Clint Black's "Killin' Time"-A nice slice of '80s Country, Anyone else like this?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Karnak, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..." Thread Starter

I picked up this cd a couple weeks ago blind, was disappointed at not finding "When My Ship Comes In" on it, decided to give it a whirl anyway. While it's certainly not critically acclaimed as something like Dwight Yoakam's "Hillbilly Deluxe", for example, I continue to listen to it. It was a pleasant surprise to find "Nobody's Home"; a song that I had liked for a long time but thought was titled"The Lights Are On..."Anyone else enjoy this?
    (I guess it came out at the end of the 80s and those of you who also like "When My Ship Comes In" can find it on "The Hard Way" Clint's next effort.) Killin time photo.JPG

theodore666 and c-eling like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Put Yourself In My Shoes is Clint's 2nd album and BTW, Killin' Time is a classic album.

theodore666 and heatherly like this.
  3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I liked it at the time, but never owned it. Haven't heard it in over 20 years I guess. . .

4. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

I liked that Doug Stone album

Same era

melstapler likes this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Same here. The title track often gets stuck in my head, however!

6. Karnak

Hey thanx Brad for the correction. Didn't know about "Put Yourself...".
    There's a soft-edged melancholy in some of these songs ie. 'Walking Away', 'Winding Down' and especially 'Nothing's News' that I really like.
    In the last one, Black manages to sound way, way older and much wearier than he actually was at the time.

7. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Yeah that's one of the better albums of the era. I recall liking Clint's first few, most Yoakam and the amiable Don Williams, Ricky Van Shelton's RVS III, Carlene Carter's I Fell in Love, Little Love Letters, Little Acts of Treason... one of the best of its kind in my humble was/is Colin Raye's Extremes.

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

"One Emotion" is mighty fine also, love his music :)

heatherly likes this.
  9. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

'Killin' Time' was a great album when we were also listening to (if my memory serves me well) early Randy Travis, middle George Strait, Steve Earle as a clean cut country boy and Garth Brooks first. Well recorded, well played music that jumped off the turntable.

10. Karnak

I
    Raye's "Somebody Else's Moon" is a great tune.

11. BradOlson

BTW, Killin' Time is Clint's most critically acclaimed album ever.

Karnak likes this.
  12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Not to get too far off topic, but listing all those 80's country acts reminds me of one of my favorite dollar bin lp finds--a sealed copy of Rodney Crowell's Diamonds & Dirt :righton:

Karnak and c-eling like this.
  13. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I went through a brief country spell in the late 80s/early 90s and Killin' Time was my favorite of that period. Great album. Even went and saw Clint in concert!

Karnak likes this.
  14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yeah, this stuff is not only good, it sounds really good too. (I never dug Brooks, though) - seems I ALWAYS end up plugging this album in country threads, but the late Vern Gosdin's "Chiseled in Stone" is a must have from this era.

At that time, I also listened to Roseanne Cash, the Whites, Ricky Skaggs, the Judds, and others I probably need to dig out again. There was tremendous country being made at that time, I think many more people on this forum would enjoy it than they think they would. (sorry about grammar of that last sentence, its REALLY late). Also, I know I am forgetting some very deserving artists and records.

Also on the song "Killin time" I just LOVE the baritone guitar - tasty!

Karnak likes this.
  15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

No offense to the OP but laying the disc down outside of the case is a big NO at my house. I have this album on vinyl. I have several Clint Black titles and while I like a fair amount of his music he always seemed a little on the bland side to me.

16. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Clint was one of the last of the true country artist, at least on his first three albums. Country music has since gone to levels of Hell that even Dante failed to imagine.

Karnak and heatherly like this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Love Clint's first 2 albums best, the vinyl 45 singles make the CD issues sound neutered.

18. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I picked up a cheap copy of this not long ago, knowing that Black was on the tail end of the Yoakam/Travis/Earle trad country of the time. Don't think he measures up to those guys, but it's a solid album.

19. stever

stever Senior Member

Killin' Time, is one of my all-time favorite albums. There is absolutely no filler, and, in my opinion, five classics: A Better Man, Nobody's Home, Walkin' Away, Nothing's News, and, Killin' Time. It's lean and mean at 30 minutes. I can't think of a more enduring, enjoyable country album from the last 25 years.

heatherly likes this.
  20. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

I had that as well thanks for the reminder!

21. BradOlson

These 5 songs were the big hits from the album.

Karnak likes this.
  22. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

Straight from the factory, gotta love that song. I liked the Judds and Ricky as well. I will look out for chiseled in stone as well.

Thanks for the tip Tim

23. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

I loved his appearance on the TV show "Wings" that was during this time period.

24. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

HUGE Clint Black fan, that album is great he tried to have a comeback in 2005 with a solid record called "Drinkin' Songs & Other Logic" but radio wouldn't touch it. Check it out below:

25. BradOlson

The Real Country network did play Heartaches heavily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.