CNN's The History of Comedy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

This reminds me of me and my ex from about 30 years ago. She thought that the Diceman was hilarious but didn't care for Kinison, where I loved Sam's act but anytime I saw Dice I wanted to put my fist through the TV screen.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

So far, I have watched most of the first half of the first episode (the uncensored version). I found it odd that the series started right in with the relatively recent branch of humor dealing with offensive language and overtly sexual humor. I would have preferred an overview, but I guess such humor draws in the audience. I see that a lot in sitcoms (e.g., Man Seeking Woman) and dramas (e.g., Game of Thrones) where they really amp up the often deviant sex angle initially to grab viewership. I thought much of the inclusion of and commentary by modern comedians unnecessary and distracting. I would hate to think that it was Lenny Bruce and George Carlin who were responsible for opening the door for rather unfunny jokes (including pantomime demonstrations) about thumb sex (for lack of a better description). But that appears to be the theme of the initial show . . . and it might unfortunately be true.

beccabear67 likes this.
  3. misterjones

I always thought Lily Tomlin was the best of the modern female comedians. Lucille Ball was a game-changer - you can really see her influence in Gilda Radner, for example - but I think I ODed on her when I was a kid.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think 99.99% of the Steve Allen Tonight Shows are gone, but Allen himself kept some of the Sunday night Steve Allen Show variety episodes.

5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I used to watch the Steve Allen Show daily after school in late sixties. I wonder if any of those shows still exist?

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

me too, man, he could get silly

7. misterjones

A big influence on David Letterman, I think.

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I learned how to say "shpak shpak" from that show, the last name Claveman, and the show "Believe it or forget it". And all those put on by Bob Einstein.

9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have a DVD of Playboy After Dark episodes and there is one with Lenny Bruce. He was incredibly funny.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think Steve Allen has said that all his old Westinghouse shows got wiped. Surprisingly, many of the older NBC Steve Allen Shows survived as kinescopes, but they don't look very good.

IronWaffle likes this.
  11. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I could have sworn he had donated the late-night Westinghouse shows, which I LOVED as a teen, to UCLA. I have one complete show on DVD, an obvious inspiration for Letterman.

12. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

They've been playing them over here recently and I've gotta say they're not very good. Only focusing on American comedy*, constantly switched era's back and forth, and even using low res clips from youtube with everything overall rendered at 24p aka the 'filmized look'.

*As N.Z. is part of the commonwealth, for many decades, NZ television mostly (and in some aspects still does) mirror British Television with more UK centered comedy than American, simply because it translates better over here. To be honest quite a few of the Comedians that were talked about in this CBS series mean nothing to me, or probably the larger population of N.Z. because they were never shown or had fame here.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  13. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Considering the number of UK sitcoms that have been remade in the USA (with varying degrees of success), and the influence that influences that other countries comedy have had in the American industry (right through from Monty Python to Flight of the Conchords), it's disappointing how thoroughly American-centric the series is.

Yeah I know the target market is American, but still...

goodiesguy likes this.
  14. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I've always found it weird that American's go on about how groundbreaking shows like 'All In The Family' and 'Three's Company' were when they are just watered down versions of their original British counterparts. I'd love to see their reactions when they saw the original programs. Alf Garnett makes Archie Bunker look like a saint.

beccabear67 and Flippikat like this.
  15. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Mort Sahl started the whole thing, but was barely mentioned. Maybe it's because he's still alive, still the best, and still working every week. It's easier to mythologize Lenny Bruce. I find people on other sites mention him, but when I ask, I get nothing.. Nothing worse than the "I think I'm supposed to think _______"

I did just hear a commercial about a new season on CNN a few minutes ago... Just heard it again - starting July 15th, 10pm ET

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  16. misterjones

I think few people understand Lenny Bruce - then and now. One has to listen closely to what he is saying. Most don't. He's mythologized, as you say, by many people, but for the wrong reasons. Self-taught in the law, his observations on the law and the legal system were quite insightful.

Love Mort's bit about how he had to fill in for Lenny Bruce after he (Bruce) was suddenly arrested. Mort was working across the street from where Lenny had been performing (possibly the Hungry i and Ann's 440), so when his show was over he'd walk over and fill in. There was a drunk guy in the crowd, who apparently decided to go to both clubs to drink, who shouted to him: "Hey, you should sue the guy performing across the street! He stole your act!"

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault and MortSahlFan like this.
  17. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy this series, but an episode about sketch and improv that totally ignores Whose Line leaves me completely baffled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.