Clutch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Complier, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Blast Tyrant.

Clevemojo likes this.
  2. CrewU

CrewU Forum Resident

I have never been a huge fan of Clutch recordings but they are an absolutely great band live. They put on a great show.

misterdecibel likes this.
  3. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

1. Earth Rocker
    2. Blast Tyrant
    3. Psychic Warfare (new)
    4. Pure Rock Fury
    5. Elephant Riders
    6. Clutch Live in Flint

FlatulentDonkey likes this.
  4. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

My clutch keeps slipping on this band!

I've just the one album (Strange Cousins) and its just okay. Saw them live twice and was there both times for the other band (Five Horse Johnston - and the On Fire tour of Spiritual Beggars).

However The Company Band just flat out rocks for me, so I do like something about Fallon but maybe its cause its backed up with a more Fireball Ministry style groove?

A friend in Germany sent me a screen grab (not this one - but its the same gig) saying look familiar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I do love The Company Band but I have barely listened to Clutch. I think the reason for that is The Company Band popped up in my Bandcamp feed and I checked them out.

6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

You really want to listen to as much as you can because their sound has evolved. The groove-rock of Robot Hive and Strange Cousins is one thing but it seems that with the last two albums, they've started rocking harder than ever - without losing that groove. And all the while keeping that weirdness that is Clutch.

Got my tickets for the 2016 tour despite the best efforts of the insufferable Ticketbastard website to deny me. For Clutch, I will not be denied.

D.D.

FlatulentDonkey likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Can't argue with this list, in my opinion Clutch have yet to release a poor album.

SwollenGoat likes this.
  8. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Saw Clutch last Saturday at Upstate Concert Hall in Clifton Park, NY. Second time seeing them and they are such an awesome rock band. Tremendous delivery live, full of songs that groove and make you headbang at the same time. Setlist was good, no complaints at all, 17 tracks probably just shy of 90 mins. Highlights were Crucial Velocity, A Quick Death In Texas, X-Ray Visions, Wolfman Kindly Requests. I'm coming on board with Earth Rocker so I'm partial to the new stuff but I have the full catalog and am slowly working through it. Neil is a unique frontman for sure and has incredible power and poise with his voice. Great drumming too.

Openers were L.A. band Kyng, hard rock/metal trio seen em open for Chevelle before and was impressed, still just as good here. Would catch a headline set from them in a small club if given the opportunity. Also, Zakk Sabbath came to stink up the joint as well. If you ever wanted to see Zakk Wylde play a 10 minute War Pigs solo with his usual style and sound this was the place for you to be. Not impressed with his Sabbath covers idea at all. Band was fine but standing through 50 mins of Sabbath covers was not my idea of fun. At least not when Zakk is playing them. And oh yeah, one of the worst venues ever! Stage tucked into the left corner of the room, god-awful sight lines with one of the bars jutting into the actual floor area, just creating people smashed together, nowhere to go, will really not be returning there if I can ever help it again.

Diamond Dog and SimonSaysCake like this.
  9. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

I gave up on this band several years ago. In retrospect, I really only feel they had two great albums (s/t & Elephant Riders). The last few studio records suffer from poor, boring, bone-dry production (since around Blast Tyrant) and I feel the spark has gone from the song writing. Strange Cousins had one cool song, iirc, but I'm done with these guys.

I haven't enjoy their "rootsy" sounding stuff either.

Early on, Neil had great lyrics & parts & "personalities" in almost all the songs; lots of fun. On stage, I don't think he can deliver that same level of intrigue.

Pure Rock Fury & Robot Hive had some cool songs as well, but not enough.

A lot of their more recent recordings sound like Nashville "bro country" songs with a different, angrier vocalist.

Saw plenty of good live shows back in the day, though!

10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

They deserve credit for turning a major label stint into a successful indie career. Blast Tyrant is amazing.

11. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I sort of feel the same way. I got into them around the time that the Passive Restraints single and Transnational Speedway League were released and was a huge fan at the time. I saw them on tour supporting Sepultura in 1994. The next two albums (Clutch and Elephant Riders) were pretty good, but they really lost me after that. This may sound like a bit of generalization but their post-90's output all kind of sounds the same to me. This seems to be the dividing line for a lot of fans; people who like their more recent material aren't so much into the earlier stuff, and vice-versa.

mx20 likes this.
  12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

13. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I love this place...

D.D.

SwollenGoat likes this.
  14. Stormrider77

I literally have no idea what you're talking about, what tracks off of either Earth Rocker or Psychic Warfare sound like Nashville bro country? You're really stretching here.

SwollenGoat and husafreak like this.
  15. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

How could anyone listen to Psychic Warfare and declare there was no "Spark"?
    How is Clutch a "country" band?
    I'm not crazy about everything they've done but those comments seem so off the mark to me.

16. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Cool little Clutch box set coming out tomorrow. For about $23 it is an autographed 6-Disc set with 5 previously released CDs + live DVD; Bakerton Group (instrumental blues jam side project) "El Rojo", "Strange Cousins From The West", "Earth Rocker" (Deluxe 2CD/DVD edition) & "Psychic Warfare".

I already have Earth Rocker (standard) and Psychic Warfare but for the money I'll double dip on a couple of albums.

SimonSaysCake, McCool71 and JasonA like this.
  17. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I hadn't heard about this. Got a link?

18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

19. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I just want the DVD.

20. Stormrider77

Quick late review of the May 17 Clutch concert I caught at Capitol Theatre in Port Chester NY. Another solid live show, I don't know if Clutch is really capable of putting on a bad show, this one felt more "workman-like" less spark than when I caught them up in Albany or NYC but it's been a long tour off the same album so perhaps it's time for new tunes to enter the setlist. Venue is awesome, slanted floor so you have great sightlines anywhere, not the largest turnout so was easily able to get as close as I wanted pretty much. Highlights were still all the Psychic Warfare material, it's a great album plus some nuggets I've not heard live before like Escape From The Prison Planet and Passive Restraints, an old-school track. Fun band to see live every time they're around.

Clutch Setlist at Capitol Theatre, Port Chester

SwollenGoat and Diamond Dog like this.
  21. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I'll be seeing them tomorrow.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Picked up Pure Rock Fury and the s/t CDs. They were in a $2/10 rack. Never heard a song by them except for A Shotgun Named Marcus video in the 90s.

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

KDubATX likes this.
  24. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Clutch is definitely a modern band where all the CDs sound like garbage because of the dynamic compression used. If you like their music enough to own, you owe it to yourself to get it on vinyl. Most of their recent catalog has been reissued in recent years to where the albums are not hard to find and really don't cost all that much on vinyl.

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

More of the Clutch box sets popped up on amazon.ca. $33.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.