Clipped samples in Adobe Audition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrettyD, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member Thread Starter

I've recently purchased a 2nd DAT (one connected to PC and one on the hi-fi) and so can now happily undertake needle drops to my hearts content. Until I purchase a co-axial SPDIF the DAT is connected to the analog in on my Audiophile 2496 and I'm guessing that the levels are little hot on the transfer in, as Adobe audition reports a few thousand clipped samples.

I need to lower the levels a little but the control mixer thing doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm no doubt missing something really simple and I'll blame it on paint inhalation as I have been home decorating recently.

Anyone have the answer for me?

PS I guess the SPDIF gets around this problem as it just deliver the bits as recorded on the tape?

Alternately, as the 2496 can't boost levels...is it just that the original needle drop recording level is too high?

TIA

2. Cyaneyes

Cyaneyes Forum Resident

The M-Audio Delta cards have no input level controls. I had a similar problem with my Audiophile 192... levels were way low. All adjustments need to be done externally.

So lower your input. You can leave plenty of headroom with the card being 24 bit and having an excellent SNR. Then limit as you please and convert to 16 bit.

PS: Why the extra step of the DAT? You could go direct from phono preamp -> 2496 analog input and gain the benefits of 24 bit depth as well as sampling rates higher than 48khz.

3. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member Thread Starter

The extra step of the DAT is due to the PC and the hifi setup being in different rooms in different parts of the house.
    I like them being separate apart from the difficulties presented when doing needle drops. There are always compromises I guess!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.