Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Thank you for that information. Since I don´t live in a place where Billy Fury was in any way big, I don´t have any other information about his stature compared to other "rockers" other than what I read in books and online. I know he was big in the UK and had a comeback before he died way too early, and I know his legacy has grown in terms of respect and admiration after his death. From what I have gathered, he was a more "pure" rock´n´roller than Cliff turned out to be, and less interested in keeping up with the trends in pop music. Cliff´s eyes have always been firmly set on the charts, and there´s nothing wrong with that, but sometimes the music can suffer from it. Too easy choices, too many bland singles. There have been a few, but I tend to like those as well... :wave:

2. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I wouldn't say Billy Fury was any more 'rock n roll' than Cliff, his singles, after the first half dozen or so tended to be highly orchestrated ballads, like HALFWAY TO PARADISE and IT'S ONLY MAKE BELIEVE. A similar formula to Cliff. His 'B' sides tended to be more adventurous.

Jarleboy, When In Rome and mark ab like this.
  3. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Billy Fury's 10 inch album was self-composed and is a great rocker...his reputation as a rocker came from that, I believe. It's called "The Sound of Fury" and has been reissued on vinyl and CD and should be easy to find.

4. CheshireCat

I agree, however beyond that one self penned album (half under a pseudonym because it apparently looked bad if you'd written it all yourself!) it was pretty much big orchestration and ballads all the way through the 60s. Some great tracks mind, like RUN TO MY LOVING ARMS, I WILL, SUZANNE IN THE MIRROR, SILLY BOY BLUE. To my mind, he got better as the decade developed, perhaps 1964 onwards. A couple of dud singles in the very late 60s (PHONE BOX and WHY ARE YOU LEAVING) but other than that a very strong and creditable run.

5. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I've got the double CD of 'Sound of Fury ' (2000?) with a stereo version (more or less) of the album on disc 2, love a particular B side that was included on that collection called 'Open Your Arms', my Dad had it on a crackly 45 and that together with 'A Voice in the Wilderness' by erm... I can't remember the artist now ( :D )were two I played on my little '80's hi-fi quite a lot back in my younger days...

6. Jarleboy

I see I need to get better acquainted with mr. Fury´s work. I have liked every recording I have heard of his, so I don´t know why I haven´t started buying his things before now. Right, now, open my purse and reach for the mouse... :righton:

CheshireCat, When In Rome and mark ab like this.
  7. CheshireCat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/40th-Anniv...id=1520885149&sr=8-1&keywords=billy+fury+40th This would be the one I'd recommend. Pretty much all you need, although the Parlophone Years CD is also worthwhile.

Jarleboy, When In Rome and mark ab like this.
  8. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I also like the re-recorded versions he did for K-Tel. His early hits sounding great. His voice was always great.

9. CheshireCat

It was, right to the final album released in 1983. Such a shame that he was not well enough to still be with us. I understand though, that he pretty much lived life to the full, as if every day could be the last, with the fast cars and stuff. Also loved his farm in Wales looking after all the animals and birds. Whenever in Liverpool, I always visit his statue on the waterfront.

10. Jarleboy

When In Rome, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  11. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I plan on visiting his grave in London and taking a train to Liverpool this June.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That's also the cover of the oiginal WG CD. Hideous cover.

13. CheshireCat

I've just found this by Colin Blunstone (Zombies), a 1978 version of 'NEVER EVEN THOUGHT'

alexpop, Chris Lane, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  14. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Love Colin/the Zombies/Argent/Alan Parsons Project...everything the man is involved with is magic!

15. Jarleboy

That is a great song! Every version of it just confrims this. I still prefer the original by Murray Head, but I like them all. It allows the singers to show off their veratility - breathy, almost whispering at times, then strong. One of my many favourite Cliff songs. (And don´t miss out the 1992 remix. Some of you don´t like it - it´s more electronic in terms of the arrangement, but a HUGE improvement on the electronic "MISS YOU NIGHTS" remix. (Sorry - didn´t mean to remind you of that misfire.)

And whole you´re at it, do check out Murray Head´s solo albums. I tended to think of him as the voice behind "SUPERSTAR" and "ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK", two very different but great one-off singles, but I was impressed when I delved into his solo material.

If you trust nothing else I write, please do check out his albums. I´d recommend starting with his 1975 album "SAY IT ISN´T SO", which includes his original version of "NEVER EVEN THOUGHT". And that is just one of the highlights. I would advise you to to be wary of his "GREATEST HITS" album - it includes a vastly inferior remake of the hit "ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK".

CheshireCat, mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  16. Jarleboy

I agree! Love him in all of those incarnations. He is one of the most underrated singers, I think. I have heard songs of his that weren´t great. but his vocals are always spot on. And he has made some very astute choices. Better than poor Cliff, IMO. He may not have made as many hits, but the quality has always been there. He wouldn´t record "MORE TO LIFE", I don´t think. (Sorry, I know some of you like that song. I don´t hate it with the fervour I used to, but for me it´s the epitome of bland.)

And while I´m on here: Sorry for not having updated the thread. I´ll be back as soon as this vicious virus leaves me. We´re at a crucial stage in Cliff´s career. Is this the stage at which he "sold out"? I don´t think so. Yes, he did go for the all-round entertainer market, but who didn´t back then? I may not love the song as much as many of you do, but I feel they just diversified their style. Nothing wrong with that.

So, here´s hoping "LIVING DOLL" will get the treatment soon. A much-øloved song, and one of his biggest hits.

17. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Well, I did BUY "More to Life", but I bought it because I buy every Cliff release (except for compilations...and I've been known to buy way too many of those as well). It's not great...it's not even very good...but it is Cliff.

18. Jarleboy

Well put. It is Cliff. The warmth of that voice is still on there, and his phrasings are not bad... It´s just a non-entity as a song. These days I wouldn´t get up and skip the song on a compilation - it´s bland, but it doesn´t hurt my ears anymore. I guess I´m getting a bit more tolerant as I get older.

And remember, the man who wrote it, was the man who wanted to ban Frankie Goes to Hollywood´s "Relax". It´s not the best song ever written, but I dislike the temdency to want to ban songs you don´t approve of.

And, like you, I buy just about everything that contains an obscure or previously unavailable Cliff song, even remixes or remakes. I´m even trying to get hold of the Japanese version of the Olivia album that contain their duet version of "LET IT BE ME", even though the song is possibly the worst version of a great song ever recorded by Cliff. I guess it´s a kind of madness. And not just "March madness".

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  19. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

MORE TO LIFE holds great memories of first love for me so will always have a special place in my heart, even if it is not the greatest of songs. It reminds me of adolescent innocence and naiveity o_O

Talking of obscure releases with Cliff connections, one of my favourite ones is This Love with Tammy Wynette, check it out if you haven’t heard it before. Oh, and I COULD BE PERSUADED with the Bellamy Brothers is just superb.

Looking forward, also, to the Lamont Dozier album that will feature Cliff on two acoustic versions of THIS OLD HEART OF MINE and another’s song, can’t remember off hand which one now though. I think this is due to be released in May or June this year.

20. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I have the Tammy Wynette duet with Cliff. It should have been a single! Great performances by both on a really good song. I will try to find the Bellamy Brothers record.

21. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

You can find it on YouTube, here:

22. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Agree, great song.
    One of my all time favs of Cliff's too, also don't like the remix version too much.

mark ab, Jarleboy and CheshireCat like this.
  23. Tim Cooper

I quite like this song, a catchy pop song.
    I've got a bit of a soft spot for the writer.
    Yes he did try to ban "Relax", but he seems to have had quite a bit of bad luck with shows he's written and recorded never making it.
    Also he has being bankrupt, with a lot of his record collection being sold off at auction, including some Cliff rarities.
    I wish I went to the auction to see what was there.

24. Tim Cooper

Agree, "This Love" a great song.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I always liked cliff. Saw him in the eighties with mum. Good show.
    What's the best compile of the seventies and eighties era in cd guys please? ... it seems you'd all know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.