED 1958" remaster. If you haven´t heard that album, you should seek it out. It´s one of the more enjoyable Cliff albums from this period, and there´s a lot of humour from both Cliff and The Shadows on it. The opening track is one of his best singles from this period, I think, but kept off both "BEST OF CLIFF" Vols. 1 and 2. (Most likely because it was an album track.)

"MR NICE" is hardly the strongest Cliff B-side of all time. It´s pleasant, I suppose, but there´s not that much of interest in the song. Strange, then, that this was - as far as I know - Terry Britten´s first writing credit on a Cliff single or album. Better things were to come - much better.

Robert Porter:
    September 1968: Cliff's 43rd single is released-- Marianne/Mr. Nice."

• Running Time: 2:13
    • Record Date: July 1, 1968
    • Record Location: Abbey Road, London
    • Written By: Terry Britten
    • Arranged By: Mike Leander
    • Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Mike Leander (orchestra conductor), The Mike Leander Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)

Anthony Holland, RonBaker and mark ab like this.
  7. mark ab

mark ab Well-Known Member

Good to hear the shows are going well.

8. Jarleboy

Thank you for thinking of us! It´s been fun! :wave:

9. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I like both sides of the single. "Marianne" is a lovely little ballad. "Mr. Nice" has a good tune and a catchy refrain. The brass tends to make it sound more of a throwaway recording. I was pleasantly surprised by it when I got the record because I didn't expect it to be any good at all.

Jarleboy, Anthony Holland and mark ab like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Agree about the A-side. It´s lovely. Not, perhaps, what you expect to hear on a single, but I do understand why Cliff liked it, and he sings it so well. Almost understated, and it fits the song.

I hadn´t thought about the arrangement of "MR NICE". It may be the brass I don´t like about the song - it´s pleasant, but something about the recording left me dissastisfied. I still think it´s an "undercooked" song - nice, catchy melody, but not that memeorable, imo, and with lyrics that would fit on a children´s song. But, as you say, catchy enough.

mark ab and Anthony Holland like this.
  11. Phil_Rocks

Phil_Rocks Member

Juts heard in an interview with Cliff that his next album will be possibly be an album of original songs, something to look forward to, i really thought that ship had sailed.

12. Anthony Holland

Anthony Holland Forum Resident

I really, really, really hope so!

When In Rome, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  13. mark ab

mark ab Well-Known Member

Me too!

14. Jarleboy

This is the best - and most unexpected - Cliff-related news I´ve heard in ages! (Well, since The Piano Guys single.) Like you, I never thought this would come to pass. Thank you for once again being the bearer of good tidings, Phil! Let´s hope it resembles "SOMETHING´S GOIN´ ON" instead of "WANTED".

15. StephenB

It would be great if this was the case! Fingers crossed it is true.

16. Jarleboy

Absolutely. The first one since 2004... :righton:

17. StephenB

Don't forget Soulicious was mainly new songs....

Jarleboy, Anthony Holland and mark ab like this.
  18. Jarleboy

True. :) I tend not to remember that album very well, and I did forget it now. I really should listen to it again. As I said, I loved the DVD of it.

19. Anthony Holland

Anthony Holland Forum Resident

Some very contemporary songs on 'Soulicious', such as DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME, but I do think Percy Sledge was wasted on a cover of I'M YOUR PUPPET. I expect we will get to 'Soulicious' for further discussion in due course. I'd start with renaming the album, and giving it a different front cover.

When In Rome, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  20. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Well-Known Member

A bit off topic, but one of the videos I filmed from last night.
    Apologies for the quality!
    There is two others I took also, which should be there somewhere.

mark ab, When In Rome and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Jarleboy

The title was supposed to be flippant and funny, but it comes across as very childish and silly. So, yes, change the title and make the cover less like a budget petrol station release from the 90s...

22. Jarleboy

Thanks for posting that, Tim. A new track performed live - I hadn´t expected to see and hear that in 2017. Things are looking up!

23. Jarleboy

I know I make seemingly arbitrary decisions about what to include and not include in this thread, but when covering the singles on "BEST OF CLIFF, VOL. 2", I found it necessary to cover a single that was not included on the compilation. "DON´T FORGET TO CATCH ME" is a lovely jazzy/easy listening kind of a ballad. It followed "MARIANNE", and reached a similar chart placing - No. 21 in the UK, one place above "MARIANNE". (It also made No. 47 in the Australian charts.) Written by the trio of Bruce Welch, Hank Marvin and Brian Bennett, this is - at least, to me - a strong entry in Cliff´s catalogue of singles. Too bad the first critic quoted below didn´t agree with me. I discovered this song quite late in my time as a Cliff fan, and judged from the late 90s, I found it to be a very pleasant and relaxing song. Again, out of step with what the public wanted from him, but I think it´s a great song.

Robert Porter:
    "...There was a Columbia demo for trade purposes pressed of the track Don't Forget To Catch Me taken from the [Established 1958] album and given a PSR 316 number. [...] November 16, 1968: Cliff's 44th single Don't Forget To Catch Me is released and reviewed by journalist Penny Valentine: 'Presumably because he's celebrating his tenth anniversary in pop-- though I hardly find this a good enough excuse-- they have issued this track from Cliff's LP Established 1958. I find it a bit pointless and sad. Lately, Cliff surprised me by coming up with some quite good records-- Marianne being one of the best-- and it's a shame that this is reverting back to the corny, boring stuff of years gone by. A waste of time, talent and people's ears.' Reviewer Derek Johnson goes into print with nothing but praise for Cliff's new single: 'I've got a feeling that this could give him his highest chart place since Congratulations.'"
    "Released in November 1968 the [Don't Forget To Catch Me] single entered the UK charts on 27 June 1968 and reached #21 during a 10 week spell on the chart."
    Peter Lewry and Nigel Goodall (March 2007 - liner notes for Established 1958 Remaster CD)

• Running Time: 2:46
    • Record Date: May 31, 1968
    • Written By: Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch & Brian Bennett
    • Arranged By: Norrie Paramor
    • Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Hank Marvin (guitar), Bruce Welch (guitar), John Rostill (bass), Brian Bennett (drums), Norrie Paramor Orchestra (orchestra), Norrie Paramor (orchestra conductor)

mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  24. Jarleboy

One of the great things about the "DON´T FORGET TO CATCH ME" single was its B-side. Cliff was interested in singer-songwriters like Tim Hardin and others around this time, and this track bears a striking similarity to those kinds of songs. "WHAT´S MORE (I DON´T NEED HER)" was one of those great ballads he used to put on single B-sides. Another Fletcher/Flett co-write, it´s one of their more reflective efforts, and I enjoy it very much. In fact, speaking of double A-sides... For me, this could easily have been one. Both sides are perhaps less than innovative, but they are both quality song, in my very humble opinion.

Robert Porter:
    • Running Time: 2:33
    • Record Date: March 8, 1968
    • Written By: Guy Fletcher & Doug Flett
    • Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), The Breakaways (backing vocals), other artists and instruments unknown

25. Jarleboy

The next forgotten gem of a single was "THE JOY OF LIVING", released in early 1970, and written by Hank Marvin with the Paul Ferris, who wrote the 1967 hit "VISIONS" for Cliff. The lyrics are similar to what Joni Mitchell talked about in the lyrics to her hit "BIG YELLOW TAXI", and is another Hank Marvin song dealing with environmental issues. "THE JOY OF LIVING" is a joyful song with gospel overtones, in it´s much livelier than most of his singles during this period. Needless to say, I love it. It was released as a Cliff & Hank duet, and therefore doesn´t feature on the "SINGLES COLLECTION" box set from 2002.

The single was not a big success - it reached No. 25 in the UK charts, and peaked at No. 71 in Australia. Too bad.

Robert Porter:
    "Hank Marvin's written but, y'know... Funnily enough, of the two or three that I really like of my own recordings, they all tend to be his, like Throw Down A Line, Joy Of Living [sic], and Silvery Rain. [...] You see, I like Joy Of Living [sic] very much. As a production I thought it was a really fine production. And, I mean I'd like to sing that a lot more on stage. But then it wasn't a very big hit, so I'm wasting a slot."
    Cliff Richard (1974 - The Music And Life Of Cliff Richard collection)
    "Marvin's written but, y'know... Funnily enough, of the two or three that I really like of my own recordings, they all tend to be his, like Throw Down A Line, Joy Of Living [sic], and Silvery Rain."
    Cliff Richard (August 1980 - The Cliff Richard Special on 2HCR FM in Australia)
    "February 7, 1970: Cliff's 49th single, The Joy Of Living (with Hank Marvin) [is released and it] also features Hank's Boogatoo and Cliff's solo, Leave My Woman Alone. The single is a cynical look at the modern age, where Britain is in danger of being turned into one huge motorway."
    "Released in February 1970 The Joy Of Living entered the UK charts on 21 February 1970 and reached #25 during an 8 week spell on the chart."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (July 2004 - liner notes for Tracks 'N Grooves remaster album)
    "After Throw Down a Line came The Joy of Living, a snipe at postwar town planning, of all things."
    Bob Stanley (September 17, 2009 - The Guardian)
    "With another single, again credited to Cliff and Hank, The Joy Of Living, released four months after the [Sincerely] album, [it appears] for the first time since the eighteen two-discs-in-one collection of original albums [were] released in 1992. Released in February 1970 The Joy Of Living entered the UK charts on 21 February 1970 and reached #25 during an 8 week spell on the chart."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (July 2004 - liner notes for Sincerely remaster album)

• Running Time: 3:04
    • Record Date: January 7, 1970
    • Record Location: Advision, London
    • Written By: Hank Marvin & Paul Ferris
    • Arranged By: Mike Vickers
    • Engineered By: Unknown
    • Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Hank Marvin (backing vocals, guitar), Mike Vickers (orchestra conductor), The Mike Vickers Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)