Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Lane

Chris Lane Forum Resident

Cilla and Cliff are about to release "You're My World". Cilla's 1964 number one hit has had new arrangement with
    The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and our own Sir Cliff. Release details are unknown.

2. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

The cd is released Nov 16th, Cliff is on one track only.
    Sir Cliff duets with Cilla on new album

1. Step Inside Love
    2. Anyone Who Had A Heart (with Rebecca Ferguson)
    3. Don't Answer Me (Ti Vedo Uscire)
    4. Surround Yourself With Sorrow
    5. You're My World (Il Mio Mondo) [with Cliff Richard]
    6. Both Sides Now
    7. Conversations
    8. Alfie (with Sheridan Smith)
    9. Something Tells Me (Something's Gonna Happen Tonight)
    10. Your Song
    11. Love Of The Loved
    12. Love's Just A Broken Heart (L'Amour Est Ce Qu'il Est)
    13. Have I Told You Lately
    14. It's For You

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Many thanks for info.

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Oh goody, cant wait for this album of horrors....:hide:

5. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

Anyone been to a concert yet? I’m off to the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday...

CheshireCat, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  6. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I think one of the concerts is broadcast live to cinemas this weekend.
    Hope you enjoy your show.

CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Just FYI: I just scored" a rarity in Cliff terms. Well, two, to be frank. The first one is a promo CD single of "HEALING LOVE" " 7" remix (edit) that hasn´t been released as a proper CD single. I remember liking the remix on the vinyl single, but not the 12" version, which was released on one of the CD singles.

Even more exciting: I managed to get hold of one of the holy grails of Cliff rarities - a CD release of the extended 12" remix of "BORN TO ROCK´N´ROLL". It´s to be found on an unofficial compilation called "BAVARIA" Vol. 4, released in Germany. I´m a bit nervous of mentioning this - I was offered this once before, but it turned out the seller had a different entry in the series for sale - vol. 3. Which didn´t include any Cliff tracks at all.

The reason I write this is that some of you might want to get hold of these special versions of Cliff´s songs. I got them through Discogs, and waiting patiently for my want list to have an effect really paid off. (The "HEALING LOVE" promo CD single turned up on eBay, so you can get lucky there, too.)

"BORN TO ROCK´N´ROLL" (Exyended version) was released on three different compilations. Write me if you want to know their names. (Could save you a lot of time - I sifted through endless pages of Cliff-related Discogs searches.)

It´s getting close to release day for "RISE UP". Let´s hope this single ends Cliff´s dry spell in the charts.

8. Mike S

Mike S Forum Resident

I'm going to the live cinema screening tonight and hope to see him live in Bournemouth next Wednesday, partly on the basis that it will be interesting to see how the cinema experience compares with attending a live show.

The advertisement for the cinema broadcast is copied below:

Release date:
    12 October 2018
    Running time:
    150 minutes

103 album releases, 123 single hits and the equivalent of 20 years spent in the UK charts. Britain's Ultimate Pop Star, Cliff Richard is celebrating 60 years in the music industry and he wants to invite you to the most fabulous big screen party of the year! The 60th Anniversary Tour will be broadcast LIVE to your local cinema on Friday 12 October 2018, with special encore screenings on Sunday 14 October in celebration of Cliff's 78th birthday. Featuring a selection of his greatest hits across six decades, this will be Cliff Richard's most exciting tour yet. His incredible energy and passion on stage will sweep you off your feet and be sure to have you swaying in the aisles.

9. Jarleboy

Please let us know what you think of the two experiences, and, if you remember, write a little bit about the set list. I´m interested in the new songs, and I would like to know if some of the less well-known songs are performed. I think it´s a safe bet that "MISS YOU NIGHTS" and "WE DON´T TALK ANYMORE" will be on the set list, and perhaps a little known song called "MOVE IT!"...

I am particularly interested if any songs from the 1968-1981 period are performed. I was so pleased when he dug out "SCI FI" from the darker recesses of his catalogue in 1989 and 2006. Anything from "GREEN LIGHT" would also be welcome.

And, of course: Do enjoy yourself, Mike! Wish I could be there.

Chris Lane, Tim Cooper, bob60 and 4 others like this.
  10. Mike S

Mike S Forum Resident

Thanks Jarleboy.

I wish you could be there as well to advise me on the titles of any songs he performs that I don't recognize - I've only been introduced to his songs after 1984 in this thread.

I will attempt to post the set-list (or at least as many songs as I recognize) and of course my impressions of both shows later on.

11. Jarleboy

Oh believe me, I would if I could! :righton: I have been a fan more or less since 1979, but I have yet to see - and hear! - him live. I could have gone to see him in 2003, I think, when he was touring the "WANTED" album. He gave a concert less than 10 km from my house, but I was so disappointed by the album and his - then - current practice of making the back-up vocalists sing some of his old chestnuts - "DEVIL WOMAN" et al - that I didn´t go. (My interest for his music was at its lowest ebb around 1998 - 2003. When he released "SOMETHING´S GOIN´ON" I was back in business. I didn´t abandon him completely, but he wasn´t a priority.)

Please don´t feel that you have to "report" back to us. Just interesting if you remember some unexpected song that crops up.

No matter what, to quote Cliff´s 1974 song, do have a good time and enjoy the music. We´re all envying you... :agree:

12. Mike S

Mike S Forum Resident

If I don't recognize a particular song, I will quote a line from it and you'll have to help me out....deal?
    Thanks, however, I've thought of a way round this...if I don't recognize a particular song, I will quote a line from it and you'll have to help me out when I post the set-list....deal?

13. Jarleboy

That´s a great idea - and a deal! And if I can´t help, there are heads wiser and more knowledgeable than mine on this thread, so... Betwixt us we should be able to recognise most of his songs. Let´s do this together! :righton:

14. Mike S

Mike S Forum Resident

Great, I'll catch up with you later.

15. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Pleased that the new RISE UP 7" single has arrived. I still like it, and hope the rest of the album lives up to it. I've no idea how 4000 sales (surely it must sell out this week!) will translate into a chart position, will it be enough to creep into the top 40??

16. Jarleboy

Let´s hope it does! He could sure use another hit by now, and I liked this song.

From what I have read, it doesn´t take that many sales to reach the Top 40 - not even No. 1. I do fear that Cliff´s days as a hitmaker are over, but here´s hoping it goes Top Ten. At the very least.

17. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

This,from officialcharts.com, suggests the numbers required are higher than I'd have guessed - I although it does seem to be based on average figures from several years ago:

On top of all of this, of course, you need to sell enough music to make the charts. Contrary to much myth, you currently need to sell more music to make the Official Singles Charts than for many years – the average Official Number 1 single has sold between 100,000 and 110,000 copies a week in 2013 and 2014, while you have needed to sell 7,500 to 8,000 copies to make the top 40. Likewise, you have had to sell around 60,000-plus copies to become the Official Number 1 Album and sell 4,000 to 4,500 reach number 40.

alexpop, Mike S, Tim Cooper and 3 others like this.
  18. CheshireCat

That's a shame. I'm surprised it's that high, but as you say, the figures are from 4 or 5 years ago. Seven days from now we'll know where 4000 sales places you in the charts! I can't imagine there'll be many streams or downloads to add.

19. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Yep, don't think his fans are keen streamers or downloaders!
    Ed Sheeran is obviously not a fair comparison but I looked him up and he had the biggest selling UK signal last year ( Shape Of You) with 3.2 million combined sales : 787,00 sales and 248 million downloads!

20. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Off topic but this reminds me of a question in the local pub quiz. Last round is a quickfire one where all the answers are numbers and whoever gets closest to the right answer wins. A while back one question was to do with the most streamed song ( have a feeling it was Sheeran but can't remember ) no one was remotely close to the right answer because it was something over 1 billion!
    And a fair few people in that quiz are far more familiar with streaming /downloading music than I am and even they were amazed at the answer.

21. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

This is the pretty standard setlist over the last few weeks, copied from setlist.fm

Setlist

1. 1950s
    2. Heartbreak Hotel
      (Elvis Presley cover)
    3. Peggy Sue
      (Buddy Holly cover)

4. Wake Up Little Susie
      (The Everly Brothers cover)
    5. Move It
      (Cliff Richard & The Shadows cover)

6. Living Doll
      Play Video
    7. 1960s
    8. Love Me Do
      (The Beatles cover)
    9. Summer Holiday
    10. The Next Time

11. The Young Ones

12. The Minute You're Gone

13. Congratulations

14. 1970s
    15. Bright Eyes
      (Mike Batt cover)
      Play Video
    16. Miss You Nights
    17. Devil Woman

18. 1980s
    19. Beat It
      (Michael Jackson cover)

20. The Best of Me

21. Daddy's Home
      (Shep & The Limelites cover)

22. Mistletoe & Wine

23. 1990s
    24. From a Distance
      (Julie Gold cover)
      Play Video
    25. The Millennium Prayer

26. All I Have to Do Is Dream
      (The Everly Brothers cover)
      Play Video
    27. 2000s
    28. The Miracle of Love

29. Rise Up

30. Reborn

31. Encore:
    32. Reelin' and Rockin' / My Kinda Life
      (Chuck Berry cover)

33. Encore 2:
    34. We Don't Talk Anymore

35. Reborn {Reprise}[Outro]
    The times at Manchester show tonight is for Cliff to be on stage for 2 x 45 minute sets.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  22. CheshireCat

To me, it's quite an unadventurous and disappointing setlist. It's not inspired me to rush off to the cinema tonight anyway.

23. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Yes. The unusual songs seem to be unusual because they're not 'his' songs!

24. Jarleboy

First of all, thank you for posting the set list, Daveymoore. :righton: Good to know.

And then... I agree with Anthony and Mark. Too many songs we have heard before. The usual culprits are mostly there, and, as Mark points out, the not-so-obvious choices are other people´s hits. And only two tracks from the upcoming album? He can´t have too much belief in the project, then. :shake: Let´s hope my interpretation is a much too pessimistic one.

Apart from the new songs, "BEAT IT" was the most intriguing inclusion. I wonder how our now (almost) 78 year old hero is going to tackle that one. Perhaps he´ll do a humourous cover, as he did with ABBA´s "LAY ALL YOUR LOVE ON ME". I can´t imagine it being as funky or even rocking as the original. He hosted a video show in Norway in 1983, when he was here promoting the "BABY, YOU´RE DYNAMITE" single, and among his choices for favourite videos was "BEAT IT", and he said that he was a big fan of the "THRILLER" album in general. I agree, it´s great. (Though I don´t have much love for "BEAT IT". Sorry - it´s most likely a great song, but I can happily live without it. I prefer the title track.)

A little aside: Cliff promoting "BABY, YOU´RE DYNAMITE" meant that this song, probably along with "MISTLETOE & WINE" and "SOME PEOPLE" are the only 80s Cliff songs Norwegians remember. Now, I happen to like the fluffy, poppy forgettable, but fun "BABY, YOU´RE DYNAMITE", but it´s not his best moment, not even of 1983! Still, the video was great.

Back to the set list. Perhaps I´m expecting too much from the old man. Still, I´d love to hear "MY KINDA LIFE" performed live. For me, it´s one of his best recordings ever. The 1992 remix is also surprisingly good.

Edit: "BABY, YOU´RE DYNAMITE" was given the deluxe treatment, promotion-wise, because "NEVER SAY DIE (GIVE A LITTLE BIT MORE)" was a highly surprising Top Ten hit here in 1983. To build the momentum, they skipped the follow-up single - "PLEASE DON´T FALL IN LOVE" - but promoted the next single heavily. As usual, nothing happened. Cliff was, and still is, sales poison here in Norway.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  25. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Beat It mentioned in this generally positive review - Cliff singing it wearing ripped jeans!
    Cliff Richard review: Songs, jokes and dodgy leather trousers | Daily Mail Online
    I guess the album not being out before the tour might make him reluctant to do too many songs from it so hopefully the lack of new songs is purely for that reason. Trouble with doing the cover songs is they take up space in the set that might have been better filled by deep(ish) cuts from his own catalogue and also means the rest of the set has to be familiar fare.
    Reviews do seem generally positive though, even The Guardian review was 3/5 - rather sarcastically written but not too bad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.