Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

The first track is the joyous "I COULD EASILY FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU". (For my money, the best version is the one performed on the "FROM A DISTANCE"live album. A lovely song, and a nice version. You don´t immediately start thinking about sheltered accommodation for the band members... Just kidding. It´s a sprightly recording. (Even though they didn´t record the songs together as a band.)

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 3:03
    Record Date: 2009
    Record Location: Middle Ear Studios, Miami, Florida (Cliff vocals), Nivram Studios, Perth, Australia (Hank guitar, vocals), Honeyhill Studios, Hertfordshire (everything else)
    Written By: Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Brian Bennett & John Rostill
    Arranged By: Brian Bennett (strings), Warren Bennett (strings and saxophone) and Kevin Townsend (strings)
    Produced By: Unknown
    Engineered By: Ethan Carlson (Cliff's vocals), Les Williams (Hank's guitar and vocals), James Collins (everything else), Keith Bessey (final mix)
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals, backing vocals), Hank Marvin (guitar, backing vocals), Bruce Welch (guitar, backing vocals), Brian Bennett (drums), Mark Griffiths (bass, harmonica), Warren Bennett (keyboards), Perry Montague-Mason (violin), Warren Zeilinski (violin), Bogustan Kostecki (violin), Chris Tombling (violin), Emlyn Singleton (violin), Mark Berrow (violin), Dave Daniels (cello), Martin Loveday (cello), Dave Bishop (saxophone), Philip D.Todd (saxophone), Jamie Talbot (saxophone), Nunzio Mondia (accordion)

mark ab likes this.
  2. Jarleboy

And even closer to parody; "THE YOUNG ONES". They must have had a glint in their eyes when they recorded this. Or several glints... You can hear the age on this one, and that may be the point.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 3:12
    Record Location: Middle Ear Studios, Miami, Florida (Cliff vocals), Nivram Studios, Perth, Australia (Hank guitar, vocals), Honeyhill Studios, Hertfordshire (everything else)
    Written By: Sid Tepper & Roy C. Bennett
    Arranged By: Brian Bennett (strings), Warren Bennett (strings and saxophone) and Kevin Townsend (strings)
    Engineered By: Ethan Carlson (Cliff's vocals), Les Williams (Hank's guitar and vocals), James Collins (everything else), Keith Bessey (final mix)
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals, backing vocals), Hank Marvin (guitar, backing vocals), Bruce Welch (guitar, backing vocals), Brian Bennett (drums), Mark Griffiths (bass, harmonica), Warren Bennett (keyboards), Perry Montague-Mason (violin), Warren Zeilinski (violin), Bogustan Kostecki (violin), Chris Tombling (violin), Emlyn Singleton (violin), Mark Berrow (violin), Dave Daniels (cello), Martin Loveday (cello), Dave Bishop (saxophone), Philip D.Todd (saxophone), Jamie Talbot (saxophone), Nunzio Mondia (accordion)

mark ab likes this.
  3. Jarleboy

Oh, gee... "MOVE IT!". I have heard very few bad versions of it, though the 1967 version comes close. This one is great. It includes the new verse written by Ian Samwell. Hmm... This version was better than I remembered it.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:52
    Written By: Ian Ralph Samwell

mark ab likes this.
  4. Jarleboy

"LIVING DOLL"... Cliff´s voice sounds old on this, and the version is pedestrian at best. Does the world really need another version of this song, especially after the "definitive" 1986 recording? ("What does this button do?")

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:42
    Written By: Lionel Bart

mark ab likes this.
  5. Jarleboy

The hits keep on coming. "BACHELOR BOY". Cute enough.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:08
    Written By: Cliff Richard & Bruce Welch

mark ab likes this.
  6. Jarleboy

"NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN" is one of my favourite Cliff rock´n´roll songs. I was unable to find the studio version on YouTube, but I found one from the 50th Anniversary tour. Still great.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:45
    Written By: Waldense Hall & Otis Blackwell

mark ab likes this.
  7. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Sadly, the problem, as you say is that you are invariably comparing the new version to the original, and you notice the vocal changes. Additionally, there is no 'spark' to the recordings, possibly due to none of them being in the same studio at the same time (and seemingly three separate continents apart - Did Bruce and Brian at least work together?)
    I would have preferred (if they felt they had to stay with oldies) perhaps a third of previously unreleased songs from their key (pre Beatles) era, a third reworking some of their 'hidden gems' and a third with re-workings of their main hits.

Tim Cooper, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Jarleboy

It seems we feel more or elss the same way about these recordings. Not bad, but it shows that they were recorded in different studios. The "live" feeling is misisng completely. And yes, the voices have changed.

I agree with your thoughts about the way to go concernig what songs to record. A few more lesser known songs would have helped. Some more songs from the Marvin, Welch & Farrar albums, perhaps? The "greatest hits" apporach is a lucrative one, but not very exciting. I mentioned above that I question whether we actually need another recording of "LIVING DOLL", and I would have preferred a few bolder choices. "TIME DRAGS BY" and "I´M THE LONELY ONE" (bonus track) are steps in the right direction, but quite a few of these slections make me go YAWN.

Another thing missing from the album is the chemistry that have always existed between Cliff and his Shadows. Their live shows are almost worth it for the jokes alone, so a nice novelty song would have been a good idea.

So, the album is good, for what it is. It´s just not what I had in mind when I ordered. :sigh:

Tim Cooper, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  9. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

The live DVD of the tour is a far superior representation of how they could do those songs. Although, if I never heard LIVING DOLL and BACHELOR BOY again, it'd still be too soon. Why not BLUE TURNS TO GREY and THROW DOWN A LINE instead?

Tim Cooper, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Jarleboy

I hvae the DVD - well, Blu-ray... - and I agree wholeheartedly. Light banter between the "boys", and rehearsed but fresh versions of the songs.

Exactly! Those two would liven up the set no end! But I guess they weren´t as big hits as the ones on the CD. AS IF THAT MATTERS...

Tim Cooper, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  11. Jarleboy

"C´MON EVERYBODY" was one of the seminal rock´n´roll tracks first written and recorded by Eddie Cochran. It was a No. 6 hit in the UK in 1958, while stoping at No. 35 in the US. A great song, and a welcome inclusion on this album.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:55
    Written By: Jerry Capehart & Eddie Cochran

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  12. Jarleboy

"TRAVELLIN´ LIGHT" was one of the first great songs recorded by Cliff, IMO. Released as a single in late 1959, then re-recorded as a chamber music piece in 1974... No matter how you slice it, I love that song.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:59
    Written By: Sid Tepper & Roy C. Bennett

NB! The studio version was nowhere to be find on YouTube, so here´s a lovely version from the 2009 tour.

13. Jarleboy

While searching for the videos containing the songs from this album, I came across this promo compilation that doe include snippets of all the songs, including "TRAVELLIN´ LIGHT".

14. Jarleboy

"IT´LL BE ME" was originally a Jerry Lee Lewis song that Cliff had a No. 2 hit with in 1962. He re-recorded it in 1983, and again in 2009. It´s one of his best rockers, IMO. The voice is older and not as strong, but it still works.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 1:57
    Written By: Jack Clement

15. Jarleboy

"IN THE COUNTRY" has remained one of Cliff´s classics from the mid-60s. This recording sounds almost as fresh as the original, but you do notice the changed voice. Still good, though.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:52
    Written By: Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, John Rostill & Brian Bennett

16. Jarleboy

"ON THE BEACH" is the best-remembered song from the 1964 film "WONDERFUL LIFE". This one also sounds very close to the original. Which begs the question... Why? Still, a great song.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:32
    Written By: Bruce Welch, Hank Marvin & Cliff Richard

17. Jarleboy

"THE NEXT TIME" was one of the best songs on the "SUMMER HOLIDAY" soundtrack. The arrangement is very close to the original, but Cliff´s over-breathy delivery and - once again - the overused vibrato kills it. Too bad, as it´s a lovely song.

NB! The Robert Porter website claims it was written by Bruce, Hank & Cliff. This is, of course, a mistake. It´s credited to Kaye/Springer.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:32
    Written By: Bruce Welch, Hank Marvin & Cliff Richard

18. Jarleboy

"PLESE DON´T TEASE" was a No. 1 single in 1960. Catchy. This new version sounds very close to the original. I now find that I prefer the 1978 B-side version.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:59
    Written By: Bruce Welch & Peter Chester

NB! This is the live version from "THE FINAL REUNION".

19. Jarleboy

"SEA CRUISE" was not recorded Cliff and The Shads back in their prime, but Cliff did perform it at "THE EVENT". Here´s their studio version.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 3:06
    Written By: John Vincent & Huey P. Smith

Another live version, I´m afraid.

20. Jarleboy

"WILLIE & AND THE HAND JIVE", originally a Johnny Otis original, like so many of Cliff´s early songs, was the B-side of "FALL IN LOVE WTH YOU". Two version from 1959 exist, and he recorded a modernised version of it in 1984, for the "THE ROCK CONNECTION" album. (I love that version.) It has also been a staple of his live shows.

The 2009 version is closer to the live version than the studio version. Great song.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:43
    Written By: Johnny Otis

21. Jarleboy

One of the "career songs" of Cliff next: "SUMMER HOLIDAY". I love it, but I´ve heard a few times too many by now.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:21
    Written By: Bruce Welch & Brian Bennett

This a sampler. "SUMMER HOLIDAY" is in there. :righton:

22. Jarleboy

Cliff & The Shadows´ cover of Bobby Freeman´s "DO YOU WANT TO DANCE" was a huge success, and who now remembers that it was just a B-side? Cliff never gets tired of telling how Bobby Freeman singled out Cliff´s cover as his favourite. Very understandable.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 3:10
    Written By: Bobby Freeman

23. Jarleboy

"DON´T TALK TO HIM" was another huge hit near the end of 1963. The 2009 sounds a bit slower than the original, and Cliff´s voice is weaker tha it used to be. Technically, it´s probably a better performance, but it sound sless fresh than the original.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 3:04
    Written By: Cliff Richard & Bruce Welch

24. Jarleboy

"TIME DRAGS BY" is one my favourite Cliff tracks. It´s from the 1966 film "FINDERS KEEPERS". Still sounds good.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:37
    Written By: Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Brian Bennett & John Rostill

NB! Another live version from the 2009 tour.

25. Jarleboy

"GEE WHIZ, IT´S YOU" was an album track from the 1960 album "ME AND MY SHADOWS" - a great album, and this was one of the highlights. Belatedly released as a single, it reached No. 4. The 2009 version sounds a lot like the original. Not bad.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 2:16
    Written By: Hank Marvin & Ian Ralph Samwell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.