Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Most Cliff albums have some good songs. "Real As I Want to Be" (except for "Butterfly Kisses") is listenable...even though the songs themselves are rather weak. "Sincerely" also has a couple good songs. "Silver" has Love Stealer, which is good enough to warrant a few plays.

mark ab, CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Couldn´t agree more! I love the title track from "REAL AS I WANNA BE", and "LOVE STEALER" is my favourite from "SILVER". (Alongside "NEVER SAY DIE".)

And as you say: All Cliff albums have their moments. I´m not 100% sure if that´s true about "WANTED", though...

RonBaker, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  3. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I enjoy LET ME BE THE ONE, from 'Wanted'.

Jarleboy, RonBaker and mark ab like this.
  4. Jarleboy

I forgot about that one, second single or not! I agree - ut is a perfectly acceptable song. I don't remember it that well, do I think i'll play it right now. Any excuse...!-

RonBaker, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  5. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

For anyone in the UK, Channel 5 are showing a "brand new"90 minute documentary The Cliff Richard Story on May 25th at 9pm.
    Cliff Richard News on Twitter

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, I saw that in next week’s TVTimes.:)

Am I the last person in the UK to still buy TVTimes?

:D

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  7. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I buy the Radio Times! Have a subscription.

CheshireCat and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You’re posh.:D

Radio Times is the most expensive TV mag. It’s getting on for £3 a week.:yikes:

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  9. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Yep. Ridiculous price although the subscription deal is a lot better.

CheshireCat and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Thanks for the information, Mark! Much obliged. Let´s hope there´s some new information, espcially about the promised album of original material...

Too bad we can´t watch this here in Norway. Well, we can´t have everyhting, I suppose.

CheshireCat, RonBaker and mark ab like this.
  11. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

New album of brand new songs to be released in November this year! Recording has finished....

AND The 12th October 60th Anniversary concert is to be beamed live to UK cinemas and screened again on the 14th October!!

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

is there a thread where the audio on the DVD/blu ray of 'Cliff and the Shads' reunion 2009 is discussed?
    I couldn't find anything in the search engine.

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  13. Phil_Rocks

Phil_Rocks Forum Resident

Just read that Cliff's new album will feature songs by Terry Britten and Chris Eaton, it's getting me even more excited now.

14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'm particularly interested on the post production vocals done to the show.

mark ab, CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  15. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I've just seen this post so to answer your question yes I did record 'I Still Believe In You' and the
    credit on the box set is also me as I gave Peter Lewry some information on a couple of tracks
    my name gets shortened on some credits and can be confusing.

16. Mike S

Mike S Forum Resident

Firstly, thank you to Jarleboy and everyone else who has contributed to this interesting thread. I'm not sure whether this question has been covered throughout this 251 page thread but does anyone have an opinion on which Cliff Richard live performances released on DVD are particularly recommended?

I recently watched his 75th birthday show recorded in London at the Albert Hall (Titled: Cliff 75) and found it worthwhile, although noticed his voice seemed to be a bit weaker in the second half......or was it due to more demanding songs such as Ocean Deep that caused the strain to show a bit? Anyway, all told, it was an extremely impressive performance.

Which other concert DVD(s) should I purchase next? All answers gratefully received.

Jarleboy, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  17. CheshireCat

For me, the key live concert DVDs would be 'From A Distance - The Event', 'Castles In The Air', and 'The Final Reunion' with The Shadows. That gives you concerts from 1989, 2004 and 2009.

Mike S, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  18. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I would add "The Countdown Concert" for the song "Sci-Fi" if nothing else. It's an amazing performance!

19. Jarleboy

Lovely question!

There are many good concert videos by Cliff - he was often better live than in the studio, in my humble opinion.

More information about each release can be found here: Cliff Richard discography - Wikipedia

1981 Thank You Very Much (with The Shadows)
    This is the companion to the 1979 live album which saw Cliff & The Shadows celebrate their first
    20 years in the business. Both sound and vision is mostly atrocious, even on Laserdisc. It does
    contain interviews with Olivia Newton-John, Tim Rice and others, but what they isn´t all that
    interesting. Outstanding tracks (IMO, of course): "WHY SHOULD THE DEVIL HAVE ALL THE
    GOOD MUSIC", "ALL SHOOK UP" and "END OF THE SHOW". (The latter is a beautiful song
    from a solo album by Beach Boys member Dennis Wilson.) Not officially available anymore.

1983 The Video Connection
    Not a concert, but a compilation of his music videos up till 1983. Surprisingly entertaining,
    especially the interstitials with Morecambe & Wise, Kenny Everett, Noel Edmonds, Graham
    Jarvis and others. Outstanding videos: "NEVER SAY DIE", "BABY, YOU´RE DYNAMITE",
    "HEY MR. DREAM MAKER". Not officially available anymore.

1984 Together with Cliff & The Shadows
    Fun concert featuring mostly old material, not surprisingly. They all sound very similar to their
    studio counterparts. Fun moment: the routine about Eurovision. Not officially available anymore.

1985 Rock in Australia
    Concert based mostly on the "SILVER" and "THE ROCK CONNECTION" albums. Great concert!
    Outstanding tracks: "UNDER THE GUN", "OCEAN DEEP", "LOVE STEALER". Not officially
    available anymore.

1988 Always Guaranteed (EP)
    The videos for the four singles from the album.

1989 Private Collection
    Another video compilation - this time with just the videos.

1989 Live & Guaranteed '88
    Concert video covering his 1988 Danish tour, with material from the "ALWAYS GUARANTEED".
    Underpromoted, but a great little concert. (NB! Released as VHS+CD.) Outstanding tracks:
    superior live versions of "REMEMBER ME" and the title track, both sounding more rock´n´roll
    than the studio versions - and much better! Also features a great version of Larry Norman´s
    wonderful "U.F.O.". Not officially available anymore.

1990 From a Distance — The Event
    Great concert. Half 50s rock´n´roll show, half contemporary pop tracks. One of his best. Also
    features many covers of rock songs. Outstanding tracks: Too many to mention, but I like this
    version of "I COULD EASILY FALL (IN LOVE WITH YOU)". Reissued in 2005 on DVD.

1991 Together with Cliff
    Cute and sacharine companion to the 1991 Christmas album. You decide whether it´s too
    schmaltzy to enjoy. A compilation of mimed performances. Only on VHS.

1992 My Kinda Life (French release)
    I don´t know anything about this release, but I´d love to learn more!

1993 Cliff When the Music Stops
    Documentary about Cliff´s thoughts about life in general, and what will fill his life when the career
    is over. If ever... Interesting.

1993 Access All Areas
    Concert focusing on his 1993 album... eh... "THE ALBUM". Your enjoyment of this will depend on
    how you view this album. It´s a technically well recorded concert, and it does contain some
    unusual choices. Outstanding tracks: "SILVERY RAIN", "MONDAY THRU FRIDAY", "LOVE ON
    (SHINE ON)". Unfortunately, "WHEN TWO WORLDS DRIFT APART" - my very favourite Cliff
    song - was performed and recorded as the penultimate track, but was - as far as I know - the only
    track from this concert to remain unreleased. Drat.

1993 The Story So Far
    Another documentary, featuring rather outspoken comments from Bruce Welch and Una Stubbs.
    Very good. What about another one, covering the years 1994-2018, released as 2 DVDs?

1994 The Hit List
    Mostly TV performances of his classic hits. Very watchable.

1994 Christmas with Cliff Richard (1980)
    Highly essential concert from Chichester, where he shares the stage with Garth Hewitt and
    Network 3. Some very interesting tracks, like "SONG FOR SARAH", "WE´RE ALL ONE" and
    many other, rarely performed songs. Too bad the sound is terible.

1995 The Hit List — Live
    Nice concert of Cliff performing classic hits.

1996 Cliff at the Movies
    Another documentary about Cliff´s film work, focusing mainly on the successful films.

1997 Heathcliff
    Great recording of a performance of "HEATHCLIFF". I love the songs, and Cliff is better than you
    would think as the lead.

1998 The Making of Heathcliff
    OK.

1998 40th Anniversary Concert
    This is where the live DVDs started to appear more often than studio albums. This one focuses on
    his "REAL AS I WANNA BE" album. Not his most memorable concert, but still good. Outstanding
    track: "REAL AS I WANNA BE"

1999 Live in the Park
    OK concert, but featuring snippets of Cliff interviews between the songs. What he has to say is less
    than essential. IMO, the same can mostly be said about the concert in general.

2000 An Audience with Cliff Richard
    Fun combination of live performances and entertaining banter. The series had already covered
    other big Bristish names - Ken Dodd, The Bee Gees, Tom Jones etc. An entertaining series.

2000 The Countdown Concert
    I agree with Ron that "SCI-FI" is a highpoint of this concert, and there are many good moments,
    but too many covers of other people´s hits ruins it for me. Who needs to hear Cliff cover
    "BRIGHT EYES" and "EVERYTHING I DO (I DO IT FOR YOU)" with about as much enthusiasm
    as he did when recording the material for the "WANTED" album.

2001 Unforgettable
    A selection of live performances and official videos. I haven´t seen this for years, but I remember
    liking it.

2002 The Hits I Missed
    I haven´t seen this. Sorry.

2003 Cliff — World Tour
    Hooray - a documentation of the songs from "WANTED" being performed live... The concert is
    much better than the album, IMO, and his performance of ABBA´s "LAY ALL YOUR LOVE ON
    ME" has to be seen to be believed. For those who thinks Cliff has no sense of humour - watch this.
    I love the original, but Cliff is clearly enjoying himself. On a tangent: A part of the extras was
    recorded at his concert in Stavanger, a couple of miles from my flat. The young girl being
    interviewed is the daughter of a good friend of mine. The closest I ever got to Cliff.

2004 Castles in the Air
    I have this concert, but I have never watched it.

2005 On the Beach
    Same as above.

2006 Live Here and Now
    I love this concert. Some very unusual choices, including the superior Christmas song "21st
    CENTURY CHRISTMAS" There are many songs from his 70s/80 heyday, and quite a few from
    "SOMETHING GOIN´ ON". A joy.

2008 Time Machine Tour 50th Anniversary
    A great concept, and some unusual inclusions among the familiar hits, among them "STRONGER
    THAN THAT". Another great concert, and this features the classic "GOLDEN".

2009 The Final Reunion
    What it says on the box - his last tour with The Shadows. Much like the 1984 concert, but more
    extensive, and released on a state of the art Blu-ray. I have an extra copy of this, if anybody needs
    it. :agree:

2010 Rare And Unseen
    I neither have seen nor own this. Sorry.

2010 Bold as Brass
    A game of two halves. The first one features songs from his endless list of his hits, and
    interspersed are welcome inclusions like "THE TIME IN BETWEEN" and "ALL MY LOVE". The
    second half presents his then new album. I like the songs, but Cliff´s versions aren´t definitive.
    (That´s a nice way of putting it, isn´t it? Cliff sings as well as he always does, but though he´s
    seemingly enthusiastic about the project, this really isn´t what he does best.)

2011 The Soulicious Tour
    At first I didn´t like this album, but this DVD makes the whole project seem more charming an less
    misguided. Highlight: the charm of the late, great Percy Sledge - and Freda Payne.

2013 Still Reelin' and a-Rockin' - Live in Sydney
    This is a great concert recorded at the opera house. Some of the covers of old rock´n´roll classics
    may seem less than essential, as did the two albums chock full of the, but Cliff and the band never
    loses energy. This is a concert you can watch over and over again, and still enjoy.

2015 Cliff Richard 75th Birthday Concert
    A live recording from London in 1980 featured a shot of Cliff saying, resignedly, "What happens
    now - I´m forty!" Well, at this point he was 75, and he still puts on a great show. I have to admit
    that I can live without the more pompous arrangement of "MISS YOU NIGHTS", but, on the
    whole, it´s a very good concert. Cliff points out various celebrities during the evening, among
    them his fellow Shadows, Bonnie Tyler, Alan Tarney, Pat and John Farrar and, of course,
    charming "surprise" guest Olivia Newton-John. Just a pity that you can see them all.

CheshireCat, Mike S and mark ab like this.
  20. Phil_Rocks

Phil_Rocks Forum Resident

I really wish they would release Cliff's VHS's releases onto DVD all mine are unplayable now, i wonder why they never have, most things end up on DVD at some point but with Cliff nothing except for ''the event'' shame really as Cliff DVD's sell well so i can't see it being a profit loss.

21. Mike S

Mike S Forum Resident

Thank you so much to all those who have kindly offered their recommendations and especially to Jarleboy for your comprehensive rundown of all the titles issued over the years. I think I will purchase From A Distance-The Event, The Countdown Concert and Live-Here And Now for starters.

On a personal level Jarleboy, I am delighted to see you posting here again after your illness and trust you are now fully recovered. You may also be interested to know that I share your enthusiasm for Cliff's output during 1975-1982 and have purchased Small Corners, Now You See Me, Now You Don't and Something's Goin' On Cd's as a direct result of your enthusiasm for these titles in his thread.

22. Jarleboy

I couldn´t agree more! It wouldn´t be that cost-prohibitive, and I think they still migt sell well. I mean, us "oldies" still buy physical media, so why not release them on DVD or Blu-rays? I´d buy them, even though I already have most of them on VHS.

23. Jarleboy

Thank you Mike! Nothing thrills me more than someone discovering new Cliff music on these pages! So glad you shared this with us. :agree:

I am not fully recovered yet, but it turned out my diagnosis was more serious than I had imagined, and I have been through lots of examinations and one case of surgery. Chemo therpay starts next week, and another operation later this autumn. But I feel better than I have for months, and I shall recover completely. Just give me some time. Depending on how well i repsond to the chemo therapy, I´ll be back with the postings on this thread. I have commented on some other threads, and I feel just about ready to return to writing for this thread. (It takes a bit more effort to write this than commenting on other threads, but I want to get back to writing.)

So... "LIVING DOLL", here we come! Soon. :wave:

24. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Best wishes to you.

John Adam and Jarleboy like this.
  25. CheshireCat

A few months ago when you said you had been ill, I thought, a touch of flu or something. I am glad you're feeling better, and I will be willing you on from afar to get better and back to full strength. Get back when you're ready, we're all still here!

John Adam, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.