Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

And if you want more... Some goodies here.

Bobby Morrow and mark ab like this.
  2. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

"Slow Rivers" (as someone pointed out) is a song with both artists going through the motions. Slick sounding, forgettable. It's in my collection of course, but hasn't been played more than five times in the past 30 years.

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  3. Jarleboy

Same here, more or less. I don´t skip it when it comes on, but I don´t look for it on purpose, either.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Wouldn't "Slow Rivers" have been Mr. Richard repaying an old friend - one who got his foot firmly in the door of America via "Devil Woman," 10 years before? Also, I.I.N.M., Mr. John was in the midst of a massive drug addiction at the time (including cocaine), one which may have played some role in vocal problems he would have the year after on a live concert version of "Candle In The Wind" that would signify his return to U.S. label MCA . . .

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  5. Jarleboy

Could be... Too bad the favour didn´t really pay off. The song is too pedestrian for that - again, not at all bad, but hardly memorable.

I guess a cover of "Don´t Go Breaking My Heart" would have been out of the question... :righton:

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Looks like I'm on my own here in fact I actually like this a lot. It's a nice slow, catchy ballad, that grows on you, well me anyway!
    The Hip clip is good too, you can tell they are mates.
    From memory, the Elton/Cliff clip at The Hip, was recorded seperatly from the rest of the show, and the story was that to get an audience they just basiclly got people of the street!
    I also like the video clip that you put elsewhere, with Cliff in London and Elton in Oz.
    Whatever you think of Elton, one thing I admire about him is his work rate. He seems to be for ever gigging, just look at his tour schedule on his web site.
    I do play this duet still now and again.

StephenB, Rigsby, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  7. Jarleboy

Sorry, yes, it would seem that you´re on your own about "SLOW RIVERS". I´m glad you like it - the song deserves to be loved by someone. :righton:

You are right, the Elton John segment of "CLFF FROM THE HIP" was filmed separately from the others, on a different. (Work schedules being involved. As you mention, Elton did put a few more than 24 hours in a day.)

And yes, it does come across that Cliff and Elton are on friendly terms. I like that.

mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. Jarleboy

Single No. 101: 1987 June 8 — UK — EMI EM 4
    A-side: "MY PRETTY ONE" (Written Alan Tarney)
    B-side: "LOVE YA"" (Written by Cliff Richard)
    12": "UNDER THE GUN (LIVE)" (Written by James A. Rushing & J.D. Martin)
    A-side arranged and produced by Alan Tarney, and B-sides produced by Cliff Richard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12" cover folds out to be a poster. Yeah!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cliff had been experimenting with different styles and different producers and collaborators in the mid-80s, and it had yielded varying results, both commercially and critically. Perhaps that was what prompted him to seek out a former friend and co-worker, who had provided him with several hits, as a songwriter, musician and producer. Alan Tarney was back. He was still writing catchy pop songs with inconsequential lyrics, and since their last Project together, he had enjoyed immense success working with a myriad of talented artists, most notably, perhaps, the Norwegian a-ha, who had enjoyed big hits in Europe, the US and South America. They were slowly building a reputation for themselves as highly talented musicians and songwriters.

So, Alan Tarney was back to provide Cliff with more hits. Which he proceded to do. But something was different this time now. (See what I did there? Sorry...:rolleyes:) The songs were as catchy as ever - the first two singles went Top Ten, and two more were minor hits. The album itself went on to become Cliff´s biggest studio album ever. Yes, "ALWAYS GUARANTEED" sold more copies than all the big hits from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Everything was coming up roses... But yes, something had changed.

There were things missing from the productions. Tarney´s songs had always been lighter than air, floating above us mere mortals. That was part of their charm. But in the past, they had always been grounded by Trevor Spencer´s very organic drum sound, and Alan Tarney´s guitars, bass and backing vocals had kept their feet firmly planted in the ground. These new songs had very few instruments on them - a guitar, perhaps, and the rest was programmed by Tarney. That doesn´t make them bad songs, but a certain amount of the charm had disappeared - for me, at least.

The first off the assembly line was not as marked by this as some of the album tracks - and the next single. It was a "previously loved" song, first released by the British singer Jamie Rae as "PRETTY ONE" on Stiff Records in 1985. Also produced by Tarney, it was not a hit. He decided to give it another go, and this time he was rewarded with another Top Ten hit, peaking at No. 6 in the UK and No. 4 in Ireland.

Here´s what Robert Porter has to say:
    "I never heard of Jamie Rae [who recorded My Pretty One in 1985]. I didn't even know that someone else recorded it, otherwise I'd never have recorded it. I don't mind. If it's similar, it can't be the vocals because I've never heard his vocals. But Alan Tarney produced his record too, so the production might be similar, but I shouldn't think the voices are the same. The only difference is that I'm number 6 and he never made it. Well, that's a big difference. [...] I don't like to be called just a ballad singer or just a rock 'n' roll singer. I've sung country music. Devil Woman kind of songs. Miss You Nights. My Pretty One, I don't even know where My Pretty One fits in. It's just a great pop song. And I enjoy that. I enjoy the challenge of that sort of thing. I'm a singer [and] some people are actors. [...] I had an idea for the last video, My Pretty One. And when I talked to the director, his idea was exactly the same. So I said, well, that must be right then. [...] Most of my videos, I don't like. I've never really enjoyed my videos very much. I liked Wired For Sound, Daddy's Home, and the duet I sang with Sarah Brighman, that was a nice video. And My Pretty One is fabulous. That's my favorite video."
    Cliff Richard (circa 1987 - unknown interview from the Baktabak interview disc (BAK 2063))

"Two tracks, My Pretty One and Some People, culled from the Always Guaranteed album, were selected for single release and became Cliff's two top ten hits in a row for 1987. May 7, 1987: [The] video for [the next] single My Pretty One shot at Albert Wharf, London, SW11. June 8, 1987: Cliff's next single-- My Pretty One is released with Love Ya on the 'B' side, and a third track Under The Gun appearing on the 12-inch version."
    Mike Read, Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (1995 - The Complete Chronicle)
    "I did a video of My Pretty One which came from the Always Guaranteed album. And I loved it because there was a storyline in it, you know. You don't have to have a beginning, middle and end necessarily. But there's a feeling that this character was being wafted through a situation that looked like a movie. I'd seen the film Legend and I thought, 'This is wonderful!' And I kept thinking, when I saw the video, it looked like the film Legend. There's always something floating by the camera in front of me and it really looked very attractive. And there was a kind of vague storyline in it. "
    Cliff Richard (2001 - Unforgettable documentary)
    "Both My Pretty One and Some People, the first tasters for Always Guaranteed reached #3 and #6 respectively. Those two tracks, probably more than any other at the time, marked the rehabilitation of Cliff Richard as an artist who although hugely popular with his public had never been taken to the heart of the rock aristocracy and had received a flood of unnecessary critical abuse over the years. Released in June 1987, My Pretty One entered the UK charts on 20 June 1987 and reached #6 during its 10 week spell on the chart. Also issued in a gatefold sleeve (EMG 4) and as a 12-inch single with an extended mix of My Pretty One and an extra track, Under The Gun (12EM 4)."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (January 2004 - liner notes for Always Guaranteed remaster album)

Alan Tarney plays/programs all the instruments on this recording, and the only other sound you hear is Cliff´s voice.

As usual, I find myself warming to this Alan Tarney song. It´s full of hooks, and the rhythm track is interesting. A very 80s kind of a song. Does it have substance? Not really, but that was not what you were primarily looking for in a Cliff song at this time. But it had "Hit!" stamped all over it, and deserved its high placing in the charts. And I have to admit that it doesn´t sound quite as sterile as some of the songs on this album. A well-deserved hit for the team.

And even the sleeve was rather wonderful on this one. :righton:

I also have to mention that for such a lightweight song to work, there has to be a warm voice fronting it. Cliff has that, and it works well for this song.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  9. Jarleboy

Here´s the original version by Jamie Rae, issued as "PRETTY ONE". The arrangement is more or less the same, only the voice is different.

RonBaker, mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Jarleboy

The extended version was made the same way the "WE DON´T TALK ANYMORE" extended versions was - cut and paste. Sort of.

11. Jarleboy

The ordinary B-side for the 7" single was very... Well, ordinary. Written and produced by Cliff, you get what you expect. It´s not a memorable track, I think, but at least it gave Cliff a healthy royalty paycheck.

Robert Porter:
    "June 8, 1987: Cliff's next single-- My Pretty One is released with Love Ya on the 'B' side, and a third track Under The Gun appearing on the 12-inch version."

"Most of [the bonus tracks from the Always Guaranteed singles]-- including some of Cliff's own compositions such as Love Ya and Another Christmas Day-- were recorded with Alan Park in the ground floor studio at Cliff's offices in Esher."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (January 2004 - liner notes for Always Guaranteed remaster album)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Jarleboy

The 12" bonus B-side was a political song, warning people about the dangers of atomic war. The lyric is quite pessimistic, but I believe this version has been altered slightly - "There's a finger on the button but if it's pressed we're not forgotten", with the word "all" exchanged with "not". There´s also a reference to Jesus in the line: "Run to the Son". NB! I am not certain if these are changes made by Cliff & co, or if the original also had the same lyrics. I think I remember hearing a more pessimistic lyric earlier.

More from Robert Porter:
    This is a live recording, lifted from the Rock In Australia concert, that was used as a bonus track on the B-side of the My Pretty One single in 1987. The 1995 The Complete Chronicles book seemed to indicate that it was a studio recording, done at C.R.O. Studios in Esher (Cliff's own small studio) in April 1987. This is believed to have been done in error or a small bit of post-production was done in 1987 to bring it to the same sound as the My Pretty One single.

"June 8, 1987: Cliff's next single-- My Pretty One is released with Love Ya on the 'B' side, and a third track Under The Gun appearing on the 12-inch version."
    "The non-album b-side bonus tracks are those originally released with the album's singles, mainly from the regular 7-inch versions, although in some cases, with some songs, such as Under The Gun, Reunion Of The Heart, Brave New World and Wild Geese, were additional tracks, not the extended remixes, that were added to the 12-inch and CD single formats, popular at the time. [The My Pretty One single was] also issued in a gatefold sleeve (EMG 4) and as a 12-inch single with an extended mix of My Pretty One and an extra track, Under The Gun (12EM 4)."

I love this song!

Tim Cooper, mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. Jarleboy

The song was also recorded by Bobby´s favourite Scottish singer, Sheila Walsh, on her album "DON´T HIDE YOUE HEART" (1985). Her arrangement is more spiky and angular, and I don´t think it serves the song well. NB! The songs were recorded at the same time, but Sheila´s Version was released first.

14. W.B.

It was also Mr. Richard's first single for the next revolving door of U.S. labels, a relatively new independent called Striped Horse (home to such other retreads as DeBarge, The Dramatics, and Eric Burdon), where it was issued as SH 7008. At least a few pressings were mastered by one of his former U.S. labels, Capitol (which cut the lacquers for many an EMI America release including his second-biggest U.S. hit). Alas, as was typical of his releases after 1983-84, this did not chart in the States - and he would only put out one more 45 on Striped Horse before that label went under.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Jarleboy

That´s correct. The album "ALWAYS GUARANTEED" was also put out on Striped Horse, renamed "CLIFF RICHARD" and with a different cover. (Quite Nice, actually.)

Thanks for the information! :righton:

mark ab likes this.
  16. Jarleboy

Here is the cover of the "ALWAYS GUARANTEED"/"CLIFF RICHARD" on Striped Horse in the US.

[​IMG]

And the label for the single:

[​IMG]

There´s no end to what you can find on the internet, it would seem. :agree:

17. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I remember these two being big hits and buying the parent album. They were pretty light and fluffy songs, very catchy, and suited his voice well.

It's time for a Cliff Richard Extended Mixes collection I think.

18. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

It's time for a Cliff Richard Extended Mixes collection I think.[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea. Someone kindly copied a load of extended mixes onto a cd for me once, but an official release would be great.
    Somehow, like the "Rock in Australia" video being given a dvd release, I cant ever see it happening.

mark ab likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That sounds like a Laura Branigan B-side. Not bad though. I'm not sure if her understating the chorus was the best idea...

There's a touch of Jennifer Rush about her voice.

20. Bobby Morrow

I'm not usually a fan of 'message' songs, but this is OK. As I recall the later remasters of Always Guaranteed and Stronger had some pretty good bonus tracks.

Tim Cooper, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

I actually quite like this! I've always felt that, like Olivia, Cliff is a competent, but unremarkable songwriter. Also, like Olivia, he writes songs about issues that are close to his heart. As bland as they often finish up. Not that Love Ya is especially insightful:D

Still, this song is one of his stronger pop tunes. It has a chorus too! Usually Cliff's self-penned songs are B-Side and 'bonus track' fodder at best, but I think, had it been included on Always Guaranteed, it wouldn't have seemed out of place up against Alan Tarney's clever, hooky material.

Love Ya is pretty good. I'm glad to own it on the Always Guaranteed remaster.

22. Bobby Morrow

I remember an interview from the mid-80s where Cliff stated that he couldn't stand the sound of programmed drums. Then he made an album that was full of them.:D

What to say about this period? I consider it to be Cliff's second 'comeback'. If you consider his first was from 1976-1983, you can say this one was from 1986 until the early 90s. What was amazing was that this second comeback was far more successful than his first.. Especially if you factor in the compilations and live releases of this time.

It'd never happen today, of course. Radio 1, still essential for big chart singles, played Cliff well up unto the early 90s. In fact, I believe they stopped around the time of the Songs From Heathcliff album. When My Pretty One was released, Cliff was almost 47. Still on the radio and TOTP regularly. This year Radio 1 dropped the very successful Olly Murs from their playlists. He was 31. Cliff had it good in his day.:)

That said, My Pretty One was just what Cliff needed in 1987. It's not amongst his best singles by any means, but it was a modern pop hit that didn't seem out of place in the top 10. After years of off-kilter duets and stage musical shenanigans, he was back on track. It sounded familiar as a Cliff record, but fresh also.

The video wasn't bad either. Cliff would never be the fresh-faced 'Bachelor Boy' of the 60s again, but he looked good in the clip. Dodgy special effects to one side.:)

The picture sleeve was also very good. As last he was getting it right! Simple but striking photography.

My Pretty One was a great launch for Always Guaranteed. At the time, we didn't realise there would be an even bigger hit from the album to come...

goodiesguy, bob60, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  23. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

I like it a lot, too. You are not on your own!!

Tim Cooper and mark ab like this.
  24. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Actually, "Love Ya" was the side that was played on our local radio station...but just once. "My Pretty One" was never played. Striped Horse was not a big label at all...at best a small indie label. It's a shame that Cliff decided to ditch EMI in America at that point...he might have found success with this record.

[​IMG]

25. W.B.

I don't know if it was he who ditched EMI America, or if they ditched him. But yeah . . . quelle shame in any case.

As for this phase of Mr. Richard's career, and how long this run lasted, it was the slo-mo equivalent of Elvis' last big triumphs of 1972-73: the sold-out concerts at New York's Madison Square Garden; his last Top 10 hit single, "Burning Love"; and the "Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite" concert and TV special that aired in most of the world at different times.

mark ab likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.