Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Not the newer ones because the sound quality absolutely sucks.

mark ab, Jarleboy and CheshireCat like this.
  2. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I used to think the writer of the song was OK, and enjoyed his 'Cliff' musical, but then more recently I found out about his political views, so went off him. Not to the extent of burning MORE TO LIFE though...

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  3. CheshireCat

I suppose 'Private Collection' from 1988 is still the best representation of the '80s. There really should be a compilation which covers 1975-1995, his most successful era, but there isn't to my limited knowledge.

mark ab, Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

that's a shame. cheers mate

CheshireCat, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  5. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Yes, same with me. Mike Read seems harmless enough, but I do find his political views a bit... strange. Not for me. But Cliff seems to like him, and his political views aren´t generally all that progressive, either. Not a problem - I like his voice, and I do think he´s a genuinely nice guy, but that isn´t why I listen to his music. His voice does it for me.

Burning "MORE TO LIFE"... Tempting, but it´s not that bad. (I would not have written this in 1991...)

RonBaker, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  6. Jarleboy

There´s also an Italian compilation called "SOME PEOPLE". You can find it on Discogs for less than £5. It includes a good selection of songs from 1975 to 1987. It´s a bit of an oddity in terms of track selection, but I like it. I haven´t heard the actual CD yet, just glanced at the sequencing of the tracks. It was released in 1989, so the sound quality should be better than the newer ones. I´ll report back when I get the actual CD.

And I agree with Anthony - there really should be a compilation covering his 1975-1995 resurgence. We should make one! (Let´s not fall out over the track selection... I would insist on "DRIFTING", some of you would demand for "MORE TO LIFE" or "TWO TO THE POWER" to be included... It doesn´t bear thinking of. :sigh:)

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

lol that sounds cool, cheers mate

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  8. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Against the Grain – double CD | Garth's website | Garth Hewitt

Hi All,

Big apologies if I'm going off topic here.
    But for the completest, a new cd from Garth with connections to Cliff.
    I would have posted this in the yahoo Clifftech list, but can't get into it so wondering if it's still active.
    One track by Garth, "Red Hot n Cookin" is on it.
    If you look at Roberts Porters website, "Cliff Richard Songs" it states that it is rumoured that Cliff does bvs on this track.
    I have always been convinced that it is Cliff doing bvs on this track, it just sounds like his voice.
    On hearing about this release I contacted Garth's web site about this track and asked if Cliff was on it.
    I got a reply from Garth's secretary saying that "Garth is pretty certain that Cliff did not sing backing vocals on this track".
    So I guess that is it from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    However, personally I still think it is Cliff on it. Has anyone got the record and has an opinion on it?

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  9. Jarleboy

First of all: No need to apoligise, Tim! This is just the kind of thing we need on this thread - alluring rumours and facts and speculations about Cliff´s involvement in recordings made by other artists. I have learned so much about Cliff that I would never have found out anywhere else. These kinds of questions are just incredibly intersting.

And speaking of Garth: I have mentioned many times that I am an atheist, and likely to remain so for the rest of my life. Some Christian artists have amassed a large catalogue of strong material. Cliff used a lot of them on his "SMALL CORNERS" album, and since then he has collaborated several times with Gart Hewitt. Had he been a secular artist, I believe he wouldbe spoken about with as much reverence as Van Morrison, Leonard Cohen, Paul Simon, Janis Ian and many others. He´s that good.

And to everyone who hasn´t visited his website: Take a look. You can even order CD copies of albums that have never seen official releases on that format. (And no, these are not bootlegs.) For instance, you should check out his album "DID HE FALL... OR WAS HE PUSHED", which was produced and featured backing vocals by Cliff. There is also the album "UNDER THE INFLUENCE", which featured the original version of Cliff´s 1982 B-side of the same name.

This is an artist that many have discovered - but even more should make a note of his name.

I only hope that there will be a CD release of his single "COME OUT FIGHTING/I CAN HEAR LOVE" single.

CheshireCat, RonBaker and mark ab like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Sorry for my extended absence - I´m itching to write, but I´m still not quite well. Hoping to be back soon.

I just had to write to alert you all to the death of Cliff collaborator Stuart Colman. They didn´t do a lot together, but what he dis was good. Here´s his Wikipedia entry:

Stuart Colman - Wikipedia

CheshireCat, mark ab and RonBaker like this.
  11. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Hope you're feeling better soon !

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Jarleboy

You and me both, friend! :righton:

John Adam, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  13. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Just going through my Cliff Richard collection.
    I own the following:

40 Golden Greats 2xCD
    Private Collection 1979-1988 CD
    The Cliff Richard Collection 1976-1994 CD (Razor & Tie)
    1960s, 1970s, 1980s 3xCD (EMI Gold) - purchased primarily for La Mer and No One Waits
    The Hits In Between CD
    The Singles Collection 6xCD
    And They Said It Wouldn't Last 8xCD+10"
    Established 1958 / The Best Of Cliff 2xCD (EMI 1992)
    Sincerely / Cliff Live At The Talk Of The Town 2xCD (EMI 1992)
    Wired For Sound CD (2004 remaster)
    Always Guaranteed CD (2004 remaster)
    Stronger CD (2004 remaster)

I don't mind the sound of the 2004 remasters. The bonus tracks are enjoyable.
    The 1992 twofers are cool.

I am looking at getting The Original Album Series 5xCD and possibly the 1989 Some People compilation mentioned above.
    I am keen for any more recommendations for albums (especially ones with decent bonus tracks) or other compilations.
    Thank you.

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  14. Jarleboy

For my money, I would recommend these:

"I´M NEARLY FAMOUS" (1976)
    "EVERY FACE TELLS A STORY" (1977)
    "SMALL CORNERS" (1978)
    "GREEN LIGHT" (1978)
    "ROCK´N´ROLL JUVENILE" (1979)
    "I´M NO HERO" (1980)
    "NOW YOU SEE ME, NOW YOU DON´T" (1982)
    "STRONGER" (1989)
    "SONGS FROM HEATHCLIFF" (1995)

These are my favourites, and they all exist as remastered albums with bonus tracks.

I would also add these two as very much overlooked little gems:

"TAKE ME HIGH" (1973 - film soundtrack with some great songs)
    "THE 31ST OF FEBRUARY STREET" (1974, his transitional album)

Hope these albums tickle your fancy - I think they are among his very best.

15. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Those mentioned are probably Cliff's finest moments on vinyl (or CD).

nlgbbbblth, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Jarleboy

I certainly think so. These are the albums I keep going back to, and they have been played hundreds of times in my head. I like many other albums, and there are great songs on nearly all his albums, but these remain firm favourites.

I´m hoping the next album will be as strong as at least some of those.

BUT:

On a tangent: I have recently been buying the original versions of all the tracks from the "SMALL CORNERS" album, and I plan to make a CD-R of all the songs in the same order as the Cliff album. I only have to get the "JOSEPH" single by Quartet, and I´m complete. (The track has been released on CD once, on the unofficial various artists compilation "PSYCHAMANIA". If anyone has this, and will consider selling it, please consider letting me be the buyer... Same goes for the "POWER TO ALL OUR FRIENDS" compilation album on CD, of course.)

I´ll add the song "FOOL´S WISDOM", which is a song that Cliff has covered live, but never recorded in the studio - to my knowledge. Great song!

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  17. Jarleboy

I also have some exciting - well, for me, anyone - news about a live album released in Korea. I have ordered it, and I´m just waiting for it to pop into my mailbox. I´ll also make a CD-R of this later. I´m not adverse to sharing copies... Oops.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    CheshireCat, RonBaker and mark ab like this.
  18. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Thanks very much Jarleboy, will start to check out some of those suggestions. Much appreciated - great thread. Need to read more of it.

CheshireCat, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Jarleboy

Thank you, nigbbbblth - the name rolls so easily off the tongue, doesn´t it :righton:.

Just a comment about the Italian compilation "SOME PEOPLE". I bought it a while back. I like the selection and sequencing of the songs, for the most part, and it´s great to hear "NEVER SAY DIE (GIVE A LITTLE BIT MORE)" shine in this company. (Though the extended remix would have been even better.)

For me, the problem is one of sound. The songs are taken from different sources, of course, and I suspect not all were low generation ones. Don´t get me wrong - it doesn´t sound terrible, but I wouldn´t say I´m impressed, either.

20. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Cheers for the tip on Some People Jarleboy - will bear that in mind.
    nlgbbbblth is Analogue Bubblebath without vowels and a misplaced b :) - Analogue Bubblebath - ZineWiki - the history and culture of zines, independent media and the small press.

21. Jarleboy

22. CheshireCat

I'd add 'Something's Goin' On' to any recommendation for a Cliff collection. Great late era 'comeback'.

23. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

I still would recommend “Soulicious” to anyone, even if some people disagree...

Jarleboy, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  24. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I disagree

Jarleboy, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  25. Jarleboy

I quite agree. Some of the songs there are great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.