Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Exactly! If they had focused on the more "modern" tracks - Well, speak of a relative term in this connection! Let me start again: Had they focused on tracks recorded during the last 42 years - I include 1975, for one or two reasons - this could be the foundation for a great compilation. The tracks from that period are surprisingly interesting - some singles, some great deep cuts.

Imagine them adding the likes of "GIVE ME LOVE YOUR WAY", "YOU´VE GOT ME WONDERING", "BULANGE DOWNPOUR", "BE IN MY HEART", "UP IN THE WORLD", "JOSEPH" and the likes... A solid gold compilation.

Just one more comment: I wish that they would stay within the remit - if songs are supposed to deal with reflections of love, life and more, why not include some songs that delve little bit further, or even provokes a little bit. "QUESTIONS" and - Sorry, Stephen! :shh: - "I´LL LOVE YOU FOREVER TODAY" from "TWO A PENNY", ""WINNING" from "TAKE ME HIGH", political musings as found on "SILVERY RAIN" and "UNDER THE INFLUENCE". I mean, 99% of Cliff´s lyrics deal with romantic love. Nothing wrong about that, but there are other subjects. And if the compilation is given a pseudo-philosophical theme, they should pay heed to that in their song selection. It could be argued that every song lyric contains elements of reflections, and that would be right. But don´t try to convince me that "PLEASE DON´T TEASE" is a song that promotes deep contemplation!

Wonder what a 2010 remaster of "MISS YOU NIGHTS" sounds like? At least it´s not the electro remix made for the "THE WHOLE STORY" compilation... Thank... someone.

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  2. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Fully agree with everything here! I very nearly put 1973 for a start date, to get tracks like MIDNIGHT BLUE and something from '31st February Street', but stuck with the conventional wisdom that Cliff's 'modern' phase began in 1976. Goodness - is it really that many years ago! Ha ha...

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  3. CheshireCat

Will it be a hit? I'm not inspired by the advert...

I expect it'll only be shown on daytime TV, no peak viewing slots. But who knows...
    My main lack of enthusiasm though, is that there's no pressing reason for fans to buy it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. Chris Lane

Chris Lane Forum Resident

Just a note to say it has a unique edit on it. Therefore I'm very glad I brought it.

Jarleboy, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  5. CheshireCat

I shall see if I can spot it when I play it through!

6. Jarleboy

You´re right - there were seeveral signs that things were changing as early as 1972 - it can arguably be said that "A BRAND NEW SONG" marked a somewhat new direction for Cliff. The double whammy of "TAKE ME HIGH" and "THE 31ST OF FEBRUARY STREET" were certainly a move in an interesting direction. So... Why not? Both albums had very intersting tracks.

Oh yes, it´s THAT many years ago. Good thing we never got any older... :righton:

7. Jarleboy

OK... It doesn´t really highlight - make that mention - any of the lesser known tracks. People will think: "Another "GREATEST HITS". Just what we DON´T need." No matter how great "WE DON´T TALK ANYMORE", "CARRIE" and "THE YOUNG ONES" are - how many copies do you need?

This album is all about the flow and whether it works. I guess this album won´t sell much. Sadly.

8. Jarleboy

Intriguing! I can´t wait to get it and play the familiar songs and find the edit! Even though another round of listening to "SUMMER HOLIDAY" and "PLEASE DON´T TEASE" doesn´t tempt me that much.

(NB! I know I sound much too negative about this - I don´t dislike any of the songs, but I have heard them a few times too many.)

9. Jarleboy

You and me both!

10. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

And me!

mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  11. Chris Lane

Ha! I did a check via the timings as I went through them and listed them in iTunes and I did ASSUME there was an edit. But listening to all the tracks and found I was wrong ....
    This will teach me to not get too excited before checking the facts.

I'm off to hang my head in shame.

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  12. Jarleboy

Please don ´t. You got us all excited there for a moment! :agree:

Chris Lane, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  13. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Well I was getting exited about it also, and likewise wasn't looking forward to having to listen to certain tracks again.
    Very pleased it hasn't got that awlfull version of " Miss You Nights", and agree, terrible cover and not very good tv ad.
    Only good thing from my point of view is Sleeve notes written by someone who knows what he is talking about.

Don't worry Chris, it did get us on our toes, and you have discovered quite a lot of different versions of Cliff tracks.

14. Chris Lane

There is nothing new on the album as far I can tell. So it's just another one for the "I've got all these tracks already / That was just a waste of money" pile in the corner of the Music Room that won't get physically played again unless the iTunes dies!

15. Tim Cooper

Well I have always been interested in Cliff's management team, just as I was always interested on all the people involved with his recordings.

In the program of this summers tour, it list under "The Cliff Richard Organisation", Tania Hogan, Malcolm Smith & Margaret Webb. (There is a Cliff fan called Margaret Webb, same name, different person, she got name checked by Cliff in a very old Cliff documentary).

Malcolm, as far as I,m aware, like it says in the article is the business/finance manager.
    Tania is a secretary and no idea about Margaret!
    Never heard of Phil Hall, but think they have different pr people in for different projects etc.

But I'm still very curious who actually looks after the day to day running, such as future tours etc. I guess that years ago Cliff would have been completely in his managements hands, and going and doing as he's told, so to speak, 11 months of the year with most of August off.
    But not sure who does all the organising and planning now. Tours I guess are booked well over one year in advance, so someone must be forward planning things.
    Like the article says, John the priest looks after his properties, which some are being downsized.
    The Barbados pad is up for sale, as he has bought, or buying an apartment there somewhere.
    The Portugal house is now up for sale, not sure where he is going there.
    The cottage he had in Wales he gave to his sister, who apparently sold it.
    The apartment where the Police did their filmed raid has been sold.
    I do wonder where Cliff stays in Uk now, unless he has another property somewhere.

Another name, Silas Freeman, is Cliffs pa. Not sure if he is employed full time or just when Cliff does tours and public events. I have seen him during a tour, and also seen fan film footage of him, with Cliff.

It's nice also seeing in the program, some familiar names in the production team, that have been with Cliff for years.
    Roger Searle, tour production manager, Derek Jones, lighting and set designer and of course John JJ James, Cliffs stage sound engineer.
    John has been doing tours with Cliff since the late 70s I think, so that's nearly 40 years of working for Cliff.

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Wouldn't consider myself a big fan but I like loads of his singles. When are these wilderness years? Love some of the post "Congratulations" singles -- "Big Ship" "Good Times" "Power To All Our Friends" and "Goodbye Same Hello Samantha". He certainly had a great run of singles from 1976 culminating with "Wired For Sound".

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  17. Chris Lane

While I agree about the Small Corners album...
    Unlike Mark, I have the full catalogue to listen to. I'm not a full Christian, but neither an atheist. Just believe there is a God.

I find that the early catalogue is quite ear strained, I'm talking about the 1967 album "Good News" and some of the EP "Carol Singers".

Yet "Two A Penny" was a great change of direction. "I'll Love You Forever Today" is a great track co written by Cliff.

"His Land/About That Man" has some great tracks too.

"Abraham, Martin And John" from Tracks 'N Grooves is very upbeat!

Help It Along album is all good apart from "Amazing Grace" which always get skipped on the playlist. Highlights being "Jesus Loves You" & "Yesterday, Today, Forever" both written by Cliff.

After the "Small Corners" highlight, is the brilliant "Now You See Me" album. For me the single "Little Town" and the two tracks on the B side are brilliant.

While I do enjoy the Christian music, the rockier ones are my favourites.

18. Tim Cooper

Forgot to mention his apartment he has in USA, and his sister did/or still has a nice pad right by the sea somewhere in Portugal, which she lets out, saw the info on it once, looked very luxurious!
    Also, his Mother had a place in Wales, by the sea, on a street which the locals named "Millionaires Row"!

Sounds like I'm a bit of a stalker reading all this, hope it's not too much off topic.

19. CheshireCat

I wouldn't worry Tim. It's very poor quality stalking. An apartment in the USA - quite a large area it could be in, Somewhere in Portugal, again quite vague, and even a place in Wales by the sea doesn't really narrow things down sufficiently to be considered a stalker! ;)

It does seem though, that Cliff seems to have most of his properties on the market, or sold. Practically homeless, the poor chap! ;)

Jarleboy, Tim Cooper and mark ab like this.
  20. Jarleboy

Yeah, let´s all feel sorry for the poor little rich guy! :whistle:

He, he. Seriously, I don´t envy Cliff for the last few years. They must have been tough, and I can easily understand why he wants to shake things ´round a little bit. And, even more seriously, it´s about time to think about his old age. He did turn 77 recently, so I want his last days to be plentiful and peaceful.

CheshireCat, Tim Cooper and mark ab like this.
  21. CheshireCat

The official chart update - for sales over the weekend, and that will also include all the pre-sales, places STRONGER THRU THE YEARS at number 13. I'd expect it to drop significantly by the end of the week for the 'real' chart placing when all the week's streaming will send a predominantly sales orientated act down the chart. Might scrape into the top 20. Which I dare say wouldn't be too bad for a fairly 'pointless' release.

Tim Cooper, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  22. Jarleboy

You do surprise me. Pointless it may be for us, but if one fan discovers a hidden treasure through this compilation, I´ll be grateful.

Having said that... I think all those sales are to us old faithfuls. Sadly.

Tim Cooper, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  23. CheshireCat

I have at least seen the advertisement for the CD on prime-time TV now. I'm disappointed that there's not one single clip of anything other than the hits. All of which were on 75 AT 75 two years ago. People would watch it and think, 'just another hits compilation'. Or they may pick it up in the supermarket and look to find a more interesting track listing.

Tim Cooper, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Jarleboy

In other words, not really precise marketing. Too bad. I wish they would put us in here in charge of his archival releases. I have a suggestion for a name: "A MISUNDERSTOOD MAN?".

Tim Cooper and mark ab like this.
  25. Jarleboy

I got "STRONGER THRU THE YEARS" in the post today, and I am currently listening to Disc 1. First of all, I know these aren´t new remasters, but the songs sound great. ("MISS YOU NIGHTS" had a lot more low end and punch than I am used to. Yes - punch in a ballad!) For some reason, the songs sound quite a bit better than the ones found on "75 AT 75". I may be fooling myself, of course, as Cliff sang in 1971, but the songs sound better to my ears. Wishful thinking, I guess.

The second point: The sequencing works better than I thought it would. Who´d a-thunk it? I´m not saying I applaud the use of 60s songs, but the flow is better than I expected.

But that cover shot... Cliff looks more orange and unnatural than Robert Kilroy-Silk. And that´s saying something.

So, all thing considered, this is a superfluous compilation. But it works. IMO, of course.

Edit: O.K., so "LIVING DOLL" still seems out of place. Big time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.